Re: KPA100 middle screw alteration

Ron ZL1TW

    When I replaced the screws on my K2/100, I drilled a hole right through
the heat-sink rail on the KPA100 at the middle screw mounting, and tapped
it for 4-40 and installed a bit longer screws.
No messing about with inserts, quick and easy, and is not noticeable. Just
need the appropriate tap.
Cheers......Ron ZL1TW

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Re: Re: KPA100 middle screw alteration

Stewart Baker
On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:36:52 +1300, ZL1TW wrote:

> When I replaced the screws on my K2/100, I drilled a hole right through
> the heat-sink rail on the KPA100 at the middle screw mounting, and tapped
> it for 4-40 and installed a bit longer screws.
> No messing about with inserts, quick and easy, and is not noticeable. Just
> need the appropriate tap.
> Cheers......Ron ZL1TW

My mod to the heat sink was to enlarge the middle holes with a drill, and insert
suitably sized nuts secured in place with epoxy resin glue. No worries.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

Re: Re: KPA100 middle screw alteration

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-2
Don't want to drag this out, but I am with you Ron. I find that the "warts"
give the K2/100 an "unfinished" look, stands out like a sore thumb against
most other gear in the shack. I hope that any new products that might come
from Elecraft will NOT have "warts".

73,
Geoff     GM4ESD

>     When I replaced the screws on my K2/100, I drilled a hole right
through
> the heat-sink rail on the KPA100 at the middle screw mounting, and tapped
> it for 4-40 and installed a bit longer screws.
> No messing about with inserts, quick and easy, and is not noticeable. Just
> need the appropriate tap.
> Cheers......Ron ZL1TW

Re: Re: KPA100 middle screw alteration

Stewart Baker
Am getting a bit fed up of my K2 scratching it's brother (KPA100/KAT100 in EC2
case) and a FT1000MP - well forget the last one..
Might do the countersink mod some time.

73
Stewart G3RXQ