P3 -- Span slow to update

Nate Bargmann
A couple of weeks ago I updated the P3 FW from 1.09 to 1.16 and while
I've not noticed any improvements since I don't have the SVGA board, I
have noticed that the SPAN adjusts very slowly now.  Before the update
it adjusted about as fast as the knob was turned but now I can overrun it
quite easily or I need to turn the knob quite slowly.  Has anyone else
observed this behavior?  If this is the new "normal" I think I'll go
back to 1.09!

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Charles Johnson
I see the same behavior. P3 without the SVGA board on 1.16 firmware.

73, Charlie, K4ZRJ

On May 7, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago I updated the P3 FW from 1.09 to 1.16 and while
> I've not noticed any improvements since I don't have the SVGA board, I
> have noticed that the SPAN adjusts very slowly now.  Before the update
> it adjusted about as fast as the knob was turned but now I can overrun it
> quite easily or I need to turn the knob quite slowly.  Has anyone else
> observed this behavior?  If this is the new "normal" I think I'll go
> back to 1.09!
>
> 73, de Nate, N0NB >>
>
> --
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
>
> Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Arthur Burke
Do you still have the same baud rate (38400) between the K3 and the P3?
Art - N4PJ

On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Charles Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I see the same behavior. P3 without the SVGA board on 1.16 firmware.
>
> 73, Charlie, K4ZRJ
>
> On May 7, 2012, at 8:43 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> > A couple of weeks ago I updated the P3 FW from 1.09 to 1.16 and while
> > I've not noticed any improvements since I don't have the SVGA board, I
> > have noticed that the SPAN adjusts very slowly now.  Before the update
> > it adjusted about as fast as the knob was turned but now I can overrun it
> > quite easily or I need to turn the knob quite slowly.  Has anyone else
> > observed this behavior?  If this is the new "normal" I think I'll go
> > back to 1.09!
> >
> > 73, de Nate, N0NB >>
> >
> > --
> >
> > "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
> > possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."
> >
> > Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://www.n0nb.us
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Nate Bargmann
* On 2012 08 May 08:33 -0500, Arthur Burke wrote:
> Do you still have the same baud rate (38400) between the K3 and the P3?

Yes I do, Art, as well as 38400 between the P3 and computer as before
with FW 1.09.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Arthur Burke
Didn't mean to sound insulting if it did. I was trying something new the
other day and noticed my P3 was verrryyy slow to update and discovered the
baud rate on the P3 was still 38400 but the K3 was a much slower number.
Scared me at first until I realized my error.

Art - N4PJ

* On 2012 08 May 08:41 -0500, Arthur Burke wrote:
> Didn't mean to sound insulting if it did.

I didn't take it that way at all.  :-)

In fact I double checked using the K3 utility remotely and now looking
at the programmers reference the serial rate can only be queried from
the rig itself.  So, I will double check that things haven't changed
when I get back to the rig.

Thanks!

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Nate Bargmann
I verified the K3 to P3 link is set to 38400 and the SPAN adjustment was
still quite slow.  So I have reverted back to FW 1.09 and the SPAN
adjustment is once again fast as I'd gotten used to since September.
After loading 1.09 the K3 to P3 link remains at 38400.

Let me ask this, after pondering for a while, why would the K3 to P3
serial speed have any bearing on the SPAN control?  It seems that is
internal to the P3 as it is adjusting the displayed bandwidth.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Nate,

I was able to verify that in version 1.09 span changes are a little faster than 1.16 .  We'll take a look at that since we added quite a bit of code to support the SVGA and fixed some remote control commands.

73,

Paul

Nate Bargmann wrote

* On 2012 08 May 17:15 -0500, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:
> Hi Nate,
>
> I was able to verify that in version 1.09 span changes are a little faster
> than 1.16 .  We'll take a look at that since we added quite a bit of code to
> support the SVGA and fixed some remote control commands.

Paul,

On a whim I decided to load P3 FW 1.20 earlier this evening and note
that the span adjustment still is much slower than it was in 1.09.  I'd
like to switch back, but I must have deleted 1.09.  I don't see it
anywhere on the FTP server so I guess I'm out of luck.  Bummer.

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Nate Bargmann
Such support!

No fewer than three messages were waiting in my Inbox this morning with
P3 firmware 1.09 almost completely unsolicited (I'd only mentioned that
I couldn't find it on the FTP server).  Thank you so much!

I'll now be sure not to lose it.  Heh!

73, de Nate, N0NB >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Dan Maase AC6DM
Paul:

Just updated my P3 and K3 to latest FW after both  in storage after a move.  P3 MCU from 1.0 to 1.20.  Have SVGA option installed, but before attaching monitor, noted slowdown of P3 display update.  I've confirmed Nate's feedback that it drops to a crawl at about 150 ms and basically freezes by the time update down to less than 50 ms. (gets slower as rate decreases).  When P3 is at slow update, a power cycle clears the problem and the rate previously selected is now functional.  Is there a configuration parameter that conflicts?  BTW, serial connection baud rate is 38.4 kbps at both P3 and K3.

May also want to revert to MCU 1.09 if that is available.

73

Dan
AC6DM

"Paul,

On a whim I decided to load P3 FW 1.20 earlier this evening and note
that the span adjustment still is much slower than it was in 1.09.  I'd
like to switch back, but I must have deleted 1.09.  I don't see it
anywhere on the FTP server so I guess I'm out of luck.  Bummer.

73, de Nate, N0NB >> "

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Dan,

When you upgraded the P3 firmware to 1.20, did you also upgrade the SVGA
firmware as well?  To ensure this happens, download and install the latest
version of the P3 Utility which can found  (the correct link) HERE
<http://www.elecraft.com/software/P3/P3_Utility_Setup_1_12_10_4.exe>   .

If you ever want to go back to an older release of firmware, chances are it
will still be on your computer, but you'll need to delete the most recent
version.  To do this, start the P3 utility and click on the Firmware tab.
Note the path that is displayed under "Local Path For Firmware Files" ,
navigate to this path using My Computer.  Once you are in the directory you
will find files that look like "p3m####.hex and p3s####.hex .  The #### are
the version numbers without the decimal point.  You need to delete or move
any of the files with a revision that is newer than the version you want to
load.  For example, if you want to load version 1.09 you'll probably find
p3m0120.hex, p3m0111.hex etc.  Any file that has a #### greater than 0109
would need to be deleted or moved into a temporary folder.  Once this is
done, restart the P3 utility.  You should now be able to download 1.09.
Note that the P3 MCU firmware did not support the SVGA board until version
1.11 .  If you would like additional help, please feel free to call me at
Elecraft 831-763-4211 or email me at pauls at elecraft.....

73,

Paul

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

T Gahagan-2
Hi Dan,

I had this occur and changing my span from 150 Khz to something less like
100 Khz made the refresh rate begin to function normally again.  Not sure if
this will help you or not.  I'm running the latest firmware.

73,
Todd, WA7U

Re: P3 -- Span slow to update

tomb18
Hi
I noticed the same behaviour recently as we'll.
In addition, it appears that sometimes the p3 will not issue a qsy either from the hardware or via software either.
It seems to happen when there is a fair bit of rs232 activity to the k3.
Ill look at this in more detail in the next couple of days since I happen to be in the middle of optimizing the communications Tito the k3 in some software I'm writing.
Tom