RIT behavior when computer controlled / Possible Feature Request

RIT behavior when computer controlled / Possible Feature Request

K7MJG
Hello,

I'm curious if RIT on the KX3 should behave the way it does when under computer control. (CAT commands.)

As a basis for comparison, this workflow does exactly what I would expect.

1. Tune to a CW transmit frequency.
2. Press and hold the [OFS/VFO B] button to clear RIT.
3. Press the [RIT] button to enable RIT.
4. Call CQ, operator responds off frequency.
5. Adjust the [OFS/VFO B] button to get the receive frequency close.
6. Press the [SPOT] button to zero in on the precise receive frequency.

(Transmit frequency remains as it was originally.)

Steps 5 and 6 work fine, although precious seconds are gone during this process, and, depending on how close I get with step 5 (and the filter setting), the SPOT could hunt for additional seconds.  During the SPOT process, the RIT offset adjustments are continuously displayed in the VFO B screen area.  This works, but is time-inefficient.  (I will probably miss their call sign.)

My particular (preferred) scenario:

I am 100% a CW operator. I use CW Skimmer, basically as my panadapter. CW Skimmer, using CAT commands, can snap the KX3 to a precise receive frequency with a mouse click. (Basically the same effect as SPOT, but quicker.)

Assume that steps 1 through 4 are the same as above.  Instead of steps 5 and 6, I would like to be able to click on a the operator's off-frequency response within CW Skimmer and have the KX3 behave the same as the [SPOT] button. After all, they are essentially the same thing, one just happens to be driven remotely (CAT Command), the other using a local button press (SPOT button).  However, the KX3 changes the receive frequency, but does not adjust the RIT offset.  So what that means is the new receive frequency is now the transmit frequency.  Not what I would expect with RIT in effect.

Is there a setting to get the behavior that I want?  If not, I would like to kindly put in an enhancement request.

73,
Mark
K7MJG

Re: RIT behavior when computer controlled / Possible Feature Request

Don Wilhelm-4
Mark,

I believe the results of what you are seeing is dependent on the
commands issued by CW Skimmer.  The KX3 can do as you request if it is
given the correct commands (in the correct order).  You might want to
ask the CW Skimmer folks to implement your request.

On 4/29/2013 8:24 PM, K7MJG wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious if RIT on the KX3 should behave the way it does when under
> computer control. (CAT commands.)
>
> As a basis for comparison, this workflow does exactly what I would expect.
>
> 1. Tune to a CW transmit frequency.
> 2. Press and hold the [OFS/VFO B] button to clear RIT.
> 3. Press the [RIT] button to enable RIT.
> 4. Call CQ, operator responds off frequency.
> 5. Adjust the [OFS/VFO B] button to get the receive frequency close.
> 6. Press the [SPOT] button to zero in on the precise receive frequency.
>
> (Transmit frequency remains as it was originally.)
>
> Steps 5 and 6 work fine, although precious seconds are gone during this
> process, and, depending on how close I get with step 5 (and the filter
> setting), the SPOT could hunt for additional seconds.  During the SPOT
> process, the RIT offset adjustments are continuously displayed in the VFO B
> screen area.  This works, but is time-inefficient.  (I will probably miss
> their call sign.)
>
> My particular (preferred) scenario:
>
> I am 100% a CW operator. I use CW Skimmer, basically as my panadapter. CW
> Skimmer, using CAT commands, can snap the KX3 to a precise receive frequency
> with a mouse click. (Basically the same effect as SPOT, but quicker.)
>
> Assume that steps 1 through 4 are the same as above.  Instead of steps 5 and
> 6, I would like to be able to click on a the operator's off-frequency
> response within CW Skimmer and have the KX3 behave the same as the [SPOT]
> button. After all, they are essentially the same thing, one just happens to
> be driven remotely (CAT Command), the other using a local button press (SPOT
> button).  However, the KX3 changes the receive frequency, but does not
> adjust the RIT offset.  So what that means is the new receive frequency is
> now the transmit frequency.  Not what I would expect with RIT in effect.
>
> Is there a setting to get the behavior that I want?  If not, I would like to
> kindly put in an enhancement request.

Re: RIT behavior when computer controlled / Possible Feature Request

Iain MacDonnell - N6ML-2
Hi Mark,

The KX3 is doing exactly what it's being told to do - i.e. change its
VFO A frequency to whatever you clicked on. CW Skimmer assumes that
you will be listening to the audio that it decodes from the I/F, and
not the audio coming from the radio's receiver. If you want CW Skimmer
to attempt to manipulate the KX3's RIT, you'd have to request that
from VE3NEA (CW Skimmer author), but I can't see it happening.

