Re: (Another) End of an Era

ve3dvy
Sad to see the national broadcasters like BBC and recently CBC (Radio
Canada International) leaving the shortwave bands.

    On 7/15/2012 11:34 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

> For all of you SWL's spooking the HF bands with your K3s and KX3s, here is
> another end of an era - the BBC leaving its home facilities at Bush House
> after 70 years of broadcasting:
>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18801251
>

> Nice video -
>

> Personally, I will never forget snuggling under the covers in my bed wearing
> my old hard Bakelite headphones plugged into my regenerative receiver with
> its type 76 tubes glowing in the darkness and listening to the BBC programs
> such as "How to Put Up Your Car for the Winter".  In this day it's hard to
> realize just how magical it was to hear voices coming from half way around
> the world.
>

> And time moves on.. Hold up,  I'm coming!!!
>

> 73, Ron AC7AC

Re: (Another) End of an Era

M0XDF
Not leaving the bands, just moving from Bush house to a new building.
73 de David, M0XDF
--
Since we are destined to live out our lives in the prison of our minds, our
one duty is to furnish it well.

On 16 Jul 2012, at 22:27, David Moes wrote:

> Sad to see the national broadcasters like BBC and recently CBC (Radio
> Canada International) leaving the shortwave bands.
>

>    On 7/15/2012 11:34 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
>> For all of you SWL's spooking the HF bands with your K3s and KX3s, here is
>> another end of an era - the BBC leaving its home facilities at Bush House
>> after 70 years of broadcasting:
>>

>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18801251
>>

>> Nice video -
>>

>> Personally, I will never forget snuggling under the covers in my bed wearing
>> my old hard Bakelite headphones plugged into my regenerative receiver with
>> its type 76 tubes glowing in the darkness and listening to the BBC programs
>> such as "How to Put Up Your Car for the Winter".  In this day it's hard to
>> realize just how magical it was to hear voices coming from half way around
>> the world.
>>

>> And time moves on.. Hold up,  I'm coming!!!
>>

>> 73, Ron AC7AC

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

Jim Low man
Maybe I missed something in the article, but I didn't read that BBC was
shutting
down; only that they were moving to a new location.

I was also unaware that CBC had gone silent on the shortwave bands.

Last time driving north from Bakersfield on Highway 99, I noticed that
the VOA
towers were conspicuous by their absence.  We used to be able to see
them for
miles.  Luckily, one day that we were at the International DX Convention in
Visalia circa 1999, we drove out to the site and were given a tour by a
friendly
engineer who was on duty at the time.

Which reminds me - I had intended to monitor the "Night of Nights" message
from KPH last Thursday, when I realized that not one radio that I have has
general coverage.  Even with years of technological advances, I always
favored
those that were for the ham bands only.  Classical thinking was that
designing
otherwise would degrade performance on the ham bands.  Times have changed.

To bring things back on topic, it looks like I should order the bandpass
filter for
the K3 so that I can tune through the shortwave bands from time to time.

72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

On 7/16/2012 2:27 PM, David Moes wrote:
> Sad to see the national broadcasters like BBC and recently CBC (Radio
> Canada International) leaving the shortwave bands.

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

J&J Kulp

On Jul 16, 2012, at 6:09 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:
> Or do what I did and NOT order the bandpass filter and put the money into a KX3....Then I have another radio AND the short wave bands...
(Might be faulty logic, but it worked for me.....smile)

de jim     K3SW

> To bring things back on topic, it looks like I should order the bandpass
> filter for
> the K3 so that I can tune through the shortwave bands from time to time.
>
> 72/73 de Jim - AD6CW

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

ve3dvy
  My Bad   misinterpreted the message on the BBC

But The CBC did end its shortwave service at the end of June 2012 after
67 years.

On 7/16/2012 6:09 PM, Jim Lowman wrote:
> Maybe I missed something in the article, but I didn't read that BBC was
> shutting
> down; only that they were moving to a new location.
>
> I was also unaware that CBC had gone silent on the shortwave bands.

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

Phil Kane-2
On 7/17/2012 5:42 PM, David Moes wrote:

> But The CBC did end its shortwave service at the end of June 2012 after
> 67 years.

  As have many other HF broadcasters, who have found out that it is
cheaper to set the programs up on an Internet server than to pump many
KW of RF into the air.

Makes having an all-band receiver that much less valuable, but I still
wish that my K2 would have had one.

  --
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

>From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

David Christ
For the SWL fan who is interested in the challenge of being able to
receive the station in is a downer.

