Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Bernie KF0QS
Dear Folks:

I have a K2/10 (#6922) and a K1 (#1024).  I have used the latter in the field, and hope to use both portable.  I have a Buddi-Pole setup, but am annoyed at how long it takes to set up.  I am wondering if you folks have a suggestion for a really easy portable antenna setup.  Anyone?

As a corollary to that question, I hear people say they just "toss a wire up in a tree".  Both of my Elecraft rigs have the ATU's installed, and so, could I just use a wire?  I am contemplating getting some fine gauge wire (#24?) and soldering a 40 foot length to the positive pole of a BNC connector and a similar length to the shield.  What do you guys think?

73 de Bernie, KF0QS

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Ken Alexander-2
Hi Bernie,

You might have to trim the antenna wire a bit so that the autotuners
will load it up on all bands, and maybe add one or two extra wires on
the ground side.  After that you should have yourself a very good,
compact antenna.

I worked Seychelles on my KX-1 on batteries (2 watts) on 20m years ago
with a 24 ft wire and two 8-foot radials that were stretched actoss my
2nd floor bedroom floor.  The antenna wire ran out to a tree outside my
window.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

On 06/05/2012 8:54 PM, Bernie KF0QS wrote:

> Dear Folks:
>
> I have a K2/10 (#6922) and a K1 (#1024).  I have used the latter in the
> field, and hope to use both portable.  I have a Buddi-Pole setup, but am
> annoyed at how long it takes to set up.  I am wondering if you folks have a
> suggestion for a really easy portable antenna setup.  Anyone?
>
> As a corollary to that question, I hear people say they just "toss a wire up
> in a tree".  Both of my Elecraft rigs have the ATU's installed, and so,
> could I just use a wire?  I am contemplating getting some fine gauge wire
> (#24?) and soldering a 40 foot length to the positive pole of a BNC
> connector and a similar length to the shield.  What do you guys think?
>
> 73 de Bernie, KF0QS

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

stan levandowski
Bernie, I'm no expert but I've been a QRP HF CW addict for 52 years and
one solution I've found that works quite well with all my Elecraft rigs
(KX1, K2, K2, and K3) is a simple halfwave vertical with *no* radials or
any other ground return except for the coax shield.  It's not "perfect"
but I've worked a freakin' pile of DX with it and its performance is
reliable and repeatable.  I'm not looking to start any long threads or
get into arguments with hams whose technical education and abilities far
exceed mine.  I'm just offering a solution that works for me and which
might work for you.  Let's see...what's that term....Your Mileage May
Vary.....?  :}

See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo

73, Stan WB2LQF
KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
Chihuahua)
Everything is QRP, even the dog.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Bernie KF0QS wrote:

> Dear Folks:
>
> I have a K2/10 (#6922) and a K1 (#1024).  I have used the latter in
> the
> field, and hope to use both portable.  I have a Buddi-Pole setup, but
> am
> annoyed at how long it takes to set up.  I am wondering if you folks
> have a
> suggestion for a really easy portable antenna setup.  Anyone?
>
> As a corollary to that question, I hear people say they just "toss a
> wire up
> in a tree".  Both of my Elecraft rigs have the ATU's installed, and
> so,
> could I just use a wire?  I am contemplating getting some fine gauge
> wire
> (#24?) and soldering a 40 foot length to the positive pole of a BNC
> connector and a similar length to the shield.  What do you guys think?
>
> 73 de Bernie, KF0QS

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Mike WA8BXN

Hi Bernie,

There will be many opinions, here are mine. There are many different
antennas each with its pros and cons. You are looking for something quick.
While I have no experience with the Buddi-Pole system it seems to me to be
something that should not take a lot of time to set up. Maybe switching
between different bands is the issue.

A wire of reasonable length (and ground system of some sort) and a good
tuner can switch bands fairly rapidly. Your length of 40 feet seems
reasonable although other lengths may be a bit better depending on the bands
you want to operate on. A problem with a wire antenna is putting it up and
taking it down and the need for supports. If you can just toss it up into an
available tree it could be a quick thing. If you try to get a rope over a
tree and have to walk through nasty vegetation and things get tangled up it
might not be so pleasant.

Performance wise for a single band I really like a dipole. There are a
number of ways to get multiband operation: traps, jumpers to use or isolate
portions, and feeding with balanced line and use a tuner. I generally do my
portable operation while camping at the same location for several days.
Setup time is not so much an issue for me.

