Re: [KX3] Re: How close ???

wayne burdick
Administrator
[hidden email] wrote:
> Seems like all questions on the KX3 get an answer pretty quick from
> the inventors except the when question. Maybe testing is a little
> behind, maybe parts are not available, maybe manufacturing is taking
> longer to gear up than expecpted....

Hi Curron,

As usual with a complex product release it's a bit of "all of the
above." Last month, we gave early field-test units to several very
picky operators who've been scrutinizing every detail on behalf of
future customers. Several opportunities for improvement have come out
of this, and it's critical that we get such changes in now, rather
than impose field-upgrades later.

I already mentioned the change to the internal battery; the battery
holders will now be included, even if you don't purchase the charger
module. Our testers also just convinced us to switch to a much nicer
(but more expensive) optical shaft encoder for VFO A. These and other
last-minute tweaks necessitated layout changes to both of the main PC
boards. Since costs also went up, we've been working with vendors to
get better pricing on other parts, where possible, so we can hold the
line on the retail price.

My seven year-old, Griffin, may be the most impatient future KX3 user
of all. He's got his own corner at my workbench where he tests
batteries, rigs up improbable assemblies of scrapped parts, and makes
sure I'm working instead of playing my guitar. "When?" is his favorite
question, and he'll be the first to know.

We're still hoping to take orders in December.

Wayne
N6KR

Re: [KX3] Re: How close ???

Helmut Berka - DL2MAJ
Hi Wayne,

hopefully you mean December 2011

vy 73 de Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Helmut - DL2MAJ Helmut Berka
-----

On 11.12.2011 17:42, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Seems like all questions on the KX3 get an answer pretty quick from
>> the inventors except the when question. Maybe testing is a little
>> behind, maybe parts are not available, maybe manufacturing is taking
>> longer to gear up than expecpted....
>>
> Hi Curron,
>
> As usual with a complex product release it's a bit of "all of the
> above." Last month, we gave early field-test units to several very
> picky operators who've been scrutinizing every detail on behalf of
> future customers. Several opportunities for improvement have come out
> of this, and it's critical that we get such changes in now, rather
> than impose field-upgrades later.
>
> I already mentioned the change to the internal battery; the battery
> holders will now be included, even if you don't purchase the charger
> module. Our testers also just convinced us to switch to a much nicer
> (but more expensive) optical shaft encoder for VFO A. These and other
> last-minute tweaks necessitated layout changes to both of the main PC
> boards. Since costs also went up, we've been working with vendors to
> get better pricing on other parts, where possible, so we can hold the
> line on the retail price.
>
> My seven year-old, Griffin, may be the most impatient future KX3 user
> of all. He's got his own corner at my workbench where he tests
> batteries, rigs up improbable assemblies of scrapped parts, and makes
> sure I'm working instead of playing my guitar. "When?" is his favorite
> question, and he'll be the first to know.
>
> We're still hoping to take orders in December.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

Re: [KX3] Re: How close ???

TJ Campie
THOSE BLASTED FIELD TESTERS!!!!
In reality, the day to take orders is fairly meaningless... none of us are
going to get our new little toys until February anyway.  That is going to
be the hardest part...

TJ W0EA

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Seems like all questions on the KX3 get an answer pretty quick from
> > the inventors except the when question. Maybe testing is a little
> > behind, maybe parts are not available, maybe manufacturing is taking
> > longer to gear up than expecpted....
> >

> Hi Curron,
>
> As usual with a complex product release it's a bit of "all of the
> above." Last month, we gave early field-test units to several very
> picky operators who've been scrutinizing every detail on behalf of
> future customers. Several opportunities for improvement have come out
> of this, and it's critical that we get such changes in now, rather
> than impose field-upgrades later.
>
> I already mentioned the change to the internal battery; the battery
> holders will now be included, even if you don't purchase the charger
> module. Our testers also just convinced us to switch to a much nicer
> (but more expensive) optical shaft encoder for VFO A. These and other
> last-minute tweaks necessitated layout changes to both of the main PC
> boards. Since costs also went up, we've been working with vendors to
> get better pricing on other parts, where possible, so we can hold the
> line on the retail price.
>
> My seven year-old, Griffin, may be the most impatient future KX3 user
> of all. He's got his own corner at my workbench where he tests
> batteries, rigs up improbable assemblies of scrapped parts, and makes
> sure I'm working instead of playing my guitar. "When?" is his favorite
> question, and he'll be the first to know.
>
> We're still hoping to take orders in December.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR

> <*> Your email settings:
>    Individual Email | Traditional
>
> <*> To change settings online go to:
>    (Yahoo! ID required)
>
> <*> To change settings via email:
>    [hidden email]
>    [hidden email]

>    [hidden email]

>    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: [KX3] Re: How close ???

Tony Estep
On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 10:48 AM, TJ Campie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> THOSE BLASTED FIELD TESTERS!!!!
===========
Yeah, why test? Do what the competitors do: Get it in shape so it will
work for at least some users, and ship it. Then whenever there's a
user complaint, the guys for whom it does work can all chime in "no
problem here at my qth," and the manufacturer can just shrug.

Luckily for all of us, that's not the Elecraft way. But I sure would
like to get my hands on a KX3.....

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352

Re: [KX3] Re: How close ???

Tom KG3V
I agree. I would prefer they don't take orders until they have radios ready
to ship. Why is everybody in such a hurry to part with their money? We also
don't want them to ship radios until they are ready. Once we get them, we
want them to be good for many years of use.

I am as impatient as the next guy, but let's wait till it is ready. For all
of you who really can't wait, I could take you money now and hold it...
Just contact me off list

73,

Tom
KG3V