Positioning of the KPA500

Stephen G4SJP
My desk space is limited.  I can comfortably fit theP3 alongside the K3 but
I have no horizontal space left.  I'm wondering if anyone has the KPA500
sitting above the K3 and whether there are any issues beyond the fact that
the K3's loudspeaker will be covered?  That doesn't bother me as most of the
time I use headphones.

I'm almost at the point of buying, but need to know that I can fit it on the
desk!

73, Stephen, G4SJP

Re: Positioning of the KPA500

w0mu
Remote mount it.  There really is nothing to do with the amp other than
turn it on or off and put it in standby.   Other than the weight I don't
see why you could not stack it or make a shelf over the K3 for the amp
to sit on.

Mike W0MU

J6/W0MU November 21 - December 1 2011 CQ WW DX CW
W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net

On 10/6/2011 4:03 PM, Stephen Prior wrote:

> My desk space is limited.  I can comfortably fit theP3 alongside the K3 but
> I have no horizontal space left.  I'm wondering if anyone has the KPA500
> sitting above the K3 and whether there are any issues beyond the fact that
> the K3's loudspeaker will be covered?  That doesn't bother me as most of the
> time I use headphones.
>
> I'm almost at the point of buying, but need to know that I can fit it on the
> desk!
>
> 73, Stephen, G4SJP

Re: Positioning of the KPA500

k6rb
I personally don't like the look of having the K3 side-by-side with the P3
and the KPA-500. So, I have my P3 atop the K3 centered so that my eye sees
the readout and P3 screen at the same time. The KPA-500 sits aside the
K3/P3 pyramid. I think it looks a lot better (e.g. more compact) and
operationally, I think it's better, too.

Rob K6RB

> My desk space is limited.  I can comfortably fit theP3 alongside the K3
> but
> I have no horizontal space left.  I'm wondering if anyone has the KPA500
> sitting above the K3 and whether there are any issues beyond the fact that
> the K3's loudspeaker will be covered?  That doesn't bother me as most of
> the
> time I use headphones.
>
> I'm almost at the point of buying, but need to know that I can fit it on
> the
> desk!
>
> 73, Stephen, G4SJP

Re: Positioning of the KPA500

alsopb
Horizontal desk space is indeed in short supply.  Wide screen monitors
have been a real negative impact.

Odd question:  Can the KPA-500 be rotated 90 (book in bookcase form) and
operated that way to save horizontal desk space?  One can imagine
putting it on a desk end to still allow cooling.  (

73 de Brian/K3KO

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: Positioning of the KPA500

Guy, K2AV
Just remember that the K3 has cooling vents on right rear of top that should
NOT be covered or blocked.  73, Guy.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Brian Alsop <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Horizontal desk space is indeed in short supply.  Wide screen monitors
> have been a real negative impact.
>
> Odd question:  Can the KPA-500 be rotated 90 (book in bookcase form) and
> operated that way to save horizontal desk space?  One can imagine
> putting it on a desk end to still allow cooling.  (
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>
> On 10/6/2011 22:27, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I personally don't like the look of having the K3 side-by-side with the
> P3
> > and the KPA-500. So, I have my P3 atop the K3 centered so that my eye
> sees
> > the readout and P3 screen at the same time. The KPA-500 sits aside the
> > K3/P3 pyramid. I think it looks a lot better (e.g. more compact) and
> > operationally, I think it's better, too.
> >
> > Rob K6RB
> >
> >> My desk space is limited.  I can comfortably fit theP3 alongside the K3
> >> but
> >> I have no horizontal space left.  I'm wondering if anyone has the KPA500
> >> sitting above the K3 and whether there are any issues beyond the fact
> that
> >> the K3's loudspeaker will be covered?  That doesn't bother me as most of
> >> the
> >> time I use headphones.
> >>
> >> I'm almost at the point of buying, but need to know that I can fit it on
> >> the
> >> desk!
> >>
> >> 73, Stephen, G4SJP
> >> Post: mailto:[hidden email]
> >>
> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

> > Post: mailto:[hidden email]

> > -----
> > No virus found in this message.
> >

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: Positioning of the KPA500

Merv Schweigert
Seems there could be a problem with the grids in the tubes sagging and
touching the
plate if not operated in the proper position,  I do know that the 866A
rectifiers will
not work, the mercury will puddle on the sides and cause arcs,  they
need to be
operated vertical.   :-)

Good ole days eh?
K9FD/KH6

> Why not? Mine is horizontal but it's been vertical a lot in testing. It even
> has feet on the side, nominally for transport but there are no moving parts
> other than the fan so it should make RF the same way.
>
> As Guy noted, leave the necessary clearances on the back and top for
> ventilation.
>
> Hmmmm.... will standing it on one end cause it to send vertically polarized
> to the antenna? :-)
>
> Ron AC7AC

Gentlemen

Many thanks for all the comments and opinions, I seem to have plenty of
options with the amplifier.  Now all I have to do is to work out how I'm
going to pay for it after the service bill for the car yesterday!

73, Stephen G4SJP

Re: Positioning of the KPA500

K5LAD
Wow!
I just had to turn off my computer and drain out all
of the nostalgia.

Jim - K5LAD

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 17:19:22 -1000
From: Merv Schweigert <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Positioning of the KPA500

Seems there could be a problem with the grids in
the tubes sagging and touching the plate if not
operated in the proper position,  I do know that
the 866A rectifiers will not work, the mercury will
puddle on the sides and cause arcs,  they need to
be operated vertical.   :-)

Good ole days eh?
K9FD/KH6

Growing old is like being increasingly penalized
for a crime you haven't committed.
-- Anthony Powell
Visit my webpages at:
      http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/