PR6-10 Receiver Pre Amplifier

Ray G3XLG
Hi All
I am thinking of buying this accessory but I am a bit confused.....!
I use a 4-El SteppIR beam for the HF bands as both my receive & transmit antenna with my K3.
Would I need to set up a separate receive antenna to use the PR6-10 Preamp or can I use it with my existing TX/RX antenna?

Ray G3XLG
Ray G3XLG

Re: PR6-10 Receiver Pre Amplifier

Stephen G4SJP
Ray,

It fits neatly between the RX in and out BNCs on the back panel.  You then
select the separate receiver input via the RXant button of the front
panel.  I am away from the K3 at the moment but that is what I did
successfully with an ANC noise reducer once.  I too am thinking seriously
about buying the PR6-10 as I'm about to take deliver of a KPA500!

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 10 December 2013 09:20, Ray G3XLG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
> I am thinking of buying this accessory but I am a bit confused.....!
> I use a 4-El SteppIR beam for the HF bands as both my receive & transmit
> antenna with my K3.
> Would I need to set up a separate receive antenna to use the PR6-10 Preamp
> or can I use it with my existing TX/RX antenna?
>
> Ray G3XLG
>

> -----
> Ray G3XLG

Re: PR6-10 Receiver Pre Amplifier

Mike K2MK
Ray & Stephen,

And of course you will need the KXV3 or KXV3A board in your K3. Further, when you press the RX ANT button for 6, 10, and 12 meters it will be remembered so that you don't have to push it each time you use those bands. And lastly, the preamp is activated by a single wire connection to the accessory socket so that it activated for only those bands where it is used. When de-activated the preamp has a pass through connection for a separate receive antenna to be used for the lower frequency bands. The mechanical and electrical design of the preamp is very well thought out.

If you are already using your accessory socket you'll need a DB15 Y cable which is available from Elecraft for a reasonable price.

I have the PR6-10 and I am very happy with its performance on all 3 bands.

73,
Mike K2MK

Stephen G4SJP wrote
Ray,

It fits neatly between the RX in and out BNCs on the back panel.  You then
select the separate receiver input via the RXant button of the front
panel.  I am away from the K3 at the moment but that is what I did
successfully with an ANC noise reducer once.  I too am thinking seriously
about buying the PR6-10 as I'm about to take deliver of a KPA500!

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 10 December 2013 09:20, Ray G3XLG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All
> I am thinking of buying this accessory but I am a bit confused.....!
> I use a 4-El SteppIR beam for the HF bands as both my receive & transmit
> antenna with my K3.
> Would I need to set up a separate receive antenna to use the PR6-10 Preamp
> or can I use it with my existing TX/RX antenna?
>
> Ray G3XLG

Re: PR6-10 Receiver Pre Amplifier

Ray,

The short answer is no - you do not need a separate RX antenna, but it
can also be used with an RX antenna if desired.

If you do not already have it, you will need to install the KXV3 or
KXV3A option.
The instructions for connecting and using the preamp are in the Preamp
manual.

On 12/10/2013 4:20 AM, Ray G3XLG wrote:
> Hi All
> I am thinking of buying this accessory but I am a bit confused.....!
> I use a 4-El SteppIR beam for the HF bands as both my receive & transmit
> antenna with my K3.
> Would I need to set up a separate receive antenna to use the PR6-10 Preamp
> or can I use it with my existing TX/RX antenna?

Re: PR6-10 Receiver Pre Amplifier

Ray G3XLG
Hi All

Thanks to Stephen, Mike & Don for your replies.

I already had the KXV3A option fitted & have now ordered the PR6-10 Preamp & another DB15 Y cable so I'll be ready to go!

73 de Ray G3XLG
Ray G3XLG

Re: PR6-10 Receiver Pre Amplifier

wa9fvp
The pre-amp bridges the antenna output to the RX in.  You can use antenna 1 or antenna 2 for your 6 meter beam but in receive, you should select the RX antenna.

Jack WA9FVP

Willco Electronics
Jack WA9FVP

Sent from my home-brew I5 Core PC