PIC Programming Book

k0wa@swbell.net

My friend, Jeff, who is not ham (His wife is...go figure) is a computer Linux
geek and is trying to figure out how to program PIC computers.  I told him the
other day that some Hams use them all the time in projects.  Not me...but some
hams do.

He is having some issues with finding information about registers.  I wonder if
the people on the list could point me to books, manuals, information concerning
the programming of PIC devices?

Lee - K0WA

 In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
Sense divine?

Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
-  John W. (Kansas)

Re: PIC Programming Book

Jack Smith-6
Although it's a few years old now, perhaps my book on PIC programming
with MBasic would be of interest. It has several amateur radio related
projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Microcontroller-MBASIC-Embedded-Technology/dp/0750679468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297433542&sr=8-1

Jack K8ZOA

On 2/11/2011 8:59 AM, Lee Buller wrote:

> My friend, Jeff, who is not ham (His wife is...go figure) is a computer Linux
> geek and is trying to figure out how to program PIC computers.  I told him the
> other day that some Hams use them all the time in projects.  Not me...but some
> hams do.
>
> He is having some issues with finding information about registers.  I wonder if
> the people on the list could point me to books, manuals, information concerning
> the programming of PIC devices?
>

> Lee - K0WA
>

>   In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Re: PIC Programming Book

ac0h
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 05:59:00 -0800 (PST)
Lee Buller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My friend, Jeff, who is not ham (His wife is...go figure) is a
> computer Linux geek and is trying to figure out how to program PIC
> computers.  I told him the other day that some Hams use them all the
> time in projects.  Not me...but some hams do.
>
> He is having some issues with finding information about registers.  I
> wonder if the people on the list could point me to books, manuals,
> information concerning the programming of PIC devices?
>

> Lee - K0WA

Here's a place to start.

http://www.warpedlogic.co.uk/node/3

It all depends on what he's using to program, Assembly Language or a
high level language like C. If he's using Linux then it won't be Basic.

I've been playing with the idea of learning the way of the PIC. I'm a
network/systems admin kinda guy so programming will be new. We'll see
if I've got the patience.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H

Re: PIC Programming Book

alsopb
Lee and Jeff,

By registers, I think you are referring to those bits which must be set
to select the various options a particular PIC pin may be used for.
(If not skip the rest of this posting.)

Setting these registers is the bane of PIC programming.

There is a tendency for the programming documentation to send one to the
nearly incomprehensible device spec sheet for details.  It varies from
device to device.  These sheets usually give examples in assembly
programming which really don't help the common man much.

The real solution seems to be to find a bit of coding that does
something similar and use it as guidance.

Some of the problem is with the compiler used to generate the hex code.
  Some are smart enough to set some or all of the registers for one,
some are not.

If one is just fooling around trying to get one's feet wet in PIC
programing then the PIC-AXE series of devices are ideal.  There is a
free BASIC language compiler.  There are no registers to set!  The price
per device is in the $5 to $10 price range. They are in circuit
programmable so one doesn't need separate hardware to do the
programming.  I just finished up rotor control box using one of their
low end chips.

One might think that these devices can't do much.  Not so.  How about:
12 bit A/D converters (many/chip), D/A, RS232 I/O, IR device I/O,
keyboard and keypad input, servo output, temperature read routines, +
lots more.  Most are accessible with one or two line commands.  No
registers to set!

We've fooled with here are the PARALLAX PIC's.  Easy like above and in
circuit programmable.  Also no registers but $50 and up per chip is a
barrier.

Then there is the MIKROBASIC suite of programs and compilers (BASIC,C,
PASCAL, assembly) for 16F type chips (actually it encompasses the entire
family through 40 pin PICS).  One can do a lot with the free versions of
their compilers.  It requires a separate programming board and is geared
to more high end chips/applications.  Documentation is decent and has
lots of examples.  I made up a custom and software programmable antenna
switch box using one of the 40 pin PIC's and the K3 BCD band data
outputs.  Registers have to be mostly set by the user but some typical
defaults are contained in device dependent chip files.

Here are some links:

http://www.mikroe.com/forum/
http://www.rev-ed.co.uk/picaxe/

It is totally amazing what can be done with a few bytes or RAM and a few
K of ROM.  Once logic can be built into a chip, a whole world of
possibilities open up.

BTW, I'm just an amateur with all the above.  It does take some (or a
sometimes a lot of) muddling through to get there.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 2/11/2011 13:59, Lee Buller wrote:

> My friend, Jeff, who is not ham (His wife is...go figure) is a computer Linux
> geek and is trying to figure out how to program PIC computers.  I told him the
> other day that some Hams use them all the time in projects.  Not me...but some
> hams do.
>
> He is having some issues with finding information about registers.  I wonder if
> the people on the list could point me to books, manuals, information concerning
> the programming of PIC devices?
>

> Lee - K0WA
>

>   In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't
> have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any
> Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common
> Sense divine?
>
> Common Sense is the image of the Creator expressing revealed truth in my mind.
> -  John W. (Kansas)

Re: PIC Programming Book

John Magliacane
--- On Fri, 2/11/11, Lee Buller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My friend, Jeff, who is not ham (His wife is...go figure)
> is a computer Linux geek and is trying to figure out how
> to program PIC computers.  I told him the other day that
> some Hams use them all the time in projects.  Not me...but
> some hams do.
>
> He is having some issues with finding information about
> registers.  I wonder if the people on the list could point
> me to books, manuals, information concerning the programming
> of PIC devices?
>

> Lee - K0WA

Lee,

I have assembled PIC code under Linux for several different Microchip microcontrollers using GPUTILS:

   http://gputils.sourceforge.net/

and have programmed them using Picprog:

  http://hyvatti.iki.fi/~jaakko/pic/picprog.html

Microchip's web site (http://www.microchip.com) provides datasheets, tutorials, and sample code for use by anyone interested in making use of their microcontrollers.  There are also on-line discussion groups (such as http://www.piclist.com) that provide VERY useful information.

I have also learned quite a bit by reading, "Programming & Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers", by Myke Predko.

(Incidentally, it was the construction of my K2/100 in 2003 that was the driving force behind my getting interested in integrating PICs in many of my electronics projects.)

73, de John, KD2BD

--
Visit John on the Web at:

        http://kd2bd.ham.org/

Re: PIC Programming Book

Byron Servies
You may want to consider looking at the TI LaunchPad as well.  The demo
board is cheap (less than $5) and they are making a big push with them.

http://www.ti.com/launchpad

I'm just getting started with mine, but so far so good.

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 7:01 AM, R. Kevin Stover <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been playing with the idea of learning the way of the PIC. I'm a
> network/systems admin kinda guy so programming will be new. We'll see
> if I've got the patience.

73, Byron N6NUL
----
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org

Re: PIC Programming Book

Alan Bloom
I haven't read it but you might try ARRL's PIC Programming for
Beginners:

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-s-pic-programming-for-beginners

Al N1AL