Queries posted from sites that need the answers authenticated

Queries posted from sites that need the answers authenticated

Stuart Rohre
Posters should disable their anti spam authentication if they want a direct
answer to their question.

A recent query resulted in my receiving a long complicated request for me to
go to web site to prove may answer was not from a machine.  The web site
took too long to come up, so I canceled the request message.  The answer can
be read on the list or not at all.  I should not have to go out of my way in
my attempt to help.
-K5KVH

Re: Queries posted from sites that need the answers authenticated

Mike Morrow-3
Stuart Rohre wrote:

>Posters should disable their anti spam authentication if they want a direct
>answer to their question.
>
>...I should not have to go out of my way in my attempt to help.

Why be so unreasonable, Stuart?  The other fellow is just trying to say "My
time is much more valuable than yours."

How could anyone be put off by that?  :-)

73,
Mike / KK5F

RE: Queries posted from sites that need the answersauthenticated

Ron D'Eau Claire-2
I agree Stuart. Any time I try to reply to an e-mail and run into one of
those systems, I just trash it and forget it. But I never run into that on
this reflector.

As a rule I post ONLY to the Elecraft list. After all, in 3 or so years
around the Elecraft reflector I've seen almost no questions unique to one
person, so replying direct means that a lot of readers are left hanging
without an answer unless they each ask again and again and again...

And seeing if a question has been answered helps avoid tons of duplicates.
Sometimes when I've asked a question I've gotten more the 20 or 30 answers
spread over a week, all saying the same thing.

Once in a long while someone will mention that they can't access the list
easily and requests a direct answer. In that case, and only then, I reply
BOTH to the list and to the person.

Ron AC7AC

Posters should disable their anti spam authentication if they want a direct
answer to their question.

A recent query resulted in my receiving a long complicated request for me to
go to web site to prove may answer was not from a machine.  The web site
took too long to come up, so I canceled the request message.  The answer can
be read on the list or not at all.  I should not have to go out of my way in
my attempt to help. -K5KVH

Re: Queries posted from sites that need the answers authenticated

Thom LaCosta
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004, Mike Morrow wrote:

> Stuart Rohre wrote:
>

>> Posters should disable their anti spam authentication if they want a direct
>> answer to their question.
>>
>> ...I should not have to go out of my way in my attempt to help.
>

> Why be so unreasonable, Stuart?  The other fellow is just trying to say "My
> time is much more valuable than yours."

Let's see...."My time is more valuable than yours, so I don't feel bad about
wasting yours...especially when you answer a question of mine."

>From my vantage point, people with closed mail boxes should not solicit mail
from the public.

I operate an international registry...and anyone who has a closed mail box
simply doesn't get in it...I refuse to waste my time (g).

73
Thom k3hrn

http://www.baltimorehon.com/            Home of the Baltimore Lexicon
http://www.tlchost.net/              Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month

Re: Queries posted from sites that need the answers authenticated

Jim Brown-10
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:51:49 -0500, Stuart Rohre wrote:

I use a SPAM filter. I also check my mailbox for email from people who don't want
to be bothered with it, or think that they are somehow "above it all."

>The answer can be read on the list or not at all.

ALL replies to questions posted on the list ought to be posted to the list, NOT to the
person posting. The exceptions would be replies of a personal nature, or stuff that
is simply way off topic.

One of the basic premises of an email list is that if one person has a technical
problem, others with similar interests are likely to have a similar problem and be
interested in the answer. Another good reason for posting to the list is that public
answers get the benefit of peer review, while private replies don't.

Jim Brown  K9YC

RE: Queries posted from sites that need the answersauthenticated

srife
        I guess I somehow missed the center point of this thread but, I
wanted to add that, I have noticed that when I do a "reply" to a message
that I have read Outlook wants to send it to the originator of the message
instead of the List. I have to manually change the address to go to the
List. Is this maybe relevant to what this discussion is about? Maybe someone
got a direct reply that didn't necessarily want it. Just a thought.

Stan Rife
WD5EWA
Houston, TX
K2 S/N 4216