RS sale items (more)

Michael Bower N4NMR
Last week I was at my friendly RS getting a new alarm clock.  Lost my old
one.

They had a special sale on the RS version of an Atomic portable alarm clock.
Only $20.  And it is a nice size for packing or for on the desk.  Normally
$30, I think.  Nice clock with super lighting.  Number is 63-964.
(www.radioshack.com didn't show it as a sale item (still shows $20) but the
sign at the store did).  Only drawback is that you can't set it for UTC.
Not a biggy in my mind.

They also had a special on batteries.  Well, the special on batteries is not
that super but the batteries come in a nifty case.  It is touted as a can
holder that says it will hold 4 cans of soda or whatever.  But I didn't see
it that way.  I saw it as a nifty carrier for something like the PAC-12 or
MP-1.  It is bright red (so it is easy to find) and has a shoulder/carrying
strap.  Haven't tried it yet but looks like it should work great.

Price on the battery pack/cooler says $20 but the sale was for $10.

Michael N4NMR

Re: RS sale items (more)

Daniel Reynolds-2
I picked up a small bedside LCD atomic alarm clock with Indigo style lighting
about 2 years ago at WalMart for about $10-15. It is silver with black and runs
off a single AA battery. I am able to adjust it for UTC, but I must readjust it
with each time change. I think it was made by Oregon Scientific.

Here's one just like it for $17.
http://donrowe.com/oregon_scientific/rm103a.html

When I figured out the model number, I used google.com and froogled for RM103A.
I found this same model for $13.
http://www.buyreliant.com/oregon/rm103a.htm

The RM103A lets me set it to 24 hour mode.

Here's another one I stumbled upon for $8 - although I can't vouch as to
whether or not it will allow for UTC time.
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CES10290.html

To keep this post On-Topic ... I find that the RM103A clock fits fairly nicely
next to my portable digital thermometer, MH2 mike, and Palm-key when I pack my
K2 in its aluminum tool case.

- Daniel / AA0NI

--- Michael Bower N4NMR <[hidden email]> wrote:
> They had a special sale on the RS version of an Atomic portable alarm clock.
> Only $20.  And it is a nice size for packing or for on the desk.  Normally
> $30, I think.  Nice clock with super lighting.  Number is 63-964.
> (www.radioshack.com didn't show it as a sale item (still shows $20) but the
> sign at the store did).  Only drawback is that you can't set it for UTC.
> Not a biggy in my mind.

One more re:Atomic Clocks

Daniel Reynolds-2
The newest and smallest Oregon Scientific Atomic Alarm Clock can be had for as
little as $6-7 (www.froogle.com ... search for RM982A - click on Price: Low to
High). This clock has the same features as my little RM103A - except the
'indiglo' style light - although the small manual page from Oregon Scientific's
web site suggests that it does have a back-lit display (punch the snooze button
on top for the light).

- Daniel / AA0NI

Re: RS sale items (more)

Earl W Cunningham
Michael, N4NMR wrote:

"They (RS) had a special sale on the RS version of an Atomic portable
alarm clock. Only $20.  And it is a nice size for packing or for on the
desk.  Normally $30, I think.  Nice clock with super lighting.  Number is
63-964.

Only drawback is that you can't set it for UTC."

Re: One more re:Atomic Clocks

rrennard
I don't have enough pockets for another device, so I just use the alarm in my Verizon phone.  Their CDMA network is synched to GPS, so most of the time the alarm rings within seconds of when it is set to go off.  My awakening is usually less precise...

N7WY

> From: Daniel Reynolds <[hidden email]>
> Date: 2004/10/13 Wed PM 10:11:56 GMT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Elecraft] One more re:Atomic Clocks
>
> The newest and smallest Oregon Scientific Atomic Alarm Clock can be had for as
> little as $6-7 (www.froogle.com ... search for RM982A - click on Price: Low to
> High). This clock has the same features as my little RM103A - except the
> 'indiglo' style light - although the small manual page from Oregon Scientific's
> web site suggests that it does have a back-lit display (punch the snooze button
> on top for the light).
>
> - Daniel / AA0NI

Re: One more re:Atomic Clocks

Joe-aa4nn
Whatever you'all do, don't buy TWO atomic clocks.  Otherwise you'll never
know what time it is.  I have two MFJ Radio Controlled clocks that after two
years have finally synced in with UTC but even now they are two seconds
apart.  Go figger.  You can manually set the Hours on these clocks but not
the minutes & seconds.
73, Joe, aa4nn

Re: One more re:Atomic Clocks

Charles Greene
Joe,

Right.  You need to buy three, and the majority wins.

At 08:23 PM 10/13/2004, Joe - aa4nn wrote:
>Whatever you'all do, don't buy TWO atomic clocks.  Otherwise you'll never
>know what time it is.  I have two MFJ Radio Controlled clocks that after
>two years have finally synced in with UTC but even now they are two
>seconds apart.  Go figger.  You can manually set the Hours on these clocks
>but not the minutes & seconds.
>73, Joe, aa4nn

Re: RS sale items (more)

Ward Willats-3
I was in my local (Scotts Valley, CA) store to buy some parts from
the drawers and found out all the individual components in there are
half-off this month. Whether this is a local phenomenon or
system-wide, I don't know.

When the guy told me I was getting half-off, I said (smart-mouth)
"Why? Getting out of the business?"

He said "No, we are trying to get back to our roots."

[insert skeptical surprise here]

I said: "What, that cell-phone thing didn't work out for you guys?"

Him: "No, that's doing fine, we just thought parts had been neglected."

-- Ward / KG6HAF

Re: One more re:Atomic Clocks

Dan Romanchik KB6NU
The cheapest price I found on Froogle was $8.79 from cybergiftcenter.com.
Great price, but the cheapest shipping option was $9.41, making the total
$18.20!

Dan KB6NU

> The newest and smallest Oregon Scientific Atomic Alarm Clock can be had
for as
> little as $6-7 (www.froogle.com ... search for RM982A - click on Price:
Low to
> High). This clock has the same features as my little RM103A - except the
> 'indiglo' style light - although the small manual page from Oregon
Scientific's
> web site suggests that it does have a back-lit display (punch the snooze
button
> on top for the light).
>
> - Daniel / AA0NI

Re: One more re:Atomic Clocks

k6dgw
Well ... maybe ...  but majorities don't always determine the truth (we
all probably knew that ;-).  I volunteer at the local blood center where
there are four atomic clocks -- two Seiko, and two other different ones
I've never heard of.  They are all different, all the time, sometimes by
as much as 10 seconds.  The purpose originally was to synchronize the
times recorded during a blood donation (required by the FDA which
regulates blood centers). I suggested only one clock in the place.
They're thinking about it.

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98

Charles Greene wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Right.  You need to buy three, and the majority wins.
>
> At 08:23 PM 10/13/2004, Joe - aa4nn wrote:
> >Whatever you'all do, don't buy TWO atomic clocks.  Otherwise you'll never
> >know what time it is.  I have two MFJ Radio Controlled clocks that after
> >two years have finally synced in with UTC but even now they are two
> >seconds apart.  Go figger.  You can manually set the Hours on these clocks
> >but not the minutes & seconds.
> >73, Joe, aa4nn

Re: RS sale items (more)

k6dgw
Similar conversation here in Auburn in the foothills of the Sierra
Nevada.  I think the sale is company-wide.  However, there are a lot of
things in bags that I would define as "Parts" that they apparently
don't.  I'm quite sure cell phones are in that category as well.

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98

Ward Willats wrote:

> I was in my local (Scotts Valley, CA) store to buy some parts from
> the drawers and found out all the individual components in there are
> half-off this month. Whether this is a local phenomenon or
> system-wide, I don't know.
>
> When the guy told me I was getting half-off, I said (smart-mouth)
> "Why? Getting out of the business?"
>
> He said "No, we are trying to get back to our roots."
>
> [insert skeptical surprise here]
>
> I said: "What, that cell-phone thing didn't work out for you guys?"
>
> Him: "No, that's doing fine, we just thought parts had been neglected."
>
> -- Ward / KG6HAF

Re: One more re:Atomic Clocks

Ed Long-2
All,

I think those clocks only update the time from Boulder 4 times per day. At least my Radio Shack ones do that - you can tell by watching the antenna symbol to show when they're seeking the signal. So if they are a few seconds off during the interim because they are running at slightly different oscillator rates, I would think that's kind of normal. I think the advertised accuracy of "1 second per thousand years" or whatever is not quite correct. But 4 times per day they should be within milliseconds! Ever try listening to WWV and watching the clock at the same time? (Can you tell I need to get a life?)

73,

Ed Long
WA4SWJ

(sorry for the off-topic post)

  Charles Greene wrote:

  > Joe,
  >
  > Right.  You need to buy three, and the majority wins.
  >
  > At 08:23 PM 10/13/2004, Joe - aa4nn wrote:
  > >Whatever you'all do, don't buy TWO atomic clocks.  Otherwise you'll never
  > >know what time it is.  I have two MFJ Radio Controlled clocks that after
  > >two years have finally synced in with UTC but even now they are two
  > >seconds apart.  Go figger.  You can manually set the Hours on these clocks
  > >but not the minutes & seconds.
  > >73, Joe, aa4nn

Re: RS sale items (more)

Art - W6KY
Old Radio Shack Manager here...
What they are trying to do is get rid of all the discontinued/devalued
merchandise. All the stores in each district have been directed to
send their disco/deval to specific stores that have a good past
record of being able to sell disco/deval. If you want to know which
store/s in your district have the stuff, the dist office should be in
your yellow pages. Call and find out......This is something new for
RatShack. Normally the 18 year old manager just lets the stuff sit
in the back room till it devalues to $0.00, scraps it and takes it
home. Or makes it into GrabBags, which takes it out of inventory,
and throws it in the trash. Remember, to most of the RS managers,
those IC's are "those little black things in the drawers"...Junk! Only
Cell Phones have any value because you get extra money above
min wage to sell those...You can loose $5000 worth of parts at RS
and keep your job, but hells to pay if a $99 cell phone is missing!
Have fun, Art   W6KY    K1-2  K1-4