Re: KX1 in a Box

Mike F.
AK,

Nice job! I have mine in the same case but like your arrangement better. What is the material "lining" the sides of some of the compartments? Is there meaning in the color coding of the antenna elements?

73,
Mike, KCØKBC

Re: KX1 in a Box

AK Keller
Thanks! The lining on the two sides opposite the main compartment is
plastic from the lid of an icecream pail. It's been roughened with a
dremel and grinding stone and the roughened side glued to the foam
wall.  Before I added it, the walls bowed out a lot, since they are
only one block thick.  The wall joined to the back wall is also pinned
in place with two U shaped paperclips. It had come use after some use.
I'll be gluing that in place as well.

The far end (from the radio) of each antenna element is tied to each
velcro cable-tie.  White is the 24' vertical element. Orange, yellow,
and green respectively are the 20, 30, and 40 meter band quarterwave
radial elements.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Mike F. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> AK,
>
> Nice job! I have mine in the same case but like your arrangement better. What is the material "lining" the sides of some of the compartments? Is there meaning in the color coding of the antenna elements?
>

> 73,
> Mike, KCØKBC

Re: KX1 in a Box

Ron and all,

I agree that "well padded" cases such as the Pelican for any modern
radio is overkill.  Today's solid state radios are not fragile (glass is
fragile, radios have not been fragile since the disappearance of vacuum
tubes from our radios).  Today's radios can withstand a substantial drop
that will deform the enclosure and they will still work (reminds me of -
"it takes a licking and keeps on ticking").

The Pelican case does make an enclosure that is probably immune to
airline baggage handlers abuse, and is watertight for those who need
that aspect, and the compartments provided by the pull-apart foam make
it a neat installation for any transceiver.  It does make a very nice
package.

As Ron pointed out, it is not the "only game in town" - any carry case
can do the job satisfactorily, even those grocery store "green bags" can
be placed into service for carrying your radio and other parts of your
portable station into the field.

Pack your Elecraft radio so the enclosure will not be damaged in
transport or shipping, and the radio function will be OK (unless
something was loose or screws were missing) when it is removed from the
transport (shipping) container and put into service.

Now answer why I receive so many transceivers for repair with loads of
tape securing the bubble wrap "every which way", and fragile stamps all
over the packing.  Sorry for the RANT, but solid state devices are not
fragile, and one does not have to tape every corner of the wrapping
material - one or two pieces of tape to hold the bubble-wrap in place is
enough.

]