As a workaround, you could turn on Split and set VFO B to the same as
A (A>B), then when you click on an off-frequency caller, your receive
frequency will change but your transmit will not.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM, K7MJG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious if RIT on the KX3 should behave the way it does when under
> computer control. (CAT commands.)
>
> As a basis for comparison, this workflow does exactly what I would expect.
>
> 1. Tune to a CW transmit frequency.
> 2. Press and hold the [OFS/VFO B] button to clear RIT.
> 3. Press the [RIT] button to enable RIT.
> 4. Call CQ, operator responds off frequency.
> 5. Adjust the [OFS/VFO B] button to get the receive frequency close.
> 6. Press the [SPOT] button to zero in on the precise receive frequency.
>
> (Transmit frequency remains as it was originally.)
>
> Steps 5 and 6 work fine, although precious seconds are gone during this
> process, and, depending on how close I get with step 5 (and the filter
> setting), the SPOT could hunt for additional seconds.  During the SPOT
> process, the RIT offset adjustments are continuously displayed in the VFO B
> screen area.  This works, but is time-inefficient.  (I will probably miss
> their call sign.)
>
> My particular (preferred) scenario:
>
> I am 100% a CW operator. I use CW Skimmer, basically as my panadapter. CW
> Skimmer, using CAT commands, can snap the KX3 to a precise receive frequency
> with a mouse click. (Basically the same effect as SPOT, but quicker.)
>
> Assume that steps 1 through 4 are the same as above.  Instead of steps 5 and
> 6, I would like to be able to click on a the operator's off-frequency
> response within CW Skimmer and have the KX3 behave the same as the [SPOT]
> button. After all, they are essentially the same thing, one just happens to
> be driven remotely (CAT Command), the other using a local button press (SPOT
> button).  However, the KX3 changes the receive frequency, but does not
> adjust the RIT offset.  So what that means is the new receive frequency is
> now the transmit frequency.  Not what I would expect with RIT in effect.
>
> Is there a setting to get the behavior that I want?  If not, I would like to
> kindly put in an enhancement request.
>
> 73,
> Mark
> K7MJG

RE: RIT behavior when computer controlled / Possible Feature Request

K7MJG

Iain,

Thank you!   SPLIT is the perfect solution for my scenario and much better than what I was trying to get RIT to do.

73,

Mark

K7MJG

The KX3 is doing exactly what it's being told to do - i.e. change its
VFO A frequency to whatever you clicked on. CW Skimmer assumes that
you will be listening to the audio that it decodes from the I/F, and
not the audio coming from the radio's receiver. If you want CW Skimmer
to attempt to manipulate the KX3's RIT, you'd have to request that
from VE3NEA (CW Skimmer author), but I can't see it happening.

As a workaround, you could turn on Split and set VFO B to the same as
A (A>B), then when you click on an off-frequency caller, your receive
frequency will change but your transmit will not.

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM, K7MJG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious if RIT on the KX3 should behave the way it does when under
> computer control. (CAT commands.)
>
> As a basis for comparison, this workflow does exactly what I would expect.
>
> 1. Tune to a CW transmit frequency.
> 2. Press and hold the [OFS/VFO B] button to clear RIT.
> 3. Press the [RIT] button to enable RIT.
> 4. Call CQ, operator responds off frequency.
> 5. Adjust the [OFS/VFO B] button to get the receive frequency close.
> 6. Press the [SPOT] button to zero in on the precise receive frequency.
>
> (Transmit frequency remains as it was originally.)
>
> Steps 5 and 6 work fine, although precious seconds are gone during this
> process, and, depending on how close I get with step 5 (and the filter
> setting), the SPOT could hunt for additional seconds.  During the SPOT
> process, the RIT offset adjustments are continuously displayed in the VFO B
> screen area.  This works, but is time-inefficient.  (I will probably miss
> their call sign.)
>
> My particular (preferred) scenario:
>
> I am 100% a CW operator. I use CW Skimmer, basically as my panadapter. CW
> Skimmer, using CAT commands, can snap the KX3 to a precise receive frequency
> with a mouse click. (Basically the same effect as SPOT, but quicker.)
>
> Assume that steps 1 through 4 are the same as above.  Instead of steps 5 and
> 6, I would like to be able to click on a the operator's off-frequency
> response within CW Skimmer and have the KX3 behave the same as the [SPOT]
> button. After all, they are essentially the same thing, one just happens to
> be driven remotely (CAT Command), the other using a local button press (SPOT
> button).  However, the KX3 changes the receive frequency, but does not
> adjust the RIT offset.  So what that means is the new receive frequency is
> now the transmit frequency.  Not what I would expect with RIT in effect.
>
> Is there a setting to get the behavior that I want?  If not, I would like to
> kindly put in an enhancement request.
>
> 73,
> Mark
> K7MJG

To unsubscribe from RIT behavior when computer controlled / Possible Feature Request, click here.
NAML