P3SVGA waterfall problem

N8LP
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't get a waterfall display
on my external monitor. I have tried the entire range of the REF
control. It looks fine on the small display, of course. All I get on the
big monitor is black where the waterfall should be. I have tried all
four resolution settings and three different monitors. I am running P3
v1.13 and SVGA  v1.02. Is anyone else seeing this?

Larry N8LP

-----
No virus found in this message.

P3SVGA waterfall problem

vk4tux
It takes time to load, did you wait 5 minutes and see if the waterfall
extends from top down?

Re: P3SVGA waterfall problem

Bill Hammond
Hi Larry,
Might try increasing the reference level on the P3 or the intensity (brightness on the monitor).  I have noticed it takes some playing to get the display you want.
73,
Bill
AK5X

On Apr 8, 2012, at 12:44 PM, Larry Phipps wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I can't get a waterfall display
> on my external monitor. I have tried the entire range of the REF
> control. It looks fine on the small display, of course. All I get on the
> big monitor is black where the waterfall should be. I have tried all
> four resolution settings and three different monitors. I am running P3
> v1.13 and SVGA  v1.02. Is anyone else seeing this?
>
> Larry N8LP
>

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Bill Hammond
[hidden email]
Bill Hammond-AK5X
[hidden email]
[hidden email]
K3 #69
P3 #817
KPA500 # 149
K2/100 #4637
K1 #2033
KX1 #1023
T1

Re: P3SVGA waterfall problem

N8LP
It has been running for a week with just the pan display on the top and black on the bottom. I can move the dividing line, but the waterfall is always black.

Larry N8LP

Re: P3SVGA waterfall problem

N8LP
Hi Bill. I tried the entire range of the REF level control with no effect. Raising the brightness on the display just causes the black to turn gray, plus I want to share the monitor with other things which precludes having a special setup just for P3.

Larry N8LP

Re: P3SVGA waterfall problem

vk4tux
Sorry Larry, I guess there is nothing simple about your issue. I would check
the kit installation , the i/o board pins etc.
Otherwise perhaps send the P3 as is to elecraft. Cant think what else could
help. Hope you get it resolved soon.

Adrian .... vk4tux
> It has been running for a week with just the pan display on the top and
> black on the bottom. I can move the dividing line, but the waterfall is
> always black.
>
> Larry N8LP
>

> On 4/8/2012 3:13 PM, Adrian wrote:
>> It takes time to load, did you wait 5 minutes and see if the waterfall
>> extends from top down?

W4CCS

For what its worth, I have the same problem as Larry. The waterfall on
the P3 is OK but NOT on the VGA monitor. It seems as if some traces are
OK but others do not even register but I do see some of them. Not a
problem for me however because I do not use the waterfall display at all..

W4CCS

On 4/8/2012 3:47 PM, Adrian wrote:

> Sorry Larry, I guess there is nothing simple about your issue. I would check
> the kit installation , the i/o board pins etc.
> Otherwise perhaps send the P3 as is to elecraft. Cant think what else could
> help. Hope you get it resolved soon.
>
> Adrian .... vk4tux

Paul Saffren N6HZ
Hi Larry,

Would you be able to give me a call at Elecraft today or email me your phone number and good time to call?  I would like to talk to you about the waterfall problem you are having with your P3SVGA board.  Just call the main Elecraft number and ask for Paul S.

73,

Paul

Re: P3SVGA waterfall problem

Paul Saffren N6HZ
W4CCS,

The next version of SVGA firmware has a 'bias' feature that allows the user to increase the waterfall coloring threshold.

73,

Paul

W4CCS wrote
For what its worth, I have the same problem as Larry. The waterfall on
the P3 is OK but NOT on the VGA monitor. It seems as if some traces are
OK but others do not even register but I do see some of them. Not a
problem for me however because I do not use the waterfall display at all..

W4CCS

On 4/8/2012 3:47 PM, Adrian wrote:
> Sorry Larry, I guess there is nothing simple about your issue. I would check
> the kit installation , the i/o board pins etc.
> Otherwise perhaps send the P3 as is to elecraft. Cant think what else could
> help. Hope you get it resolved soon.
>
> Adrian .... vk4tux

Tom Azlin N4ZPT-2
Thanks Paul.

that will help me!  Waterfall is too dark on the external display when
is set where i like it on the P3 display. I just set it in between but
will enjoy the bias setting.

Also noticed a calibration difference between the two displays. Looks
like they are about 3-4 dB different when long term averaged.

73, tom n4zpt

On 4/10/2012 12:27 PM, Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote:

> W4CCS,
>
> The next version of SVGA firmware has a 'bias' feature that allows the user
> to increase the waterfall coloring threshold.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul
>

> W4CCS wrote
>>
>> For what its worth, I have the same problem as Larry. The waterfall on
>> the P3 is OK but NOT on the VGA monitor. It seems as if some traces are
>> OK but others do not even register but I do see some of them. Not a
>> problem for me however because I do not use the waterfall display at all..
>>
>> W4CCS
>>
>> On 4/8/2012 3:47 PM, Adrian wrote:
>>> Sorry Larry, I guess there is nothing simple about your issue. I would
>>> check
>>> the kit installation , the i/o board pins etc.
>>> Otherwise perhaps send the P3 as is to elecraft. Cant think what else
>>> could
>>> help. Hope you get it resolved soon.
>>>
>>> Adrian .... vk4tux

Vic Rosenthal
I've been told that the calibration difference is a known bug that will be fixed.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: P3SVGA waterfall problem

N8LP
I received the replacement board you sent yesterday and popped it in last night. All is OK now. Thanks for the quick turnaround. I'll get the original board back in the mail today for you to inspect.

BTW, in addition to the future waterfall bias adjustment, would it be possible to have a similar adjustment for external monitor height, or just an independent external waterfall height adjustment?

Thanks and 73,
Larry N8LP

Paul Saffren N6HZ wrote