Px3 or KPA100?

HREFAB
Ok, so if you were in the market for a new piece of Elecraft Technology (and who isn't?) what would you get? A KXPA100 amp or the new PX3 Panadapter? I've got my order in for hte Panadapter , but I'm wondering if I should throw a few more dollars on it and get the amp. This way I could sell my IC7000, and My Ft817 and clear up my desk and still have 100 watts available for those nights when QRP just isn't cutting it. As it stands now, I would like to be all Elecraft for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the superior (in my experience) capabilities of the Radio. Sure, eventually, I'll get both, but what would you guys opt for initially?

If you chose the Amp, would you get the internal Antenna tuner or use the tuner in the KX3?

73 Jim Harvey /KD2FIP

Px3 or KPA100?

Johnny Siu
Hello Jim,

If you are not definitely going for 100w and also want to do some kit building (firing up your soldering iron), Hardrock 50 small linear amplifier could be another alternative.  It will soon have an internal ATU inside the amplifier as well.  More information will be given in http://www.hobbypcb.com/

They will also have a booth in Dayton.  If you visit Elecraft in Dayton, you may wish to visit them as well.

73

Johnny VR2XMC

 寄件人︰ HREFAB <[hidden email]>
收件人︰ [hidden email]
傳送日期︰ 2014年05月10日 (週六) 3:08 PM
主題︰ [Elecraft] Px3 or KPA100?

Ok, so if you were in the market for a new piece of Elecraft Technology (and
who isn't?) what would you get? A KXPA100 amp or the new PX3 Panadapter?
I've got my order in for hte Panadapter , but I'm wondering if I should
throw a few more dollars on it and get the amp. This way I could sell my
IC7000, and My Ft817 and clear up my desk and still have 100 watts available
for those nights when QRP just isn't cutting it. As it stands now, I would
like to be all Elecraft for a number of reasons, not the least of which is
the superior (in my experience) capabilities of the Radio. Sure, eventually,
I'll get both, but what would you guys opt for initially?

If you chose the Amp, would you get the internal Antenna tuner or use the
tuner in the KX3?

73 Jim Harvey /KD2FIP

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Px3 or KPA100?

Bruce Beford-4
Jim,
The KX3's internal tuner will not do anything while you are using the
KXPA100. The tuner is bypassed when the amp is in use. For an antenna
"tuner" to do it's job, it must be positioned between the final amplifier
and the antenna feedline. Or, (even better) at the feed point of the antenna
itself. Therefore, the internal tuner of the KX3 is only in use when running
the KX3 "barefoot".

Bruce
N1RX

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: Px3 or KPA100?

Phil Wheeler-2
I imagine he's referring to the optional tuner
inside the KXPA100.

As to the amp or the panadapter, unless Jim is an
"always QRP" op, I'd go for the KXPA100 -- with
ATU -- first.

But for my base operations I'd want the PX3
eventually.

Since the PX3 is not shipping until July (I've
read here) -- and early availability may be
limited -- that's another reason to go PA first.

73, Phil w7ox

On 5/10/14, 5:32 AM, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Jim,
> The KX3's internal tuner will not do anything while you are using the
> KXPA100. The tuner is bypassed when the amp is in use. For an antenna
> "tuner" to do it's job, it must be positioned between the final amplifier
> and the antenna feedline. Or, (even better) at the feed point of the antenna
> itself. Therefore, the internal tuner of the KX3 is only in use when running
> the KX3 "barefoot".
>
> Bruce
> N1RX

Yes, Phil.
He asked if people with the KXPA100 "used the tuner in the KX3" (Implying
that people used that instead of purchasing the KXAT100). I was trying to
explain why that is not possible (when the KXPA100 is in use).
Bruce
N1RX

I imagine he's referring to the optional tuner
inside the KXPA100.

As to the amp or the panadapter, unless Jim is an
"always QRP" op, I'd go for the KXPA100 -- with
ATU -- first.

But for my base operations I'd want the PX3
eventually.

Since the PX3 is not shipping until July (I've
read here) -- and early availability may be
limited -- that's another reason to go PA first.

73, Phil w7ox

On 5/10/14, 5:32 AM, Bruce Beford wrote:
> Jim,
> The KX3's internal tuner will not do anything while you are using the
> KXPA100. The tuner is bypassed when the amp is in use. For an antenna
> "tuner" to do it's job, it must be positioned between the final amplifier
> and the antenna feedline. Or, (even better) at the feed point of the
antenna
> itself. Therefore, the internal tuner of the KX3 is only in use when
running
> the KX3 "barefoot".
>
> Bruce
> N1RX

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware that the internal KX3 tuner couldn't be used so thanks for clearing that up.
I use my kx3 99% of the time from my office. Not much for hauling it out to the seashore or mountain tops. Additionally, the extra $300.00 puts a cramp in my plan. Another couple of hundred I could swing, but opening up that $1000.00 door puts it above my pay grade for now. I'm sure that I'll get some sort of amplification for the KX3 when I just can't got out over the noise, but for flying a desk, I guess teh PX3 will be the sensible alternative for now.

And yes, my KX3 "Hears" FAR better than my IC7000. On the whole, I really found that to be a disappointing radio. It has a lot of bells and whistles, but other than the 100Watts, the KX3 blows it out of the water (for me anyway).