P3/Monitor

Phil LaMarche-2
I have an SVGA on order.  Advice please, not being a computer expert.  Will
I need two monitors or can I purchase the correct monitor and use it for
both the P3 and dedicated ham computer? Really need some help with this
please.

Phil

Philip LaMarche

727-944-3226

727-510-5038 Cell

  <http://www.w9dvm.com/> www.w9dvm.com

 <http://WWW.FLAMGROUP.COM> WWW.FLAMGROUP.COM

K3 # 1605

KPA500 # 029

P3 #1480

 CCA 98-00827

CRA 1701

W9DVM

Re: P3/Monitor

Dick Dievendorff
You can probably use the same monitor for your computer and a P3 SVGA board,
but not at the same time.  VGA and SVGA use the same connector.

Typically a flat screen LCD monitor has multiple inputs, VGA (a 15-pin
D-shell connector), DVI (a slightly different connector) and newer ones may
also have an HDMI connector and/or a DisplayPort connector.

You need a monitor that has (at least) a VGA connector.  Some of the oldest
monitors had only a VGA connector.

Pictures of these connectors are shown in wikipedia.org articles for VGA,
DVI (digital visual interface), and HDMI.

I use DVI connectors from my computers (which are a few years old) to my
monitor.  My current monitors will also support another device attached to
their VGA connectors and yet another through their HDMI connectors.  You
switch between them using a button on the monitor.  If a particular
connector is unused, my monitor cycles around to find an active connection.

You should be able to connect both the P3 to the SVGA port of a reasonably
modern flat screen monitor and your computer (with an appropriate video
card) via DVI or HDMI and switch between them with a front panel monitor
switch.

There are also KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switches that allow you to
connect one set of keyboard, video, and mouse from one computer or another.
If you have a monitor that supports only SVGA and have a KVM switch, that'll
allow you to switch between monitors.

I confess that I haven't done any of this with my P3.  I've just connected
it to an older small flat screen that I had around and dispensed with the
switching.

Flat screen monitors are quite affordable these days.  My limitation is desk
space.  I use a 2 x 24" pair for software development work and the same pair
for radio contests with a different computer connected with a dual KVM
switch. The P3's monitor is separate and dedicated. When I get more room,
I'll go back to dedicated pairs.

There are also some newer monitors and flat-screen TV that advertise
"Picture in Picture" capability.  Use your favorite search engine for
"Picture in picture monitor".  I haven't ever used one of these.

Dick, K6KR

Re: P3/Monitor

Rick WA6NHC
Phil,

If you want to see the computer and the P3 display at the same time you will
need to get two monitors, one for each.

If you want to switch between them, you can do that *IF* the computer is DVI
or HDMI capable.  The P3SVGA is VGA capable, so you would connect both and
switch back and forth by using the monitor controls.

An 'augmentation' (and what I plan to do) is the use of a newer HDTV as a
monitor.  This allows a third function in the shack (TV, at slightly more
cost than an equally sized monitor) but one has to get the HDTV with PIP
(using the VGA input) so you can see both 'the game' and the P3 at the same
time.  By the time the new station is built, it will also be 'the man cave'.

73,

Rick WA6NHC

Re: P3/Monitor

Gary K9GS
OK...I've been meaning to ask someone about this.

What's the difference between a TV with a VGA "computer" input and a
computer monitor?  Is it simply the TV having a tuner?

On 3/16/2012 11:00 AM, Rick Bates wrote:

> Phil,
>
> If you want to see the computer and the P3 display at the same time you will
> need to get two monitors, one for each.
>
> If you want to switch between them, you can do that *IF* the computer is DVI
> or HDMI capable.  The P3SVGA is VGA capable, so you would connect both and
> switch back and forth by using the monitor controls.
>
> An 'augmentation' (and what I plan to do) is the use of a newer HDTV as a
> monitor.  This allows a third function in the shack (TV, at slightly more
> cost than an equally sized monitor) but one has to get the HDTV with PIP
> (using the VGA input) so you can see both 'the game' and the P3 at the same
> time.  By the time the new station is built, it will also be 'the man cave'.
>
> 73,
>
> Rick WA6NHC

Gary K9GS

Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org
Society of Midwest Contesters: http://www.w9smc.com
CW Ops #1032   http://www.cwops.org

Re: P3/Monitor

Kevin Stover
If you've got a 1080p HDTV with either VGA (not likely), DVI, or HDMI
inputs and a source with those outputs there isn't any difference. 1080P
runs at a resolution if 1920x1080. That's what I run my pair of 24" wide
screen LCD monitors at on this computer. The HDTV will be about double
the cost of a good wide screen LCD monitor, if not more.

If it's not an HD TV don't even bother. The result will look like crap.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: P3/Monitor

Rick WA6NHC
A quick scan of the local Costco a couple weeks ago showed about $100
difference between a monitor and HDTV of similar size (1080P).  I limited
the search to only those that had HDMI and VGA inputs, but PIP wasn't always
a possibility.

Rick WA6NHC

If you've got a 1080p HDTV with either VGA (not likely), DVI, or HDMI
inputs and a source with those outputs there isn't any difference. 1080P
runs at a resolution if 1920x1080. That's what I run my pair of 24" wide
screen LCD monitors at on this computer. The HDTV will be about double
the cost of a good wide screen LCD monitor, if not more.

If it's not an HD TV don't even bother. The result will look like crap.

On 03/16/2012 08:05 PM, Gary K9GS wrote:
> OK...I've been meaning to ask someone about this.
>
> What's the difference between a TV with a VGA "computer" input and a
> computer monitor?  Is it simply the TV having a tuner?

Re: P3/Monitor

Gary K9GS
Thank you Kevin (and others).  That's the response I was looking for.