P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

W5RDW
Got the P3/SVGA today. It was an assembled unit with the SVGA factory installed. I am powering it off the K3 +12 volt output. The new power cable is in the mail. It has not shut down after all afternoon and evening ON.

It has never displayed the actual RF frequency up in the center top of the screen or at the left or right side top. Zero is at the top center and the +/- Spans are at the ends. I can adjust the span as it describes. The Markers only display the offset from the center, not the RF frequency.

I cannot toggle it to the Fixed Mode also. It stays in the Tracking Mode. I have the latest firmware installed (P3 1.12, K3 MCU 4.39, FPF 1.14, DSP1 2.73). The cables between the P3 and the K3 are per the manual.  I  even tried a reload of the K3 and P3 firmware and even reinitialized the P3 (page 28 of the manual).

I am using an external 19 inch flat panel Acer monitor. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Roger W5RDW

Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roger,

My first inclination would be that the issues you're seeing are due to
lack of power.  I'd power the P3 from another source with a temporary
cord, if you can, while you await arrival of the one from Elecraft.
That might make all the difference in the world.

HTH.

73,

--Ian

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688

On 3/21/2012 10:52 PM, W5RDW wrote:

> Got the P3/SVGA today. It was an assembled unit with the SVGA factory
> installed. I am powering it off the K3 +12 volt output. The new power cable
> is in the mail. It has not shut down after all afternoon and evening ON.
>
> It has never displayed the actual RF frequency up in the center top of the
> screen or at the left or right side top. Zero is at the top center and the
> +/- Spans are at the ends. I can adjust the span as it describes. The
> Markers only display the offset from the center, not the RF frequency.
>
> I cannot toggle it to the Fixed Mode also. It stays in the Tracking Mode. I
> have the latest firmware installed (P3 1.12, K3 MCU 4.39, FPF 1.14, DSP1
> 2.73). The cables between the P3 and the K3 are per the manual.  I  even
> tried a reload of the K3 and P3 firmware and even reinitialized the P3 (page
> 28 of the manual).
>
> I am using an external 19 inch flat panel Acer monitor. Any ideas what I am
> doing wrong?
>
> Roger W5RDW
>

> -----
> Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

W5RDW
I will do that. I thought of that, but it is late and I am tired of chasing
the problems down while having fun with it.

Thanks for the help! I have a new Rig Runner I am going to use to power the
rest of the +12 volt devices on the table, so this will give me a reason to
make the first DC cord for it!

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, Texas

My first inclination would be that the issues you're seeing are due to
lack of power.  I'd power the P3 from another source with a temporary
cord, if you can, while you await arrival of the one from Elecraft.
That might make all the difference in the world.

HTH.

73,

--Ian

Ian Kahn, KM4IK
Roswell, GA
[hidden email]
K3 #281, P3 #688

On 3/21/2012 10:52 PM, W5RDW wrote:

> Got the P3/SVGA today. It was an assembled unit with the SVGA factory
> installed. I am powering it off the K3 +12 volt output. The new power
> cable
> is in the mail. It has not shut down after all afternoon and evening ON.
>
> It has never displayed the actual RF frequency up in the center top of the
> screen or at the left or right side top. Zero is at the top center and the
> +/- Spans are at the ends. I can adjust the span as it describes. The
> Markers only display the offset from the center, not the RF frequency.
>
> I cannot toggle it to the Fixed Mode also. It stays in the Tracking Mode.
> have the latest firmware installed (P3 1.12, K3 MCU 4.39, FPF 1.14, DSP1
> 2.73). The cables between the P3 and the K3 are per the manual.  I  even
> tried a reload of the K3 and P3 firmware and even reinitialized the P3
> (page
> 28 of the manual).
>
> I am using an external 19 inch flat panel Acer monitor. Any ideas what I
> am
> doing wrong?
>
> Roger W5RDW
>

> -----
> Roger W5RDW

Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

Cady, Fred
I think you might get that display if you do not have the serial cable
between the P3 and the K3.
Cheers and 73,
Fred
KE7X
"The Elecraft K3: Design, Configuration, and Operation"
www.ke7.com

Re: P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

W5RDW
OK, problem solved! The baud rate was not set to 38400 on the K3. It was set to another value. Now the P3 is playing like it should! and still plugged into the K3 +12 volt DC out!

Thanks to all that e-mailed me with help and encouragement!
Roger W5RDW

Re: P3 w/SVGA - No actual RF Frequency display

W5RDW
.................But it did finally burp when I changed bands like the others have noted. I am building a new DC cable for the P3 to go to the Astron until the factory one arrives.

Love that BIG screen! Thought I would never say that for a "little" 19 inch flat panel display, as I have two of those laying around, as they were replaced with 22 inch and bigger monitors for my computers!
Roger W5RDW