Power Supplies

Mike Furrey
Good Morning Ya’ll

This morning my Astron SS-30M (used regularly for 15 years) went south in a puff of smoke and voltage on the meter was fluctuating around 10VDC. No damage to the K3. WHEW! I pulled out my Astron VS-50M (haven’t used in 15 years) and its voltage was also fluctuating a bit (maybe needs to reform caps?) (I’ll try it later on a ... should I say ... a radio I will not worry about too much ... or build a load for it). At a local swapfest last weekend a seller had several Astron power supplies that he was selling as parts units. He commented that they were unreliable.

That being said, what are the groups recommendations for a power supply?

73, Mike WA5POK

Re: Power Supplies

Vic Rosenthal
This isn't an answer to the question, but a comment about Astron linear power supplies. I
have twice seen a situation in which the screws that hold the circuit board to the
capacitors work loose over time. The resultant heat can damage the board. It's a good idea
to check that the screws are tight every few years.

Having said that, I've found these supplies quite reliable otherwise.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: Power Supplies

N3XX
Unreliable???  I have been using the same VS-50M here for over 25 years.  It
presently powere my K3 and a few other things in the shack.  I leave it on
24/7 unless there is a storm coming through.  Then everything is powered
down & disconnected.

73,
Tim - N3XX

> This morning my Astron SS-30M (used regularly for 15 years) went south in
> a puff of smoke and voltage on the meter was fluctuating around 10VDC. No
> damage to the K3. WHEW! I pulled out my Astron VS-50M (haven’t used in 15
> years) and its voltage was also fluctuating a bit (maybe needs to reform
> caps?) (I’ll try it later on a ... should I say ... a radio I will not
> worry about too much ... or build a load for it). At a local swapfest last
> weekend a seller had several Astron power supplies that he was selling as
> parts units. He commented that they were unreliable.
>
> That being said, what are the groups recommendations for a power supply?
>
> 73, Mike WA5POK

Re: Power Supplies

Phil Hystad-3
I have one SAMLEX and three Astron power supplies and they have operated perfectly since they day I bought them.  I own the following:

--one Samlex 13.8, 3 to 5 amp power supply I have in the garage
   for various little projects and experimental work.

--two Astron RS-35M power supplies.

--one Astron RS-50M power supply (which is my main shack supply).

Oops.  Just remembered, I sold one of the Astron RS-35Ms to a friend of mine and I know it is working fine for him too.

73, phil, K7PEH

On May 6, 2012, at 7:07 AM, N3XX wrote:

> Unreliable???  I have been using the same VS-50M here for over 25 years.  It
> presently powere my K3 and a few other things in the shack.  I leave it on
> 24/7 unless there is a storm coming through.  Then everything is powered
> down & disconnected.
>
> 73,
> Tim - N3XX

Re: Power Supplies

N5GE-2

The Astron Power Supplies are great.  Don't always believe what people at
Hamfests tell you.

Check the connections inside the chassis and make sure all the mounting and
connection screws are tight before turning the 50 amp supply on.  I've been
using the same Astron AS50 for 15 years and it has never failed to operate.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sun, 6 May 2012 08:12:05 -0500, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Good Morning Ya’ll
>
>This morning my Astron SS-30M (used regularly for 15 years) went south in a puff of smoke and voltage on the meter was fluctuating around 10VDC. No damage to the K3. WHEW! I pulled out my Astron VS-50M (haven’t used in 15 years) and its voltage was also fluctuating a bit (maybe needs to reform caps?) (I’ll try it later on a ... should I say ... a radio I will not worry about too much ... or build a load for it). At a local swapfest last weekend a seller had several Astron power supplies that he was selling as parts units. He commented that they were unreliable.
>
>That being said, what are the groups recommendations for a power supply?
>
>73, Mike WA5POK
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Power Supplies

Phil LaMarche-2
I have an Astron RM70 to power the shack. 20+ years and not a hiccup!
Highly recommend....

Phil

Philip LaMarche

727-944-3226
727-510-5038 Cell
 www.w9dvm.com
WWW.FLAMGROUP.COM

K3 # 1605
KPA500 # 029
P3 #1480

 CCA 98-00827
CRA 1701
W9DVM

The Astron Power Supplies are great.  Don't always believe what people at
Hamfests tell you.

Check the connections inside the chassis and make sure all the mounting and
connection screws are tight before turning the 50 amp supply on.  I've been
using the same Astron AS50 for 15 years and it has never failed to operate.

73,
Tom
Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Sun, 6 May 2012 08:12:05 -0500, <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Good Morning Ya’ll
>
>This morning my Astron SS-30M (used regularly for 15 years) went south in a
puff of smoke and voltage on the meter was fluctuating around 10VDC. No
damage to the K3. WHEW! I pulled out my Astron VS-50M (haven’t used in 15
years) and its voltage was also fluctuating a bit (maybe needs to reform
caps?) (I’ll try it later on a ... should I say ... a radio I will not worry
about too much ... or build a load for it). At a local swapfest last weekend
a seller had several Astron power supplies that he was selling as parts
units. He commented that they were unreliable.