While some may say having the optimal antenna is the most important thing I
think there may be some other perhaps more important considerations for
portable operation. One is picking the best band to use on a given outing.
Getting a good feel for the bands at home helps a lot, as does checking
propagation information. The best antenna you can put up for portable use
might be about useless if there band conditions are poor on your band of
choice. Once you have a decent antenna selected and have picked a band that
will be open the important thing is good operating. One CQ may not get a
contact. It could take some effort and time.

Bottom line, do planning on what band to use, pick a simple wire antenna,
spend a reasonable amount of time and you will get contacts!

Good luck and have fun!

73 - Mike WA8BXN

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

va3bxg
While I do not have one, I am looking into the alexloop. On eham it has positive reviews. But don't by the MFJ 1899 (it is quick) but pretty well useless unless you are lucky

Robert

a 'kosher' ham
Sent from my BlackBerry device

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Barry N1EU
stan levandowski wrote
See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo
I'm a big fan of the EFHW (use it on some of my SOTA operations), but that youtube video is a BOGUS comparison.  It simply doesn't take into account the radiation pattern of a 135ft OCF dipole on 15M and it's directionality relative to the receive signal.  On 15M, the OCF has six narrow lobes with a deep null broadside.

Barry N1EU

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Keith Heimbold
During my hotel ops last summer in westlake village, CA I used a 1:1 dipole balun attached to a MFJ telescopic pole and hung it off a best western balcony. Had a dipole cut for 20 and one for 6m. Worked Europe, south pacific on 20. And was able to work Oregon and Washington with this configuration both were resonant and worked well. Took about ten minutes from hotel room floor to being on the air.

Keith
AG6AZ

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Michael Babineau-2
Bernie :

One of the most simple and effective portable antennas is the 44 Doublet, sometimes referred to as the Norcal Doublet  :

http://www.norcalqrp.org/norcaldoublet.htm

This should give you coverage from 40m through 10m with the internal ATUs in the Elecraft rigs.

I don't like to rely on mother nature for antenna supports so I normally use a 20 foot panfish pole
to support the antenna as an inverted vee. Other options would be the bigger DK9SQ mast, the similar
model that MFJ sells or the JackKite models (all close to 30 feet when fully extended).

Get yourself a Pomona 1296 BNC to Male Binding post adaptor and put Radio Shack solderless Banana Plugs on the
ends of the wire feedline, this will allow for quick connect and disconnect of the antenna.

I use fishing snap swivels at the center and ends of the antenna and stake the ends of the doublet with some small
aluminum tent pegs attached to some lengths of brightly colored nylon cord so the ends of the antenna are
visible and present less of a hazard to anyone who might happen by.

The 88 foot version of this antenna will give you coverage down to 80m.

Its cheap, very portable, easy to deploy and effective.

Michael VE3WMB (K1, KX1, K2 builder/owner)

P.S. Here is a trick to reduce the strain on the tip of the poles when supporting a doublet
(here is a case where a picture is worth 1000 words ) :

http://www.qsl.net/v/ve3wmb//VE3WMB/Blog/Entries/2010/9/28_Field_Doublet_centre_support.html

>Dear Folks:

>I have a K2/10 (#6922) and a K1 (#1024).  I have used the latter in the field, and hope to use both portable.  I have a Buddi-Pole setup, but am annoyed at how long it takes to set >up.  I am wondering if you folks have a suggestion for a really easy portable antenna setup.  Anyone?

>As a corollary to that question, I hear people say they just "toss a wire up in a tree".  Both of my Elecraft rigs have the ATU's installed, and so, could I just use a wire?  I am >contemplating getting some fine gauge wire (#24?) and soldering a 40 foot length to the positive pole of a BNC connector and a similar length to the shield.  What do you guys think?

>73 de Bernie, KF0QS

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Jim Low man
Enjoyed the video, Stan.  I may look into one of these.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 5/6/2012 6:11 PM, stan levandowski wrote:

> Bernie, I'm no expert but I've been a QRP HF CW addict for 52 years and
> one solution I've found that works quite well with all my Elecraft rigs
> (KX1, K2, K2, and K3) is a simple halfwave vertical with *no* radials or
> any other ground return except for the coax shield.  It's not "perfect"
> but I've worked a freakin' pile of DX with it and its performance is
> reliable and repeatable.  I'm not looking to start any long threads or
> get into arguments with hams whose technical education and abilities far
> exceed mine.  I'm just offering a solution that works for me and which
> might work for you.  Let's see...what's that term....Your Mileage May
> Vary.....?  :}
>
> See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo
>

> 73, Stan WB2LQF
> KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
> Chihuahua)
> Everything is QRP, even the dog.

