P3SVGA

N5GE-2

SVGA setup here is 1440 x 900 Can't set the HP 2311x to 1920 x 1080 because the
right side of the image goes off the screen.

Comments (mostly aesthetic)
1. On the P3 screen Marker A and B cursors are the same width as the vertical
tuning line.  On the VGA display they are at least 2 or three times the width of
the tuning cursor.  The tuning lines and the cursors should be the same width on
the SVGA screen as they are on the P3 display.

2. The tick marks horizontal line at the bottom of the screen are shorter than
the ones on the horizontal line at the top of the screen by a pixel or two.

3. Setting the font size on the SVGA only changes the font size in the label at
the top left of the display.  Example "MKR A:
                                       3.524.00"
4. I like the fill below spectrum line feature.

5. A few times while moving the A and B markers the screen on the SVGA locked
up.  Turning the P3 off and on resets the problem.

Thanks for all you guys do for us.

Tom

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

Re: P3SVGA

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Tom,

We made the marker lines wider on the SVGA to be more visible given the greater resolution and number of pixels.  As you know, a 2048 FFT is performed on the SVGA, completely separate from the P3's FFT.  In fact the SVGA while very similar to the P3's display by design is not going to be a perfect duplicate.

The extra settings within the SVGA menu, such as font size and waterfall color bias are set to be implemented on the next release of SVGA firmware.  We found a significant problem in P3 version 1.12 and wanted to get v1.13 out quickly.

We're also investigating why a few monitors do not sync correctly at 1920x1080.

Would you please message me the steps you performed that locked up the P3SVGA?

73,

Paul

N5GE-2 wrote
[...]

Dave New, N8SBE
Seems that implementing 1920 x 1080 at 58 Hz, instead of 60 Hz, is at
the root of the issue.

Seems that there are a great number of monitors that don't grok the 58
Hz stuff properly at that resolution.

Have you hit a limit in the chip set such that you can't implement 1920
x 1080 at 60 Hz?

That would be a shame.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

Re: P3SVGA

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Dave,

58 Hz is the vertical sync not the horizontal.  The horizontal sync
seems to be the issue.

73,

Paul

On 3/30/2012 11:07 AM, Dave New, N8SBE wrote:

> Seems that implementing 1920 x 1080 at 58 Hz, instead of 60 Hz, is at
> the root of the issue.
>
> Seems that there are a great number of monitors that don't grok the 58
> Hz stuff properly at that resolution.
>
> Have you hit a limit in the chip set such that you can't implement 1920
> x 1080 at 60 Hz?
>
> That would be a shame.
>
> 73,
>
> -- Dave, N8SBE

Paul Saffren - n6hz
Firmware Engineer
Elecraft Inc.
831.763.4211
www.elecraft.com

Re: P3SVGA

Dave New, N8SBE
The vertical frame rate also affects the horizontal rate.

Think of it this way -- if you have the same number of pixels (1920 x
1080) to paint in the same geometry, then doing it 60 times a second
instead of 58 times a second means that each horizontal line must be
painted faster, and therefore the individual pixel times are shorter
(the pixel clock rate is faster).

So, yes, changing the vertical refresh also affects the horizontal
timing, and could very well cause a monitor that can't adjust the pixel
clock to match to show a wrong-width display.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE