RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Having a problem with the RX IQ output every time I plug into the sound card I get a hum or buzz. Input is stereo on the sound card. Do not have the same problems when I input from phones to input in sound card for digital mode work. Sound card is a creative x-fi 1090 thanks for any help!
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

pa0pje
Hi Tabb,

What SDR software do you use to run the I/Q output with?

73,
Peter - PA0PJE

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> Having a problem with the RX IQ output every time I plug into the sound card
> I get a hum or buzz. Input is stereo on the sound card. Do not have the same
> problems when I input from phones to input in sound card for digital mode
> work. Sound card is a creative x-fi 1090 thanks for any help!

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
HDSRD SOFTWARE

Sent from my iPad

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> Having a problem with the RX IQ output every time I plug into the sound card
> I get a hum or buzz. Input is stereo on the sound card. Do not have the same
> problems when I input from phones to input in sound card for digital mode
> work. Sound card is a creative x-fi 1090 thanks for any help!

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561p7568562.html
To unsubscribe from RX IQ sound card problems KX3, click here.
NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

pa0pje
OK, and did you switch on the RX I/Q option in the menu to: ON?

What do you see on the spectrum and waterfall display in HDSDR?

I have HDSDR too, not yet with the KX3 (but will be soon...:-) and I use
that currently with a Softrock mixer on 30 meters with a laptop (W7) and
an X-Fi usb soundcard. Works great there but you need to pay attention
to all settings in HDSDR like choosing the correct soundcard audio
(line)input.

73,
Peter - PA0PJE

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> HDSRD SOFTWARE
>

> Sent from my iPad

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Yep it is on in the menu, when I bring up the display on HDSDR there is a large carrier in the center of the display same noise I am hearing when I plug the RX IQ into the sound card. Strange thing is when I just use the phones output from the KX3 I don't get the noise just when I plug into the RX IQ port. I can work digital modes just fine with no noise.

Sent from my iPad

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> HDSRD SOFTWARE
>

> Sent from my iPad

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561p7568566.html
To unsubscribe from RX IQ sound card problems KX3, click here.
NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

pa0pje
OK, so I suppose when you move the line-in level to zero the noise from
the computer speakers go to zero as well.

Check if not by mistake the microphone is used as input for HDSDR.

You cannot use the phones output in combination with HDSDR, the program
expects the I and Q sigs on the respective left and right channels of
the sound card's line input. The output from HDSDR should then in turn
be routed to the computer's speakers. In fact the line input also
affects the reading on the S-meter in HDSDR.

The large "carrier" looks to me as the hum you describe, for that would
be seen as a carrier close to the center frequency displayed.

If you unplug the I/Q output on the KX3 and touch the tip or ring on the
plug you should be able to see and hear that action in HDSDR.

73,
Peter - PA0PJE

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> Yep it is on in the menu, when I bring up the display on HDSDR there
> is a large carrier in the center of the display same noise I am
> hearing when I plug the RX IQ into the sound card. Strange thing is
> when I just use the phones output from the KX3 I don't get the noise
> just when I plug into the RX IQ port. I can work digital modes just
> fine with no noise.

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Right I just have the RX IQ plugged into the sound card not both, strange that I don't have problem when I am just using it for digital modes. Just got another email that another ham was having the same problem.

Sent from my iPad

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> Yep it is on in the menu, when I bring up the display on HDSDR there
> is a large carrier in the center of the display same noise I am
> hearing when I plug the RX IQ into the sound card. Strange thing is
> when I just use the phones output from the KX3 I don't get the noise
> just when I plug into the RX IQ port. I can work digital modes just
> fine with no noise.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561p7568568.html
To unsubscribe from RX IQ sound card problems KX3, click here.
NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

Don Wilhelm-4
Tabb,

You may have to use isolation transformers (galvanic isolators) in the I
and Q lines between the KX3 and the soundcard.
The I and Q outputs are not at a high enough level for use on digital
modes, the headphone output is usually necessary to adequately
illuminate a waterfall display.

On 1/11/2013 7:10 PM, W9TTW Tabb Adams wrote:
> Right I just have the RX IQ plugged into the sound card not both, strange that I don't have problem when I am just using it for digital modes. Just got another email that another ham was having the same problem.

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

pa0pje
OK, I don't understand the "digital modes" you are talking about. That
has nothing to do with SDR via the I/Q output. I'm afraid I can't help
you further with this.

73,
Peter - PA0PJE

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> Right I just have the RX IQ plugged into the sound card not both, strange that I don't have problem when I am just using it for digital modes. Just got another email that another ham was having the same problem.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Sorry just stating that when I use the output from the phones connection on the KX3 into the line in on the sound card I don't have the hum, just when I plug the RX IQ inTo the line in on the sound card

Sent from my iPad

W9TTW Tabb Adams schreef:
> Right I just have the RX IQ plugged into the sound card not both, strange that I don't have problem when I am just using it for digital modes. Just got another email that another ham was having the same problem.
>
> Sent from my iPad

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561p7568571.html
To unsubscribe from RX IQ sound card problems KX3, click here.
NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Right I understand that part I only use the phones connection for digital modes may try an isolator thanks.

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 11, 2013, at 7:17 PM, "Don Wilhelm-4 [via Elecraft]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Tabb,

You may have to use isolation transformers (galvanic isolators) in the I
and Q lines between the KX3 and the soundcard.
The I and Q outputs are not at a high enough level for use on digital
modes, the headphone output is usually necessary to adequately
illuminate a waterfall display.