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Tom McCulloch
After watching Stan Video last night I placed an order for a few
T-106-2's to build the transformer...looks pretty straightforward and
inexpensive. Tnx Stan
Tom, WB2QDG

K2 1103

On 5/7/2012 1:43 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:

> Enjoyed the video, Stan.  I may look into one of these.
>
> 72/73 de Jim - AD6CW
>
> On 5/6/2012 6:11 PM, stan levandowski wrote:
>> Bernie, I'm no expert but I've been a QRP HF CW addict for 52 years and
>> one solution I've found that works quite well with all my Elecraft rigs
>> (KX1, K2, K2, and K3) is a simple halfwave vertical with *no* radials or
>> any other ground return except for the coax shield.  It's not "perfect"
>> but I've worked a freakin' pile of DX with it and its performance is
>> reliable and repeatable.  I'm not looking to start any long threads or
>> get into arguments with hams whose technical education and abilities far
>> exceed mine.  I'm just offering a solution that works for me and which
>> might work for you.  Let's see...what's that term....Your Mileage May
>> Vary.....?  :}
>>
>> See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo
>>

>> 73, Stan WB2LQF
>> KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
>> Chihuahua)
>> Everything is QRP, even the dog.

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

stan levandowski
Tom, it's by no means a perfect antenna but it *does* perform quite well
for me.  Generally, a coax length between 16 feet and 33 feet works just
fine.  I've used over 50 feet with no problem.  If you encounter
"strange" happenings, play with the coax length (+/-).  I've found the
real appeal includes no radials, a very small footprint, no guying
required if your base is hefty enough,  no reliance upon trees or other
supports, and *probably* good efficiency.  The opportunity to use a coax
feedline can also be a plus for certain ops in certain circumstances.
In fact, I purchased a second push-up pole, another UNUN, and had a
friend weld up a nice mount for the back of my car.  Now, I can drive to
scenic overlooks, state parks, rest stops.....  When I get there, I take
the pole out of the backseat, drop it into the mount, push up my antenna
in about 45 seconds, open the trunk, grab the coax and connect it to the
transformer and I'm on the air with a much better 5 watt signal than
from a Hamstick. As we all know, antennas are part science and part
black magic so I hope you have the same luck and good QRP DX I've been
enjoying.  73, Stan WB2LQF

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Tom McCulloch wrote:

> After watching Stan Video last night I placed an order for a few
> T-106-2's to build the transformer...looks pretty straightforward and
> inexpensive. Tnx Stan
> Tom, WB2QDG
>
> K2 1103
>
> On 5/7/2012 1:43 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:
>> Enjoyed the video, Stan.  I may look into one of these.
>>
>> 72/73 de Jim - AD6CW
>>
>> On 5/6/2012 6:11 PM, stan levandowski wrote:
>>> Bernie, I'm no expert but I've been a QRP HF CW addict for 52 years
>>> and
>>> one solution I've found that works quite well with all my Elecraft
>>> rigs
>>> (KX1, K2, K2, and K3) is a simple halfwave vertical with *no*
>>> radials or
>>> any other ground return except for the coax shield.  It's not
>>> "perfect"
>>> but I've worked a freakin' pile of DX with it and its performance is
>>> reliable and repeatable.  I'm not looking to start any long threads
>>> or
>>> get into arguments with hams whose technical education and abilities
>>> far
>>> exceed mine.  I'm just offering a solution that works for me and
>>> which
>>> might work for you.  Let's see...what's that term....Your Mileage
>>> May
>>> Vary.....?  :}
>>>
>>> See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo
>>>

>>> 73, Stan WB2LQF
>>> KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
>>> Chihuahua)
>>> Everything is QRP, even the dog.

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

N1EU
I agree that the EFHW is a good performer and it's a main player in my portable arsenal.  However, I give little to no credence in the "comparison" featured in that linked video.  There's no evidence that they're remotely aware of the azimuthal  pattern of the 135ft OCF on 15M.  Hint, it's NOT broadside.

73,
Barry N1EU

stan levandowski wrote
Tom, it's by no means a perfect antenna but it *does* perform quite well
for me.

> After watching Stan Video last night I placed an order for a few
> T-106-2's to build the transformer...looks pretty straightforward and
> inexpensive. Tnx Stan

> On 5/7/2012 1:43 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:
>> Enjoyed the video, Stan.  I may look into one of these.
>>

>>> See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo
>>>

>>> 73, Stan WB2LQF

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Burke Jones
Here is a good link for the EFHW which details the matching box that is
discussed in the video.  I just ordered some supplies today to build one
(or two) of these.

Burke Jones
N0HYD
KX1

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM, N1EU <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree that the EFHW is a good performer and it's a main player in my
> portable arsenal.  However, I give little to no credence in the
> "comparison"
> featured in that linked video.  There's no evidence that they're remotely
> aware of the azimuthal  pattern of the 135ft OCF on 15M.  Hint, it's NOT
> broadside.
>
> 73,
> Barry N1EU
>

> stan levandowski wrote
> >
> > Tom, it's by no means a perfect antenna but it *does* perform quite well
> > for me.
> >

> >> After watching Stan Video last night I placed an order for a few
> >> T-106-2's to build the transformer...looks pretty straightforward and
> >> inexpensive. Tnx Stan

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Burke Jones
Forgot the link - sorry about that!

http://www.earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Burke Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a good link for the EFHW which details the matching box that is
> discussed in the video.  I just ordered some supplies today to build one
> (or two) of these.
>
> Burke Jones
> N0HYD
> KX1
>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM, N1EU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree that the EFHW is a good performer and it's a main player in my
>> portable arsenal.  However, I give little to no credence in the
>> "comparison"
>> featured in that linked video.  There's no evidence that they're remotely
>> aware of the azimuthal  pattern of the 135ft OCF on 15M.  Hint, it's NOT
>> broadside.
>>
>> 73,
>> Barry N1EU
>>

>> stan levandowski wrote
>> >
>> > Tom, it's by no means a perfect antenna but it *does* perform quite well
>> > for me.

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Burke Jones
One more question...

Where can I get one of the small ABS boxes like the group sells and is show
in the video?

Burke Jones
N0HYD
KX1

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Burke Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forgot the link - sorry about that!
>
> http://www.earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf
>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Burke Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Here is a good link for the EFHW which details the matching box that is
>> discussed in the video.  I just ordered some supplies today to build one
>> (or two) of these.
>>
>> Burke Jones
>> N0HYD
>> KX1
>>

>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM, N1EU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that the EFHW is a good performer and it's a main player in my
>>> portable arsenal.  However, I give little to no credence in the
>>> "comparison"
>>> featured in that linked video.  There's no evidence that they're remotely
>>> aware of the azimuthal  pattern of the 135ft OCF on 15M.  Hint, it's NOT
>>> broadside.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Barry N1EU
>>>

>>> stan levandowski wrote

>>> well

>>> --
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Mike WA8BXN
The video and website referenced should have some things pointed out. The
video SWR values called out are those obtained through the tuner in the K-2.
At times I have had the unused antenna accidentally selected and ran the
tuner and got reasonably low swr matches. It found a match but a lot of
power would have been dissipated in the tuner.

The website for the 9:1 balun nicely does not claim the antenna described
using 30 feet of wire as an end fed half wave but rather and end fed antenna
 On 40 meters that length is near a quarter wave and would need a ground
system for good performance. On 20 meters it is near a half wave but not
quite. That may be good, making it easier to match. Note a tuner is required

Using an antenna like this can make contacts. On most frequencies the swr in
the coax from the balun to tuner will be high and thus loss could be high
for long runs of lossy coax. For portable operation with a few feet of coax
that should not be much of an issue.

There is nothing magic about the configuration. It should work better than
the greatly shortened wonder antennas. A say 25 foot wire connected to the
output of a tuner would probably do as well eliminating the use of the balun
 A ground system as simple as a single radial will improve results in most
cases.

73 - Mike WA8BXN

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Burke Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here is a good link for the EFHW which details the matching box that is
> discussed in the video. I just ordered some supplies today to build one
> (or two) of these.
>
> Burke Jones
> N0HYD
> KX1
>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM, N1EU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I agree that the EFHW is a good performer and it's a main player in my
>> portable arsenal. However, I give little to no credence in the
>> "comparison"
>> featured in that linked video. There's no evidence that they're remotely
>> aware of the azimuthal pattern of the 135ft OCF on 15M. Hint, it's NOT
>> broadside.
>>
>> 73,
>> Barry N1EU
>>

>> Stan levandowski wrote
>> >
>> > Tom, it's by no means a perfect antenna but it *does* perform quite
well

>> > for me.

