PSK31 & DM780

Dave Van Wallaghen
This probably more DM780 related than K3 but as a newbie to digital modes I thought it might be related. Then again it may be my soundcard too.

Has anyone else using DM780 with a K3 noticed that very strong psk sigs produce other images on the waterfall? It is about 2k further up or down from the original signal and can be decoded on the screen although weaker. I'm also running LP-Pan but don't notice the images on the panadapter.

Also related, do strong signals wash out the waterfall display so that weaker ones vanish?

I do center signals I wish to work and cut the filter down to 500hz or so to avoid strong signals in the passband and most of the time it works great.

I'm just wondering if this seems normal to everyone else or do I have something adjusted incorrectly? Overloading my soundcard maybe?

Transmit seems to work FB as I get good signal reports (stating my signal looks clean) and I'm seeing IMD measurements ranging from -28 to -31 on the KK7UQ IMD meter.

Thanks & 73,
Dave W8FGU

Re: PSK31 & DM780

KK7P
> Has anyone else using DM780 with a K3 noticed that very strong psk sigs produce other images on the waterfall? It is about 2k further up or down from the original signal and can be decoded on the screen although weaker. I'm also running LP-Pan but don't notice the images on the panadapter.

Could be LINE OUT level too high or sound card IMD.

> Also related, do strong signals wash out the waterfall display so that weaker ones vanish?

This is due to AGC action.

> I do center signals I wish to work and cut the filter down to 500hz or so to avoid strong signals in the passband and most of the time it works great.

I often narrow it down to 100 Hz and sometimes 50 Hz!

73,

Lyle KK7P

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Jim Brown-10
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:59:38 +0000, Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:

>Has anyone else using DM780 with a K3 noticed that very strong
psk
>sigs produce other images on the waterfall? It is about 2k
further
>up or down from the original signal and can be decoded on the
>screen although weaker. I'm also running LP-Pan but don't notice
>the images on the panadapter.

That's harmonic or intermod distortion. Something in your audio
chain is being overdriven. Could be the sound card. Or if it's an
older K3, it could be the radio. Older versions of the K3 produce
a LOT of audio distortion at the Line Out for settings of Line Out
gain greater than about 10. Distortion starts showing up weakly
with a setting around 5, and is bonkers up around 50. I've heard
that's been fixed in recent production, but don't know what serial
number. I think it's also fixed with the audio mod that you can
buy.

To fix your situation, first turn the Line Out gain at 3. Now,
turn the sound card input gain down until you no longer see
signals, then bring it back up until they all start decoding well.

This same distortion vs level thing occurs on transmit, so be VERY
careful not to overdrive the sound card or the radio. If you
overdrive anything, you'll produce multiple copies of your own
signal.

One good way to set levels on your sound card is to listen to the
sound card with headphones while you tell it to transmit. You
should hear some extra sharpness or raspiness when the sound card
level is too high. Listen carefully to it and pull the sound card
playback level down until the raspiness goes away. That should be
a good setting. You can also look at it on a scope and adjust the
level so that there's no squaring or rounding of the top of the
sine wave. Or you can crank the gain up until the waveform clips,
then back it down until the waveform is half that height. All of
these methods should get you to clean audio out of the sound card.

Once you have that level right, hook it up to the K3, pull the
Line In gain down, then bring it back up slowly as you watch the
RF level. When the level stops increasing, you've gone too high.
Back it off a bit. That should get you close.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: PSK31 & DM780

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Dave Van Wallaghen
Thank you very much Jim for the nicely detailed explanation and process. I have K3 #338 but did apply all of the applicable hardware mods to date. So hopefully the distortion is not hardware related but operator error in driving my soundcard too hard.

I will follow the process you outlined here first thing in the morning and hopefully eliminate the harmonics. And then back to happy PSK31 :-)

Thanks again & 73,
Dave W8FGU
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:59:38 +0000, Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:

>Has anyone else using DM780 with a K3 noticed that very strong
psk
>sigs produce other images on the waterfall? It is about 2k
further
>up or down from the original signal and can be decoded on the
>screen although weaker. I'm also running LP-Pan but don't notice
>the images on the panadapter.

