PTT Footswitch

Gary Gregory
*Jim,

I went to the local musical instrument shop (Guitar Shop) and was shown a
myriad of footswitches. A simple, all metal one cost me $19.00 AUD and has
been in use for 2 years and no issues. It is even switchable NO/NC...:-)

Figure I got my bucks worth by now.

73
Gary
*
--
*Gary*
*"If you don't know where you are going you will probably end up somewhere

Re: PTT Footswitch

Bill Clarke
Band equipment takes a beating and keeps on going. Excellent idea.

Bill W2BLC

--
IN GOD I TRUST (but, NOT a single politician)

Re: PTT Footswitch

ve3dvy
Good timing.   Ive been thinking about making one up using an old sewing
making foot control   never though of checking out the local music shop.

On 7/15/2012 7:42 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> *Jim,
>
> I went to the local musical instrument shop (Guitar Shop) and was shown a
> myriad of footswitches. A simple, all metal one cost me $19.00 AUD and has
> been in use for 2 years and no issues. It is even switchable NO/NC...:-)
>
> Figure I got my bucks worth by now.
>
> 73
> Gary
> *

Re: PTT Footswitch

Gary Gregory
*Hmmm..I do remember them, BUT, on the car I owned at that time, the switch
was round, about 1" in diameter and if I was to use that in a contest I
would need a new shoe/slipper/foot as they had a distinct resistant to
pressure so as to not activate with a brush from your shoe when using the
clutch.

Aaaaah...them was the good Ol daze eh?.......:-)

1955 FJ Holden 'Special', 6 cyclinder, carby, came complete with rattling
tappets (what are those some will moan), spark plugs and a Generator....no
alternator...wow...we have come a long way.

Now you look under the hood and look at a sea of plastic....

OK, back under my rock I go and join the other dinosaurs  :-)

73
Gary
*
On 16 July 2012 12:01, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Another source to consider is the local auto junk (er... 'used parts') yard
> for an older car headlight dimmer foot switch. Most Hams today probably
> weren't born when they were common, but one mashed a switch about 1" in
> diameter on the floorboards next to the clutch (yes, that far back..) to
> lower or dim the headlights. Those switches take huge abuse and have a nice
> tactile feel with a solid "click" felt through your foot to prevent
> accidentally tripping them. Make up a simple little wooden triangular
> holder
> and you are set for life.
>
> 73, Ron AC7AC

Cookie
A problem with the dimmer switch idea is that you need to press the switch to turn the transmitter on and press it again to turn it off.  I think most of us that are used to a switch that you hold down while transmitting and then release to receive.  I find that with a K3 the VOX works so well that I would rather use the VOX and just talk.  Of course you have to be careful when you yell at your dog or your wife yells at you!

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart

________________________________
Another source to consider is the local auto junk (er... 'used parts') yard
for an older car headlight dimmer foot switch. Most Hams today probably
weren't born when they were common, but one mashed a switch about 1" in
diameter on the floorboards next to the clutch (yes, that far back..) to
lower or dim the headlights. Those switches take huge abuse and have a nice
tactile feel with a solid "click" felt through your foot to prevent
accidentally tripping them. Make up a simple little wooden triangular holder
and you are set for life.

73, Ron AC7AC

Good timing.   Ive been thinking about making one up using an old sewing
making foot control   never though of checking out the local music shop.

On 7/15/2012 7:42 PM, Gary Gregory wrote:

> *Jim,
>
> I went to the local musical instrument shop (Guitar Shop) and was
> shown a myriad of footswitches. A simple, all metal one cost me $19.00
> AUD and has been in use for 2 years and no issues. It is even
> switchable NO/NC...:-)
>
> Figure I got my bucks worth by now.
>
> 73
> Gary
> *

Re: PTT Footswitch

Gary Gregory
*Fred,

Um, yep, been there done that. Much to my embarrassment.

Mine requires light pressure while transmitting, is comfy for my tender,
aged, foot. I have done 24 hour contests and although I was sleepy tired my
foor came away in good working order. We won't say too much about the vocal
chords though as they were a little rough.