>> --
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Rex Lint
I don’t quite get their claim: "The SWR is 1:1".

They are using a tuner, so the question is, what is the SWR on the ANTENNA
side of the tuner, not what does the K3 says with the tuner on...

Now, can you make 2 of these and place them at a strategic distance between
them, making the other one a little longer for a 2 element parasitic array?

      -Rex-

       K1HI
       Rex Lint
       Merrimack, NH
       WWW.QRZ.COM/db/k1hi

Where can I get one of the small ABS boxes like the group sells and is show
in the video?

Burke Jones
N0HYD
KX1

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM, Burke Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Forgot the link - sorry about that!
>
> http://www.earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed6_40.pdf
>

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Burke Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Here is a good link for the EFHW which details the matching box that
>> is discussed in the video.  I just ordered some supplies today to
>> build one (or two) of these.
>>
>> Burke Jones
>> N0HYD
>> KX1
>>

>> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM, N1EU <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that the EFHW is a good performer and it's a main player in
>>> my portable arsenal.  However, I give little to no credence in the
>>> "comparison"
>>> featured in that linked video.  There's no evidence that they're
>>> remotely aware of the azimuthal  pattern of the 135ft OCF on 15M.
>>> Hint, it's NOT broadside.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Barry N1EU
>>>

>>> stan levandowski wrote

>>> well

>>> --
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>>
>>> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this
>>> email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

Don Wilhelm-4
Rex,

It could be a 2 element parasitic array for 20 meters - where it is a
little shorter than a half wave, but the reflector or director would
have to be resonant on the band of operation.
A wire of that length would work with a low radiation angle on 15
meters, but the lobes will be at a higher angle on 10 meters where it is
approaching a full wavelength.

One thing you could do is space 2 of them a ways apart (about 16 feet)
and feed both of them with the same length feedline. That will give you
a directional pattern that is perpendicular to the plane of the elements
(broadside array is a term typically used).

Yes, that video is woefully uninformative, all that was accomplished was
to demonstrate that the K2 tuner could tune it - note that the K2 tuner
has a very wide range.

On 5/8/2012 4:14 PM, Rex Lint wrote:
> I don’t quite get their claim: "The SWR is 1:1".
>
> They are using a tuner, so the question is, what is the SWR on the ANTENNA
> side of the tuner, not what does the K3 says with the tuner on...
>
> Now, can you make 2 of these and place them at a strategic distance between
> them, making the other one a little longer for a 2 element parasitic array?

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

stan levandowski
Don, that's my antenna and I shot that video with Tony W1ZMB.  All we
wanted to do was publicize a rather inexpensive and workable alternative
to those heavily marketed and very expensive shortened antennas that
promise the world at your doorstep and often fall short.

I used that antenna to earn my QRP WAC Award.  My club borrowed it for a
recent Special Event conducted from the front porch of Samuel F.B.
Morse's Poughkeepsie estate.  They didn't want us to put big antennae
all over the place.  For that event we poured 100 watts into it.  Seemed
to work quite well. We used an ICOM 746PRO which is known to have a
rather narrow internal tuner -- I've been told 3:1.

In any case, Don (et al), a half wave end fed antenna is basically a
pretty good deal and it works darn well *above* half wave also.  Putting
it on a pushup pole, using a transformer to bring the impedance down to
where *most* tuners can find a match, having a small footprint, and
eliminating radials at the halfwave frequency and above (i.e., 20
through 6 meters inclusive) isn't a bad deal, in my opinion, for the ham
who may be operating under certain constraints and wants something
better than a 10% efficient Hamstick.

I apologize if the technical content of our video was either lacking or
misleading to anyone.  We just know the darn thing works from actual
experience.

73, Stan WB2LQF

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

> Yes, that video is woefully uninformative, all that was accomplished
> was to demonstrate that the K2 tuner could tune it - note that the K2
> tuner has a very wide range.

Re: Portable Antennas (Is there an "easy" button?)

K7TV
Another popular way to end-feed a half wave wire is to parallel-tune the
coil to the band in use. The obvious question then is whether that
arrangement can result in even higher voltage on the antenna, and thus
better results. My guess would be yes, especially if the transformer step-up
ratio is made higher, as is commonly the case. Obviously, tuning the coil
would defeat the ability to operate multiple bands with just an auto-tuner,
and I think that ability is the main feature of the antenna discussed in
this thread. However, once a ham has the "easy" button, why not tinker for
that little extra on at least one band?

73,
Erik K7TV