That's harmonic or intermod distortion. Something in your audio
chain is being overdriven. Could be the sound card. Or if it's an
older K3, it could be the radio. Older versions of the K3 produce
a LOT of audio distortion at the Line Out for settings of Line Out
gain greater than about 10. Distortion starts showing up weakly
with a setting around 5, and is bonkers up around 50. I've heard
that's been fixed in recent production, but don't know what serial
number. I think it's also fixed with the audio mod that you can
buy.

To fix your situation, first turn the Line Out gain at 3. Now,
turn the sound card input gain down until you no longer see
signals, then bring it back up until they all start decoding well.

This same distortion vs level thing occurs on transmit, so be VERY
careful not to overdrive the sound card or the radio. If you
overdrive anything, you'll produce multiple copies of your own
signal.

One good way to set levels on your sound card is to listen to the
sound card with headphones while you tell it to transmit. You
should hear some extra sharpness or raspiness when the sound card
level is too high. Listen carefully to it and pull the sound card
playback level down until the raspiness goes away. That should be
a good setting. You can also look at it on a scope and adjust the
level so that there's no squaring or rounding of the top of the
sine wave. Or you can crank the gain up until the waveform clips,
then back it down until the waveform is half that height. All of
these methods should get you to clean audio out of the sound card.

Once you have that level right, hook it up to the K3, pull the
Line In gain down, then bring it back up slowly as you watch the
RF level. When the level stops increasing, you've gone too high.
Back it off a bit. That should get you close.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: PSK31 & DM780

K5HTK
Also, don't forget that Compression is a no-no on data modes. It can cause
distortion as well.

Jim K5HTK

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:59:38 +0000, Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:

>Has anyone else using DM780 with a K3 noticed that very strong
psk
>sigs produce other images on the waterfall? It is about 2k
further
>up or down from the original signal and can be decoded on the
>screen although weaker. I'm also running LP-Pan but don't notice
>the images on the panadapter.

That's harmonic or intermod distortion. Something in your audio
chain is being overdriven. Could be the sound card. Or if it's an
older K3, it could be the radio. Older versions of the K3 produce
a LOT of audio distortion at the Line Out for settings of Line Out
gain greater than about 10. Distortion starts showing up weakly
with a setting around 5, and is bonkers up around 50. I've heard
that's been fixed in recent production, but don't know what serial
number. I think it's also fixed with the audio mod that you can
buy.

To fix your situation, first turn the Line Out gain at 3. Now,
turn the sound card input gain down until you no longer see
signals, then bring it back up until they all start decoding well.

This same distortion vs level thing occurs on transmit, so be VERY
careful not to overdrive the sound card or the radio. If you
overdrive anything, you'll produce multiple copies of your own
signal.

One good way to set levels on your sound card is to listen to the
sound card with headphones while you tell it to transmit. You
should hear some extra sharpness or raspiness when the sound card
level is too high. Listen carefully to it and pull the sound card
playback level down until the raspiness goes away. That should be
a good setting. You can also look at it on a scope and adjust the
level so that there's no squaring or rounding of the top of the
sine wave. Or you can crank the gain up until the waveform clips,
then back it down until the waveform is half that height. All of
these methods should get you to clean audio out of the sound card.

Once you have that level right, hook it up to the K3, pull the
Line In gain down, then bring it back up slowly as you watch the
RF level. When the level stops increasing, you've gone too high.
Back it off a bit. That should get you close.

73,

Jim K9YC

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Mike Scott-7
>Jim Brow wrote: That's harmonic or intermod distortion. Something in your
audio chain is being overdriven. Could be the sound card. Or if it's an
older K3, it could be the radio. Older versions of the K3 produce a LOT of
audio distortion at the Line Out for settings of Line Out gain greater than
about 10. Distortion starts showing up weakly with a setting around 5, and
is bonkers up around 50.

Jim, your K3 and mine seem a bit different. Before I put the audio
modification in my K3 [ser 508] I would see obvious IMD on the DM780
waterfall or Spectrumlab with Line Out set anywhere above 3, 10 was
problematic. Even at 3 I could see harmonics of S9 tones.

After the modification I run Line Out about 10 and see I see slight IMD
above band noise 60-70dB below the carrier tone, passable.

I have played with sound card gain to try and make sure that the sound card
is not being over driven but I have to admit that I don't really know how to
distribute the gain between the sound card and the K3 Line Out. DM780 has a
soundcard Receive Signal Level; I run it in the lower 25% of the scale and
seem to see nice traces.