>That being said, what are the groups recommendations for a power supply?
>
>73, Mike WA5POK
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>
>This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net Please help support this email
>list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Power Supplies

NZ0T
I has an Astron RS-20 that worked great fo 20 years.  The only problems I had were the loosening of the big cap screws and the need to replace the LM723 once.  On the other hand I purchased a new RS-35M last January and last week it decided to stop putting out any DC voltage.  Something on the board is bad I'm sure.

Re: Power Supplies

Keith Heimbold
I had a samlex 20 amp power supply and replaced it when I had some issues with it and my back up rig, FT920 which gave the small switching supply fits.

I have since bought two RS35 Astrons one which has the meters and voltage pot and they have been great.

I also have a small powerwerx 35 amp switching supply for traveling.  It is super small and seems to work great.

Keith
AG6AZ

Re: Power Supplies

N8MSA
I recently purchased a Bulldog RDC-55 55A power supply from Rivergate Distributing. It's compact, runs cool, is very quiet, looks good on an oscilloscope and was designed to be used in a high-RF environment. I cannot honestly state that I have been running it for twenty years without a problem, but those that have seem to find them trouble-free.

I think it's a shame that more people don't know about them. ..

http://www.rivergatedist.com/PowerSupply.htm

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

[hidden email]

[...]

Fred Townsend
Hi Mike:
Thank you for sharing about the Bulldog supplies. I have never heard of them before. My first reaction to the pictures is sooo ugly only its mother would love it. The spec sheets are clear but leave out a few things. Maybe you know.

If it is a switcher what is its noise specification?
The mounting tabs look like they would scratch the desktop. Are there rubber feet?
Where are the power pole connectors? I guess you would run it with a Rigrunner.
I didn't see any mention of certifications. UL? CE Mark?
I like to buy American. Where are these made?

73
Fred, AE6QL

Re: Power Supplies

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

I have a pair of RS-35A - one for each K3 (yes, it's overkill) one of
which is 20 years old - with nary a problem.  In addition, I have an
RS-12A that I use for miscellaneous "12V loads" and low power testing.

Astron "RS" series analog supplies were somewhat unreliable 35 years
ago when the standard pass transistor was the 2N3055 and *sockets*
due to heating and the limited current capability but that was a long
time ago and has been resolved by the move to the 2N3771 and better
installation/manufacturing techniques.

Like any device, the supply should be cleaned/maintained on a regular
basis ... pay special attention to the screws on the capacitor and
the output studs as they tend to loosen over time.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 5/6/2012 12:09 PM, Keith Heimbold wrote:

> I had a samlex 20 amp power supply and replaced it when I had some issues with it and my back up rig, FT920 which gave the small switching supply fits.
>
> I have since bought two RS35 Astrons one which has the meters and voltage pot and they have been great.
>
> I also have a small powerwerx 35 amp switching supply for traveling.  It is super small and seems to work great.
>
> Keith
> AG6AZ

Re: Power Supplies

WA2SI
I think those questions are better suited for the manufacturer/distributed rather than Mark. Mark paid his money and took his chances and it appears to ne working out for him. He was kind enough to share his individual experience with us for our benefit. For those who require a tad more in-depth proof prior to purchase and/or endorsement, the company should be taken to task.

Having said that, I do have my own personal opinions re. the intended demographic for this product... Definitely NOT QRP - hihi.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

"...and all the pieces matter."
                  -- Det. Lester Freamon, BPD

Re: Power Supplies

N8MSA
Most of the answer's to Fred's questions can be found on the company's website, but...

- Yes, it's a switching design
- The feet/tabs/protrusions are metal. These are provided so as to allow the user (installer?) to bolt them into a cabinet or onto a desk. There are adhesive rubber feet that are shipped with the supply.

As for the entire switching/linear debate...

I've used both over the years. I currently have an older (linear) Agilent supply in the shack which was the primary DC supply, as I am disinclined to use hobby supplies of any type. The Bulldog is, even when compared to professional gear, quieter, the output looks the same on a scope, I haven't heard it on my radio(s) yet and it emits much less waste heat than any linear supply I have ever come in contact with. The waste heat issue alone is one of my primary motivations for installing a switching supply, and is an important consideration in a number of commercial systems. High-quality switching supplies offering high "up-time" are common-place today in many mission-critical applications.

Also, aside from the highest-quality, professional linear supplies, I have personally witnessed fewer transformer delaminations and filter capacitor problems from switching supplies. Yes, there are plenty of "bad" switching supplies out there, but then are "bad" linear supplies as well.

I guess I just find it odd that several responses promote a brand of linear supply that has webpages devoted to address a myriad of shortcomings, and yet this supply is met with (in my opinion) excessive skepticism, primarily on the basis of it's "switching" design.

