RFI resistant Monitor

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

Jim Brown-10
On Sun,4/10/2016 10:44 PM, KC6CNN wrote:
> I just found that when the monitor is on it adds 2 bars of noise to my
> meter. It is also turning off when I operate on certain bands.

I had exactly that experience with a Samsung that W4UAT gave me because
it did that in his shack too. It also makes RF noise. The good news is
that not all Samsung monitors are RFI dogs. I have two recent model
Samsungs in my house and four in the shack. They are designed to run on
power supplies labeled 14VDC, and the supply they sell you is a
switching power supply that makes RF noise. I throw those power supplies
away, cut the attached power cable and attach red/black PowePoles, and
run them from either the 12V battery system in my shack  or a small 12V
lead-acid cell that I float-charge from a linear 12V wall wart.

I also use ferrite common mode chokes on both the video cable that runs
to the computer and the power supply cable "just in case" some RF trash
is conducted to those cables, which the cables could radiate.

All that, and a lot more, is discussed in this "in progress" article for
the National Contest Journal.  k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

David Ahrendts
Gerald, I’ve been on the RFI noise hunt for several weeks with my system. Added the SVGA with a very nice LG 23-inch LED monitor (M45 23M45D). Perfect size to fit above the K3S and P3. I’ve managed to lower my noise floor to typically well below S1, and do notice the LG producing a tiny high pitched noise from it’s switching power supply. I would use my 12V PowerWerx, but the LG switching PS produces something like 27 volts. I’m confident I can reduce the tiny noise some more.

David A., KK6DA, Los Angeles

> On Apr 10, 2016, at 10:44 PM, KC6CNN <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Everyone.
> I am running a Samsung 21 inch monitor on my Elecraft P3 SVGA.
> I just found that when the monitor is on it adds 2 bars of noise to my
> meter.
> It is also turning off when I operate on certain bands.
> Does anyone know of a good monitor to combat RFI and Noise.
> I have had some local hams tell me to cut the power cable and run it from my
> Astron and take out the switching power supply that came with the Samsung
> monitor.
> Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated. Oh PS I do have a bunch of
> beads on the cable from P3 to monitor and on the power cable.
>
> Thanks
> Gerald
> KC6CNN
>

> -----
> KC6CNN - Gerald
> K1 # 0014
> K2 # 5486
> K3 # 6294
> KX3 # 757

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

David Ahrendts   [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

thelastdb
One thing I have noticed over the years is that the near-field noise is present with most any modern electronics. The switching frequency is between 200-300kHz and can be easily sniffed with a pocket AM radio (harmonics of that fundamental switching frequency are easily spotted with an AM radio). When I bring my CCrane Pocket Radio in the near field at the operating position, I can’t tune in the semi-local 600 KCOL out of Greely, CO. If I back up a few feet the noise level drops considerably and the station is audible again. The CC Pocket Radio has a fairly good front end with somewhat good selectivity but is still overloaded with IBOC noise.

I have battery chargers, an old Dell 1501 laptop, an external HD with switcher, the list goes on. Common mode noise and strong near-field noise is the bane of my ham radio existence in this RFI rich environment.

Myron WV0H
Printed on Recycled Data

On Sun,4/10/2016 10:44 PM, KC6CNN wrote:
> I just found that when the monitor is on it adds 2 bars of noise to my
> meter. It is also turning off when I operate on certain bands.

I had exactly that experience with a Samsung that W4UAT gave me because
it did that in his shack too. It also makes RF noise. The good news is
that not all Samsung monitors are RFI dogs. I have two recent model
Samsungs in my house and four in the shack. They are designed to run on
power supplies labeled 14VDC, and the supply they sell you is a
switching power supply that makes RF noise. I throw those power supplies
away, cut the attached power cable and attach red/black PowePoles, and
run them from either the 12V battery system in my shack  or a small 12V
lead-acid cell that I float-charge from a linear 12V wall wart.

I also use ferrite common mode chokes on both the video cable that runs
to the computer and the power supply cable "just in case" some RF trash
is conducted to those cables, which the cables could radiate.

All that, and a lot more, is discussed in this "in progress" article for
the National Contest Journal.  k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

Gary Smith-2
Gerald,

I'm using a pair of AOC monitors. The 27"
is the computer display; model E2752She
Current cost $159, I bought it from
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
It was $139 when I bought it. Its easily
worth the $159. It plugs into the wall
socket, has been running 3 hours now and
is cool to the touch.