Of course the upside is how much more is available for the people who
are only interested in hearing the content.  For $140 you can buy an
Internet radio that can be set to an estimated 18,000 different
stations.

Upside for amateurs is that it reduces the pressure on spectrum.

David K0LUM

At 1:18 PM -0700 7/18/12, Phil Kane wrote:
>On 7/17/2012 5:42 PM, David Moes wrote:
>

>   As have many other HF broadcasters, who have found out that it is
>cheaper to set the programs up on an Internet server than to pump many
>KW of RF into the air.

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

W6ODJ
Dear Dave,

And the downside is that if all the national broadcasts and religious broadcasts desert the HF spectrum, then there will be no risk when regulators let radio noise sources proliferate unchecked.  For example, there have been a few articles about a new technology for charging cell phones remotely by using radio wave in the 40 meter range.  These will be little radio jammer devices, no matter how the manufacturers may deny it.  And the remaining users of he HF spectrum, us hams, will just be out of luck.

Oliver Johns
W6ODJ

On Jul 18, 2012, at 2:03 PM, David Christ wrote:

> For the SWL fan who is interested in the challenge of being able to
> receive the station in is a downer.
>
> Of course the upside is how much more is available for the people who
> are only interested in hearing the content.  For $140 you can buy an
> Internet radio that can be set to an estimated 18,000 different
> stations.
>
> Upside for amateurs is that it reduces the pressure on spectrum.
>
> David K0LUM
>
> At 1:18 PM -0700 7/18/12, Phil Kane wrote:
>> On 7/17/2012 5:42 PM, David Moes wrote:
>>

>>  As have many other HF broadcasters, who have found out that it is
>> cheaper to set the programs up on an Internet server than to pump many
>> KW of RF into the air.

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

David Christ
That battle is lost already.  Plasma TVs, switching wall warts,
radiating Ethernet devices, noisy CFLs, PWM motors in washers and
treadmills just to name a few of the existing problems.

The consumer's view is that they paid good money for their stuff and
as long as it performs the function they purchased it for they don't
see any issue.  Your neighbor who just spent $3000 or more on his new
plasma TV will have little sympathy for you and neither the
manufacturer nor the FCC will give you any help.

David K0LUM

At 3:48 PM -0700 7/18/12, Oliver Johns wrote:

>Dear Dave,
>
>And the downside is that if all the national broadcasts and
>religious broadcasts desert the HF spectrum, then there will be no
>risk when regulators let radio noise sources proliferate unchecked.
>For example, there have been a few articles about a new technology
>for charging cell phones remotely by using radio wave in the 40
>meter range.  These will be little radio jammer devices, no matter
>how the manufacturers may deny it.  And the remaining users of he HF
>spectrum, us hams, will just be out of luck.
>
>Oliver Johns
>W6ODJ
>

>On Jul 18, 2012, at 2:03 PM, David Christ wrote:
>
>>  For the SWL fan who is interested in the challenge of being able to
>>  receive the station in is a downer.
>>
>>  Of course the upside is how much more is available for the people who
>>  are only interested in hearing the content.  For $140 you can buy an
>>  Internet radio that can be set to an estimated 18,000 different
>>  stations.
>>
>>  Upside for amateurs is that it reduces the pressure on spectrum.
>>
>>  David K0LUM
>>
>>  At 1:18 PM -0700 7/18/12, Phil Kane wrote:
>>>  On 7/17/2012 5:42 PM, David Moes wrote:
>>>

>>>   As have many other HF broadcasters, who have found out that it is
>>>  cheaper to set the programs up on an Internet server than to pump many
>>>  KW of RF into the air.
>>  Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>  This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>>  Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: OT: (Another) End of an Era

riese-k3djc

Try living next to a hospital
not sure what the answer is
there pagers take out 144
krap on 80,40,20
there switchers that run the elevators intermittent
krap
if we ever get 600 meters there does seem
to be a lull in the noise around 500 Khz

Bob K3DJC

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:54:55 -0500 David Christ <[hidden email]>
writes:
> That battle is lost already.  Plasma TVs, switching wall warts,
> radiating Ethernet devices, noisy CFLs, PWM motors in washers and
> treadmills just to name a few of the existing problems.

OT: (Another) End of an Era

Fred Townsend
Don't forget the solar awnings. The ones at our local college wipe out the
commercial broadcast (AM) band. At least they go dark when the sun does.
Fred, AE6QL