On 1/11/2013 7:10 PM, W9TTW Tabb Adams wrote:
> Right I just have the RX IQ plugged into the sound card not both, strange that I don't have problem when I am just using it for digital modes. Just got another email that another ham was having the same problem.

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561p7568570.html
To unsubscribe from RX IQ sound card problems KX3, click here.
NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Hey I got it figured out just needed a isolator between the radio and computer. I do have one question on the scope I see the same signals up and down from the center frequency. One in upper side band and one in lower side band. Do I have a setting wrong in the option menu?

NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

Don Wilhelm-4
Tabb.

You are seeing images.  That is a result of either imbalance in your
soundcard gain settings for the I and Q settings or a failure ot the
application to adjust for those images.  If you are using NaP3 as your
application, there are steps you can take to detect and cancel the
images - tune to a strong signal and the cancellation process is automatic.

I refer you to the archives on LP-Pan Yahoo group for more information.
Most of the information on NaP3 and PowerSDR-IF can be found there.

On 1/11/2013 11:10 PM, W9TTW Tabb Adams wrote:
> Hey I got it figured out just needed a isolator between the radio and computer. I do have one question on the scope I see the same signals up and down from the center frequency. One in upper side band and one in lower side band. Do I have a setting wrong in the option menu?

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

F5LCI
IIRC the connector must be firmly pressed.
Check that the (right) connectors mate completely, and check the cable.

Hope this helps,
72 de Jean-Marc, F5LCI

Le Sat, 12 Jan 2013 00:03:45 +0100, W9TTW Tabb Adams [via Elecraft] <[hidden email]> a écrit:

Having a problem with the RX IQ output every time I plug into the sound card I get a hum or buzz. Input is stereo on the sound card. Do not have the same problems when I input from phones to input in sound card for digital mode work. Sound card is a creative x-fi 1090 thanks for any help!
Tabb W9TTW

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561.html
To unsubscribe from [KX3], click here.
NAML

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

pa0pje
Tabb,

I now have received my KX3 and it's working ok. Took me just part of an
evening to assemble it. Of course I did try the HDSDR software and
indeed I have the same hum, which is due to ground loops. I also
experienced the total lack of image suppression but that turned out to
be a bad contact in the 3.5 mm jack plug at the female end of the
adapter cable for 3.5 > 2.5 mm. Thoroughly cleaning the plug solved the
problem. Next step will be the isolation. The Softrock mixer has an
isolated BNC connector at it's input, therefore did not show this hum
problem.

73,
Peter - PA0PJE

Don Wilhelm schreef:

> Tabb.
>
> You are seeing images.  That is a result of either imbalance in your
> soundcard gain settings for the I and Q settings or a failure ot the
> application to adjust for those images.  If you are using NaP3 as your
> application, there are steps you can take to detect and cancel the
> images - tune to a strong signal and the cancellation process is automatic.
>
> I refer you to the archives on LP-Pan Yahoo group for more information.
> Most of the information on NaP3 and PowerSDR-IF can be found there.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 1/11/2013 11:10 PM, W9TTW Tabb Adams wrote:
>> Hey I got it figured out just needed a isolator between the radio and
>> computer. I do have one question on the scope I see the same signals
>> up and down from the center frequency. One in upper side band and one
>> in lower side band. Do I have a setting wrong in the option menu?

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Thanks for the update I have ordered a nice isolator from Cables To Go should have it soon I will let you know how it works out!

W9TTW 73

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:38 PM
Subject: Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

Don Wilhelm schreef:

> Tabb.
>
> You are seeing images.  That is a result of either imbalance in your
> soundcard gain settings for the I and Q settings or a failure ot the
> application to adjust for those images.  If you are using NaP3 as your
> application, there are steps you can take to detect and cancel the
> images - tune to a strong signal and the cancellation process is automatic.
>
> I refer you to the archives on LP-Pan Yahoo group for more information.
> Most of the information on NaP3 and PowerSDR-IF can be found there.
>
> 73,
> Don W3FPR
>
> On 1/11/2013 11:10 PM, W9TTW Tabb Adams wrote:
>> Hey I got it figured out just needed a isolator between the radio and
>> computer. I do have one question on the scope I see the same signals
>> up and down from the center frequency. One in upper side band and one
>> in lower side band. Do I have a setting wrong in the option menu?

> Post: mailto:<A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=7568835&amp;i=0" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]

Post: mailto:<A href="wlmailhtml:/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=7568835&amp;i=1" rel=nofollow target=_top link="external">[hidden email]

http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/RX-IQ-sound-card-problems-KX3-tp7568561p7568835.html
To unsubscribe from RX IQ sound card problems KX3, click here.
NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

W9TTW Tabb Adams
Hey got my Isolation transformer today works FB. One problem I cant get the notch filter to work on HDSDR. Any ideas? Left clicking like the instruction say but no notch filter shows up.

Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:38 PM

NAML
Tabb W9TTW

Re: RX IQ sound card problems KX3

pa0pje
Hi Tabb,

Click "Notch" then click the signal to be notched in the bandwidth
display, as the button pop-up says.
Click the notched signal again to clear...

See both pictures as an example.
(pictures sent directly to you)

73,
Peter

Op 2013-01-22 0:41 schreef W9TTW Tabb Adams:> Hey got my Isolation