P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
I just noticed on my fairly new P3 that VFO B marker shows up on the screen even though it is on a different band. There is no carrier frequency line like when VFO B is on the same band but the magenta band is there. Is that normal?

John N1JM

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
It also seems to vary with span. It may appear at 25khz span but be off screen at 100khz span, etc.

John N1JM

John_N1JM wrote
I just noticed on my fairly new P3 that VFO B marker shows up on the screen even though it is on a different band. There is no carrier frequency line like when VFO B is on the same band but the magenta band is there. Is that normal?

John N1JM

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

Rick Prather-2
John,

Sounds like what you are seeing is not the VFO B marker but the P3's MKR B.

You should be able to move it with the P3's SELECT knob and turn it off by holding the MKR B button on the P3.

Rick
K6LE

On 12/17/2011, at 5:54 , John_N1JM wrote:

> I just noticed on my fairly new P3 that VFO B marker shows up on the screen
> even though it is on a different band. There is no carrier frequency line
> like when VFO B is on the same band but the magenta band is there. Is that
> normal?
>
> John N1JM

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
Rick:

It's not marker B. I can turn marker B on and off. If someone wants to check it, tune VFO A to 7.160 and B to 14.155 with span set to 25khz. The magenta bar or u shows up to the left of green A. It moves as you tune VFO B. There is no carrier line, however on B as there is for A.

John N1JM

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

Jim Sheldon
John is correct.  I can duplicate the symptoms here as well and there is no bright center line, only the magenta bar which does move when you move VFO B.  As soon as you configure menu item VFO IND to NO, the line disappears and, of course the two VFO's stay on the same band.

Jim - W0EB

> Rick:
>
> It's not marker B. I can turn marker B on and off. If someone wants
> to check
> it, tune VFO A to 7.160 and B to 14.155 with span set to 25khz. The
> magenta
> bar or u shows up to the left of green A. It moves as you tune VFO
> B. There
> is no carrier line, however on B as there is for A.
>
> John N1JM

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
Jim:

Glad I am not alone :-). Maybe this is normal or a bug. Hopefully Elecraft
might chime in on this or I will email support.

73, John N1JM

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John is correct.  I can duplicate the symptoms here as well and there is
> no bright center line, only the magenta bar which does move when you move
> VFO B.  As soon as you configure menu item VFO IND to NO, the line
> disappears and, of course the two VFO's stay on the same band.
>
> Jim - W0EB
>
> > Rick:
> >
> > It's not marker B. I can turn marker B on and off. If someone wants
> > to check
> > it, tune VFO A to 7.160 and B to 14.155 with span set to 25khz. The
> > magenta
> > bar or u shows up to the left of green A. It moves as you tune VFO
> > B. There
> > is no carrier line, however on B as there is for A.
> >
> > John N1JM
> >
> > --
> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

sent on my MacBook Pro

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

Jim Sheldon
The magenta bar actually tracks the KHz digits of VFO B but apparently only in the instance where the difference frequency between VFO A and VFO B is 7 MHz.  No matter what either VFO is set to, if you set the other one 7.0 MHz either above or below that frequency, and the P3's SPAN to EXACTLY 25 KHz, the phenomenon occurs.  If SPAN is set to anything other than an exact 25 KHz (+/- 12.5) the bar disappears.

Jim - W0EB

> Jim:
>
> Glad I am not alone :-). Maybe this is normal or a bug. Hopefully
> Elecraft might chime in on this or I will email support.
>

> 73, John N1JM
>
> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Jim Sheldon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> John is correct.  I can duplicate the symptoms here as well and
>> there is no bright center line, only the magenta bar which does
>> move when you move VFO B.  As soon as you configure menu item VFO
>> IND to NO, the line disappears and, of course the two VFO's stay
>> on the same band.
>>

>> Jim - W0EB
>>
>> Rick:
>>
>> It's not marker B. I can turn marker B on and off. If someone
>> wants
>> to check
>> it, tune VFO A to 7.160 and B to 14.155 with span set to 25khz.
>> The
>> magenta
>> bar or u shows up to the left of green A. It moves as you tune VFO
>> B. There
>> is no carrier line, however on B as there is for A.
>>
>> John N1JM
>>
>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>> Please help support this email list:
>> http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
On my P3 I can get it to do it at 10, 25 and 50 kHz spans. It will also do
it with other combinations of VFOs on different bands at 10, 25, and 50
spans.

John N1JM

--
sent on my MacBook Pro

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
The more I look at it, it looks like it happens on all bands where VFOs are
on different bands but maybe only at those spans.
Of course one could turn of the b VFO marker until the VFOs are on the same
band :-).

John N1JM

--
sent on my MacBook Pro

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
Not to beat it to death but the 100khz digits on each VFO need to be close to each other for it to happen such as VFO A is 7267 and VFO B is 21261.

John N1JM

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

Gary Gregory
Curious....do you have the second receiver installed to do this?

Gary

VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
Elecraft Equipment
K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
Living the dream!!!

  --
  sent on my MacBook Pro

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
Yes.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Gary VK4FD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
> Curious....do you have the second receiver installed to do this?
>
> Gary
>

> VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
> Elecraft Equipment
> K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
> Living the dream!!!

Stephen  Prior
I can't duplicate any of this on my K3/P3 combo.

73, Stephen G4SJP

On 17/12/2011 22:00, "John_N1JM" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Not to beat it to death but the 100khz digits on each VFO need to be
>close to
>each other for it to happen such as VFO A is 7267 and VFO B is 21261.
>
>John N1JM
>
>--
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

Jim Sheldon
Hadn't thought about that aspect, but yes, I also have the 2nd receiver installed.  I didn't try other frequency relationships and only a couple of different SPAN widths when it disappeared after moving off the 25KHz.  Getting back in the Stew Perry 160 meter contest so don't have much time to play with this right now.

Jim - W0EB

> Curious....do you have the second receiver installed to do this?
>
> Gary
>

> VK4FD - Motorhome Mobile
> Elecraft Equipment
> K3 #679, KPA-500 #018
> Living the dream!!!

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

John_N1JM
What firmware version do you have in your P3?

John N1JM

Stephen Prior wrote
I can't duplicate any of this on my K3/P3 combo.

73, Stephen G4SJP

On 17/12/2011 22:00, "John_N1JM" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Not to beat it to death but the 100khz digits on each VFO need to be
>close to
>each other for it to happen such as VFO A is 7267 and VFO B is 21261.
>
>John N1JM
>
>--
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: P3 and K3 VFOB

Alan Bloom
John,

Thanks for the exact description so I could confirm the bug.  It's very
strange - it only happens when cross-band and at certain spans and
frequencies.  I'll add it to the bug list.

Alan N1AL