Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Bruce Beford-2
Phil, this is normal, and intentional. In keeping with the portable ethos of
the KX3, having a completely free-wheeling VFO knob is not particularly
desirable. It helps prevent unintentional frequency shifts. I think you will
find that you get used to it.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

> I got my KX3 kit (s/n 268) earlier this week.  I had a few day pause in
> building it while I waited for a couple of missing parts to come from
> Aptos.
> I finished it today.  It's a beautiful little rig.  The only thing that I
> have noticed so far that I am not wild about is that the VFO A knob (main
> tuning) is stiff.

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Phil Shepard
I thought that could be the reason.  Along the lines of the two button
turn-on sequence to prevent accidental power-ups in a pack.  This is a
wonderful K2 replacement for my SOTA pack.  Thank you.

73,

Phil

Phil, this is normal, and intentional. In keeping with the portable ethos of
the KX3, having a completely free-wheeling VFO knob is not particularly
desirable. It helps prevent unintentional frequency shifts. I think you will
find that you get used to it.

73,
Bruce, N1RX

> I got my KX3 kit (s/n 268) earlier this week.  I had a few day pause in
> building it while I waited for a couple of missing parts to come from
> Aptos.
> I finished it today.  It's a beautiful little rig.  The only thing that I
> have noticed so far that I am not wild about is that the VFO A knob (main
> tuning) is stiff.

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

Raymond Sills
I agree with Bruce.  Whey I want to QSY fast, I change the RATE via
the push button, and can be at the other end of the band in a few
turns of the tuning dial.  Another trick I do is -not- use the dimple,
but place my index finger on the ribbed dial grip and spin the dial by
letting it roll underneath my finger.  My finger is on the
circumference of the knob, so you get a better mechanical advantage.

73 de Ray
K2ULR

On Jun 9, 2012, at 7:41 PM, Bruce Beford wrote:

> Phil, this is normal, and intentional. In keeping with the portable
> ethos of
> the KX3, having a completely free-wheeling VFO knob is not
> particularly
> desirable. It helps prevent unintentional frequency shifts. I think
> you will
> find that you get used to it.
>
> 73,
> Bruce, N1RX
>

>> I got my KX3 kit (s/n 268) earlier this week.  I had a few day
>> pause in
>> building it while I waited for a couple of missing parts to come from
>> Aptos.
>> I finished it today.  It's a beautiful little rig.  The only thing
>> that I
>> have noticed so far that I am not wild about is that the VFO A knob
>> (main
>> tuning) is stiff.

Re: KX3 Tuning knob friction

David Higdon
Another option is to use the VFO B to for more coarse tuning.

Dave Higdon KD4ICT

Re: KX3 tuning knob friction

KO5HX
Phil,

I had a mishap this morning with my radio desk which resulted in my kx3 knob
dropping to the floor and my kx3 dangling by its antenna.  When I put the
knob back on, I found that if I pushed it against the felt, it was too
stiff.  If I just dropped it on the shaft and then set the screw, it was
back to the factory feel.  I remembered seeing this post and figured the
experience was worth mentioning for the next builder or blunderer.  I was
surprised at he variance.

Steven

--
Sent from: http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/