Power supply and fuse recommendations for K2

Power supply and fuse recommendations for K2

Millerhill
Well, just got my pre built K2 and I'm looking for recommendations for external in line fuse as well as power supply. I recently fried my OHR rig and will not power up any of my rigs without the proper fuse again.

I currently have an inline 1A fuse with PP connectors and a 2.4A power supply. Will that do it?

Steve
W1SFR

Re: Power supply and fuse recommendations for K2

Tom McCulloch
Hi Steve,
   If you have the battery installed in you K2 I'd recommend the A&A
Engineering (?) PS.  It keeps the battery charged as well as powering
the K2.  I don't think it'll be big enough if you go to 100 watt amp,
though.  Don , W3FPR has a write up on on his site (or he used to anyway).

Good luck with the K2

Tom
WB2QDG
K2 #1103

On 4/26/2012 11:35 AM, Stephen Roberts wrote:

> Well, just got my pre built K2 and I'm looking for recommendations for external in line fuse as well as power supply. I recently fried my OHR rig and will not power up any of my rigs without the proper fuse again.
>
> I currently have an inline 1A fuse with PP connectors and a 2.4A power supply. Will that do it?
>
> Steve
> W1SFR

Re: Power supply and fuse recommendations for K2

Steve,

If it has the KPA100 installed, the cable (if built as instructed) has a
20 amp in-line fuse.
The QRP K2 has an internal 5 amp resettable fuse, so it will protect itself.
What you do need to protect just in case of accidents is the power cable
itself.  I would suggest a 10 amp fuse.

On 4/26/2012 11:35 AM, Stephen Roberts wrote:

> Well, just got my pre built K2 and I'm looking for recommendations for external in line fuse as well as power supply. I recently fried my OHR rig and will not power up any of my rigs without the proper fuse again.
>
> I currently have an inline 1A fuse with PP connectors and a 2.4A power supply. Will that do it?
>
> Steve
> W1SFR

Re: Power supply and fuse recommendations for K2

That Smartcharger article is on my website www.w3fpr.com.

Steve,
Looking at the end of your post, I see that you currently have a 1 amp
fuse which is too small.
Your 2.4 amp power supply is OK if you are limiting power to 5 watts,
but if you want to run 10 to 12 watts (how about SSB on peaks) the power
supply should be increased to at least 3 amps.  I usually recommend a 6
amp supply at 13.8 volts.