Mike Scott - AE6WA
Tarzana, CA (DM04 / near LA)
K3-100 #508/ KX1  #1311

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Mike Scott-7
>Dave Wrote...but did apply all of the applicable hardware mods to date. So
hopefully the distortion is not hardware related but operator error in
driving my soundcard too hard.

Dave,
When I have my K3 Line Out plugged into my sound card rear microphone input
I see IMD products that I don't see when I plug into the Line In on the PC
soundcard. It is difficult for me to know which one I am plugged into
because I do not understand the color code on the PC sound input output
panel. The only way I make sure I am plugged into Line In is to bring up the
Windows microphone panel and mute all inputs but Line In and make sure that
I am getting a waterfall trace with only Line In selected. If no noise on
the waterfall I plug into another socket until I finally arrive at Line In.
I found this made quite a difference on my set up when I finally plugged
into the correct place.

Mike Scott

Tarzana, CA

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Jim Brown-10
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:49:40 -0800, Mike Scott wrote:

>Jim, your K3 and mine seem a bit different. Before I put the audio
>modification in my K3 [ser 508] I would see obvious IMD on the DM780
>waterfall or Spectrumlab with Line Out set anywhere above 3, 10 was
>problematic. Even at 3 I could see harmonics of S9 tones.

I doubt that our radios were different, only a question of degree. The
harmonics at an output setting of 3 were in the noise level of my
measurement. For Line Out, the level of distortion at 3 (or even 5) is VERY
unlikely to be a problem.

>After the modification I run Line Out about 10 and see I see slight IMD
>above band noise 60-70dB below the carrier tone, passable.

Remember, there's a transformer in line. 60-70 dB is WAY down, and quite
respectable IMD performance! Of course, I'd still like the transformers to go
away. There's no good reason for having them, they add to cost, and they
subtract from performance!

>I have played with sound card gain to try and make sure that the sound card
>is not being over driven but I have to admit that I don't really know how to
>distribute the gain between the sound card and the K3 Line Out. DM780 has a
>soundcard Receive Signal Level; I run it in the lower 25% of the scale and
>seem to see nice traces.

Some sound cards are better than others. Based on having used them with some
high power audio testing software, I can say that the one in my IBM T41 is
better than the one in my T22. I suggest that you run the K3 as cool as you
can (that is, a low value of Line Out gain) and adjust the input of the sound
card to get good decoding.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Steve Ward
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:59:38 +0000, Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:

> Has anyone else using DM780 with a K3 noticed that very strong psk sigs produce other images on the waterfall? It is about 2k further up or down from the original signal and can be decoded on the screen although weaker. I'm also running LP-Pan but don't notice the images on the panadapter.

Also check your NB settings, I've found that the more aggressively the
noise blanker is working the more likely the ghost signals are to
appear.  OTOH, I have not yet gotten to the AF mods so I am probably
seeing a combination of factors.

73,
Steve
AD7OG
K3 S/N 1544

Re: PSK31 & DM780

Dave Van Wallaghen
Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I usually default the NB and NR off
until I need them and I rarely use them. But that makes sense.

As an update to this topic, first, thanks to everyone here who made
suggestions. It was a great learning experience for me.

I did go back and adjust the input to my soundcard. It is on a laptop
and the only input is a mic connection. Looking at the setup on the
computer, I found that the gain was turned up all the way at 100% with
some special processing enabled for voice. I turned it down to about 35%
and disabled the special processing on the line.

I also found that my CONFIG: LIN OUT was set at 20! I don't know when I
did that, but I went through the setup of my soundcard as Jim described
by starting out with everything at a minimum. I then brought the levels
up until I could see decoding with DM780. I then wound up with the
CONFIG: LIN OUT setting at 4 with good decoding and no noticeable
harmonics on the screen.

On my DM780 waterfall, the noise level is just visible on the bottom of
the Spectrum & Grid window and weak signals are now fairly visible in
the waterfall. The audio level monitor on DM780 now shows in the low 20%
range as opposed to the upper 60's and occasional Overload as it did before.

As a test, I then worked back to back Italian stations on 40m at 30
watts. Works for me :-)

Thanks again & 73,
Dave W8FGU