73
Gary
*
On 16 July 2012 13:40, WILLIS COOKE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A problem with the dimmer switch idea is that you need to press the switch
> to turn the transmitter on and press it again to turn it off.  I think most
> of us that are used to a switch that you hold down while transmitting and
> then release to receive.  I find that with a K3 the VOX works so well that
> I would rather use the VOX and just talk.  Of course you have to be careful
> when you yell at your dog or your wife yells at you!
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Pete Smith N4ZR
I went to a local consignment shop and bought a very sturdy dictating
machine footswitch for less than $10.  It even has 3 separate switches -
left, right and center - so if I come up with something magical other
than PTT to do with it, I'll be all set.  A strip of velcro hooks on the
bottom anchors it to the carpet so it doesn't skate around.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 7/15/2012 11:40 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

> A problem with the dimmer switch idea is that you need to press the switch to turn the transmitter on and press it again to turn it off.  I think most of us that are used to a switch that you hold down while transmitting and then release to receive.  I find that with a K3 the VOX works so well that I would rather use the VOX and just talk.  Of course you have to be careful when you yell at your dog or your wife yells at you!
>
> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>

> ________________________________

Re: PTT Footswitch

hf4me
My problem with the footswitch is that I never liked the height of it making
foot tired holding it up to try to keep it from scooting away.  Solved by
mounting it on a thin piece of paneling and then another piece of 3/4 inch
board on top to raise my foot to a comfortable level compared to the switch.
Also some of the foam shelf stuff for my foot area AND underside of the
whole thing.  NOW it sits still and my foot is comfortable.  Just the
thought of transmit gets the job done.

No, it isn't cute, not painted or sanded and stained but it sure does the
trick.

73, de Jim KG0KP

>I went to a local consignment shop and bought a very sturdy dictating
> machine footswitch for less than $10.  It even has 3 separate switches -
> left, right and center - so if I come up with something magical other
> than PTT to do with it, I'll be all set.  A strip of velcro hooks on the
> bottom anchors it to the carpet so it doesn't skate around.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> The World Contest Station Database, at www.conteststations.com
> reversebeacon.blogspot.com,
> spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 and
> arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000
>
> On 7/15/2012 11:40 PM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:
>> A problem with the dimmer switch idea is that you need to press the
>> switch to turn the transmitter on and press it again to turn it off.  I
>> think most of us that are used to a switch that you hold down while
>> transmitting and then release to receive.  I find that with a K3 the VOX
>> works so well that I would rather use the VOX and just talk.  Of course
>> you have to be careful when you yell at your dog or your wife yells at
>> you!
>>
>> Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
>> K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart
>>

>> ________________________________

Re: PTT Footswitch

bill.va3ol
Perhaps you have an old hand key hanging around. Some of the WW II models
make great PTT switches.

Bill, VA3OL

Re: PTT Footswitch

Peter Wollan-2
QLF !

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

     Peter W0LLN

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps you have an old hand key hanging around. Some of the WW II models
> make great PTT switches.
>
> Bill, VA3OL

Re: PTT Footswitch

Pete Michaelis - N8TR
I use a Treadlite switch model t-51-S made by the Linemaster Switch
Corp.  I have several that I have found at Flea markets and Ham Fests.

However, for the reasons described below,  I do not like foot switches
so I use them as "knee" switches.  I mount them vertically beneath
my operating desks.  The slightest movement of my knee or thigh
activates them.  In a long SSB contest I find them much less tiring.

73 Pete - N8TR

At 09:54 AM 7/16/2012, Jim Miller KG0KP wrote:

>My problem with the footswitch is that I never liked the height of it making
>foot tired holding it up to try to keep it from scooting away.  Solved by
>mounting it on a thin piece of paneling and then another piece of 3/4 inch
>board on top to raise my foot to a comfortable level compared to the switch.
>Also some of the foam shelf stuff for my foot area AND underside of the
>whole thing.  NOW it sits still and my foot is comfortable.  Just the
>thought of transmit gets the job done.
>
>No, it isn't cute, not painted or sanded and stained but it sure does the
>trick.
>
>73, de Jim KG0KP

Re: PTT Footswitch

Terry Schieler
Correct, Bill.  In my younger day's I had wired a micro switch to the bass drum pedal of my drum kit for the purpose of setting off pyrotechnics on stage.  Long after my retirement from professional music (as well as from blowing things up) I tried to use the bass drum pedal as a PTT switch just because it felt familiar and I already HAD IT.  I worked, but if I had a tune in my head I would often find myself tapping triplets with my right foot.  Not wise for a SSB QSO.  ;o)

Terry, W0FM

Re: PTT Footswitch

Lu Romero - W4LT
This is an ideal suggestion.

I use the M-Audio Sustain Foot Switch.  Bought it at the
same place I got my Yamaha CM500, Guitar Center.  We have a
store in town, but I bought mine on their web page.  It is
identical to the Heil FS-1 and costs $15.  I have three.
Additionally, it has a slide switch that makes it normally
closed or normally open if you need to do something to
"interrupt" something (like for an SO2R controller).

My main one has been in service for three years with no
issues whatsoever, and Im not kind to it in pileups.  If it
can stand up to Rock and Roll organists, it will stand up to
my mad mashing in a pileup.

-lu-w4lt (currently /VE3 - Markham, Ontario, Canada)-

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 21:42:39 -0400
From: david Moes <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]