Mike Alexander - N8MSA

[hidden email]

Good questions, Fred! From their dimensions I'm guessing they are switchers. I could not find the info either.

They look like they are designed to go into an equipment rack, not on a desk top. But I bet you could put rubber feet on those tabs easily enough.

Color me old fashioned (I still like spending an afternoon on a horse or pounding brass with a straight key), but I avoid switchers no matter how much people claim they are quiet and I also avoid fans at every opportunity.

I have several Astrons, not because they fail, but because they provide quiet (electrically and acoustically) power and redundancy. Should one ever fail, the other can keep the equipment humming, even if at slightly reduced output power.

Ron AC7AC

Re: Power Supplies

Edward R Cole
I guess in any case "your experience may vary", but here is mine.

I have an Astron VS-35M that was bought in 1980 and only repaired
once when I back biased the LM923 by charging a battery,  Pass
transistors are the originals.  That is 32-years of service!  It now
serves as my service bench supply, because I replaced it with a
RS-50M which runs 24/7 for at least 10-years.

I had dozens (35 to memory) of the R20A at work that served very
reliably in severe maritime environments on boats and kept on
working.  I did have one or two croak but they were in-service
continuously on the boats (24/7).  Those that went I suspect from
boat generator voltage surges (to 160vac).  The transformers failed.

The Astron's are very basic design and completely reparable if the
transformer is OK.  I did even order a replacement for the
transformer that cost > 50% the new price on the PS.  IN my final
years on the job I ordered some of the 20A switching supplies for
their size/weight to package into portable packages.

73, Ed - KL7UW, WD2XSH/45

Re: Power Supplies

Fred Townsend
Gentlemen: Not to put too fine a point on this but none of my questions were answered on the web page. That's why I asked them. (I did not ask if it was a switcher). Linear or switcher it's all about noise and regulation. Nothing puts the banana boat swing on your CW like poor regulation. How fast does it recover from a 20 amp step? Actually, the chances are a switcher will be a little better at the step response and poorer on the noise. Also, since I have a strong dislike for supplies that pass the smoke test I'd like to see an UL logo. Finally it has a fan, what is the acoustic noise level.
73
Fred, AE6QL

Re: Power Supplies

Mike Furrey
Those Astrons ... The SS-30M, I took the cover off and went, "YUK!" It is a
switching power supply and my first thought is to treat it like I treat
computer power supplies .... I liked it because it small and light weight
and it fit perfect in my portable station container.

As for the VS-50M, today is the first time I have turned it on in 15 years
and the problem there was simply oxidation on the voltage control pot. A
couple of squirts of DeOxit and it is working as it should. As a precaution
I loosened and then tightened all the screws on the caps and regulator board
as other have mentioned. I purchased it used.

I also have an Astron RS-12 that serves to power shack accessories. I
purchased it used 10 years ago to replace a homebrew power supply (1983 ARRL
handbook page 5-22) that took a lightening hit (fixed it).

That SS-30M, I guess it may have been a bit light for running the K3.

I have read everyone's posts and been to the links. Thanks all, it's was
educating. Now 20 CW is wide open over the pole.

73, Mike WA5POK

Re: Power Supplies

Jim Low man
Someone had recommended the crimper for Anderson Power Poles from Powerwerx.
While I was looking at that, I looked at their power supplies.

The SPS-30DM looked interesting, so I ordered one.
Ordered Tuesday afternoon, and I received the shipping notice and UPS
tracking number the same day.
Today it arrived.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I have to
give Powerwerx credit for fast delivery!
Of course they're located less than 50 miles from here; even closer than
HRO.

I was surprised at how small it is!  It comes in at 6" x 5" x 2-1/2" and
weighs only 3.7 pounds.
Certainly, it's smaller and lighter-weight than my Astron RS-35M.
Rating is 25 A continuous and it has front-panel meters for monitoring
voltage and current.
Also conveniently located on the front panel is a switch for a
continuous supply voltage of 14.1 or variable from 5-16 volts.

This p/s should be ideal, not only for powering the new K3 but also for
charging the NiMH batteries for the KX3.

7273 de Jim - AD6CW

On 5/6/2012 7:42 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I have one SAMLEX and three Astron power supplies and they have operated perfectly since they day I bought them.  I own the following:
>
> --one Samlex 13.8, 3 to 5 amp power supply I have in the garage
>     for various little projects and experimental work.
>
> --two Astron RS-35M power supplies.
>
> --one Astron RS-50M power supply (which is my main shack supply).
>
> Oops.  Just remembered, I sold one of the Astron RS-35Ms to a friend of mine and I know it is working fine for him too.
>

> 73, phil, K7PEH

Mel

Re: Power Supplies

Mel
If you are looking for a throw away 12 - 13.5 VDC 29 A switching power supply check out Lightobject.com in Elk Grove CA,  Only $45.  I bought a couple, they are RFI quiet and while no meters, it does have a fan, hi.  Works my 857, FB.

Mel, K6KBE