The P3 monitor is AOC 23" 12367F I paid
something like $115 for it at Best Buy.
It's easily worth much more. Runs on a 12V
supply that looks like a laptop PS. It is
cool to the touch and also been on for 3
hours.

Zero issues with the noise level from
either one. Absolutely beautiful quality
for the video, makes the P3 SVGA come
alive. Extremely low power consumption.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Hello Everyone.
> I am running a Samsung 21 inch monitor on my Elecraft P3 SVGA.
> I just found that when the monitor is on it adds 2 bars of noise to my
> meter.
> It is also turning off when I operate on certain bands.
> Does anyone know of a good monitor to combat RFI and Noise.
> I have had some local hams tell me to cut the power cable and run it from my
> Astron and take out the switching power supply that came with the Samsung
> monitor.
> Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated. Oh PS I do have a bunch of
> beads on the cable from P3 to monitor and on the power cable.
>
> Thanks
> Gerald
> KC6CNN

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

Jim Sheldon
I have 3 Acer monitors (one 19" square and two 23" wider screen).  The
19" runs directly on 120VAC and the twp 23" ones have small switching
mode power supplies that look like laptop supplies and put out 13.8/14
volts.  The switcher supplies for these 2 monitors appear to be
virtually noise free.  At least I have not had any noise problems that I
can attribute to them and they have been on the desk for several years
now.

My major noise source has always been the 7500 volt power lines that run
across the South and West sides of my small city lot.  Fortunately the
utility company ran afoul of the FCC several years ago and they are very
responsive to noise/interference calls.

Jim - W0EB

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

David Ahrendts
May I encourage everyone to study the excellent work from Jim Brown, K9YC — he weighed in here and you’ll see his link below. I’m also taking his suggestion after careful study to replace the parallel zip line red-black cable with shielded twisted pair cable (18 AWG ) with the Anderson Power Poles connectors. The theory being that anything twisted will resist RFI while parallel cable invites it and generates it. A fist full of ferrites helps also. Getting surgical, but it really helps.

David A., KK6DA

> On Apr 11, 2016, at 6:29 AM, Myron Schaffer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> One thing I have noticed over the years is that the near-field noise is present with most any modern electronics. The switching frequency is between 200-300kHz and can be easily sniffed with a pocket AM radio (harmonics of that fundamental switching frequency are easily spotted with an AM radio). When I bring my CCrane Pocket Radio in the near field at the operating position, I can’t tune in the semi-local 600 KCOL out of Greely, CO. If I back up a few feet the noise level drops considerably and the station is audible again. The CC Pocket Radio has a fairly good front end with somewhat good selectivity but is still overloaded with IBOC noise.
>
> I have battery chargers, an old Dell 1501 laptop, an external HD with switcher, the list goes on. Common mode noise and strong near-field noise is the bane of my ham radio existence in this RFI rich environment.
>
> Myron WV0H
> Printed on Recycled Data

In the tutorial at the link posted, I wrote:

Evaluating Equipment For Noise: When someone tells you that XYZ
equipment produces no noise on the ham bands because he can’t hear any
noise in his radio, should you believe that the equipment is clean? NO!
The equipment may be noisy but is not heard because it is being covered
by other noise from the neighborhood. Figs 7 and 8 compare the daytime
80M spectra at K6GFJ in a San Jose residential neighborhood and K9YC 30
miles to the south in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The difference in the
noise floor is 10 dB. And it’s certainly not dead quiet in the
mountains, either – everything on the displays from both QTHs is noise
from either switching power supplies or other electronic sources.
Proximity to Antennas Is What Matters:  Noise radiates from sources on
wires that are connected to noise sources, and enters our receivers via
our antennas. My SteppIR that’s up 120 ft and is 200 ft from the shack
doesn’t hear much noise from the shack, but the 160M Tee vertical only
25 ft from the operating position does. When someone tells you that a
particular model of internet router or video monitor sits next to his
power amp and there’s no RFI, ask him how far it is from his antennas,
not from his radio.

73, Jim K9YC

On Mon,4/11/2016 7:43 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:
> The switcher supplies for these 2 monitors appear to be virtually
> noise free.  At least I have not had any noise problems that I can
> attribute to them and they have been on the desk for several years now.
>
> My major noise source has always been the 7500 volt power lines that
> run across the South and West sides of my small city lot. Fortunately
> the utility company ran afoul of the FCC several years ago and they
> are very responsive to noise/interference calls.

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: RFI resistant Monitor

Jim Brown-10
You'll find exactly these suggestions in the tutorial at the link I posted.

73, Jim K9YC