Re: question for psk users

Glen, W6GJB
There was a question posted about power level and IMD when
transmitting PSK31.  I recent built a pskmeter kit and checked out my
signal.  I found that the 5-bar rule of thumb for the K3 is good for
up to about 70 watts.  IMD remains below -27db.  Above 70 watts drive
must be reduced.  But you shouldn't ever use that kind of power on
psk, anyway.
I drive my amp with 25 watts, so I just leave it there and run psk
barefoot.  That's plenty of power.

Glen W6GJB

Re: question for psk users

Elecraft K3

On May 1, 2012, at 9:23 AM, GLEN BROWN wrote:

>  Above 70 watts...  But you shouldn't ever use that kind of power on
> psk, anyway.

I'm curious why you think this.

73 de Eric, KG6MZS

Re: question for psk users

Jon Perelstein
Eric KG6MZS asked why wouldn't you run more than 70w on PSK

Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands, a
signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the other
PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.  The rule of
thumb for being polite on PSK is to operate 25-30w max.  I won't claim that
there aren't some who are operating more (you Cuban stations know who you
are), but many/most of us will avoid QSOs with people who are obviously
running 50w+

73s
Jon, WB2RYV

Re: question for psk users

Vic Rosenthal
I'm very ignorant on the subject, having made exactly one PSK QSO in my life. But wouldn't
propagation, antennas, etc. all have a bearing on signal strength at a given location?
Dipole vs. beam makes a greater difference than 25 vs 50 watts.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: question for psk users

Jim Brown-10
On 5/1/2012 8:46 PM, Jon Perelstein wrote:
> Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands, a
> signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the other
> PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.

This is urban myth that keeps getting propagated and eventually everyone
believes it as gospel. It's only basis in fact is that folks using
el-cheapo radios can find it difficult to separate small signals from
big ones.  That's nothing new -- it's been true as long as radio has
existed, and it's why it's worth spending money on better receivers.
It's why I dumped my S38D in 1957 for a BC348, and why I was thrilled
when an OT loaded me an SX101 a year later.  It's why I bought an Omni A
in 1980, an Omni V in 2003, then a K2, then an MP and finally a K3 a few
years ago.  And it's a big part of why the serious DXpeditions all use K3s.

There are MANY factors that contribute to signal strength, including
antenna efficiency and gain, antenna pattern, propagation, and yes,
transmit power.  Of those factors, transmit power is the SMALLEST.  The
difference between 50W and 500W is 10 dB. The difference between a short
indoor random wire with no counterpoise and a resonant outdoor dipole
will often be 15-20 dB. A 3-el Yagi is typically good for another 5-6
dB, add 3 more dB for making it twice as long.

What is FAR, FAR more important to prevent interference is making sure
that your signal is CLEAN -- no sidebands produced by audio distortion,
or by distortion in a poorly adjusted rig or power amp.

73, Jim K9YC

Re: question for psk users

gm3sek
Jim Brown wrote:
>> Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands, a
>> signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the other
>> PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.
>
>This is urban myth that keeps getting propagated and eventually
>everyone believes it as gospel.
[...]

The reason why a strong signal will "annihilate all the other PSK
signals" is that most users are trying to receive an entire 2.5kHz
bandwidth in one gulp. This means that even one strong signal within
that bandwidth will activate the AGC and drive all the other signals
down.

Regrettably most PSK users don't understand what is happening, so they
have to rationalize it into simpler terms like "It's a crime to be
loud."

>There are MANY factors that contribute to signal strength, including
>antenna efficiency and gain, antenna pattern, propagation, and yes,
>transmit power.  Of those factors, transmit power is the SMALLEST.

And propagation is by far the BIGGEST factor in making someone's signal
loud, for the most innocent of reasons.

>What is FAR, FAR more important to prevent interference is making sure
>that your signal is CLEAN -- no sidebands produced by audio distortion,
>or by distortion in a poorly adjusted rig or power amp.

IMD is certainly another important factor. Naturally, IMD will show far
more clearly on a strong signal than a weak one so once again this gets
rationalized into "strong = IMD".

But PSK's big, unacknowledged 'elephant in the room' will always be the
habit of receiving in a 2.5kHz bandwidth. Unfortunately this is deeply
engrained in the PSK culture.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: question for psk users

Guy, K2AV
They like being able to watch all 20 conversations in the bandwidth at the
same time, and see new signals pop up without having to be tuning around.
 Move the pointer and click on the new signal to answer.  The 2.5 is a
"mini-band" by consensus.  The audio out in reality is an IF.

So there are rules to keep things nice in the 2.5.  One of them is to run
little enough power so you don't push down other signals in the passband by
hitting RX AGC's, AND so you don't add power to the inevitable IMD products
in one's own TX.

Power for PSK does seem to be such a waste, after watching a signal decode
perfectly that I could not hear in the passband noise with my ears.

PSK is kind of like living in an apartment building with thin walls.  For
decorum and peace, need to keep the levels down.

73, Guy.
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM, Ian White GM3SEK <[hidden email]>wrote:

> But PSK's big, unacknowledged 'elephant in the room' will always be the
> habit of receiving in a 2.5kHz bandwidth. Unfortunately this is deeply
> engrained in the PSK culture.

Re: question for psk users

alsopb
Guys,

This rational is bogus.  The PSK users have to get used to decoding one
signal at a time with narrow filters if that's what is necessary. To
expect to have 2 or 3 KHz free of strong signals is crazy.

Dealing with this reality puts the burden on the receiving end.  No way
can you control what the rest of the wold does.  This isn't the Magic
Kingdom.

Given that PSK is a narrow bandwidth mode, why not use that to your
advantage?

Other modes deal with strong adjacent signals, why not PSK?

You bought a K3 for its high dynamic range and high adjacent signal
handling capability.  Why not use it for this purpose?

Of course the argument ignores all the laws of physics and
propagation.    I suggest you run some VOACAP prediction calculations
with 25 watts and look at what you can't work with 25-75 watts.   You
may not be interested in working the other side of the world, but others
are.

PSK isn't magic.

73 de Brian/K3KO

On 5/1/2012 11:46 PM, Jon Perelstein wrote:

> Eric KG6MZS asked why wouldn't you run more than 70w on PSK
>
> Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands, a
> signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the other
> PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.  The rule of
> thumb for being polite on PSK is to operate 25-30w max.  I won't claim that
> there aren't some who are operating more (you Cuban stations know who you
> are), but many/most of us will avoid QSOs with people who are obviously
> running 50w+
>
> 73s
> Jon, WB2RYV

> -----
> No virus found in this message.

Re: question for psk users

KC6CNN
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: question for psk users

John E. Reiser
Oh brother!

> This rational is bogus.  The PSK users have to get used to decoding one
> signal at a time with narrow filters if that's what is necessary. To
> expect to have 2 or 3 KHz free of strong signals is crazy.
>
> Dealing with this reality puts the burden on the receiving end.  No way
> can you control what the rest of the wold does.  This isn't the Magic
> Kingdom.
>
> Given that PSK is a narrow bandwidth mode, why not use that to your
> advantage?
>
> Other modes deal with strong adjacent signals, why not PSK?
>
> You bought a K3 for its high dynamic range and high adjacent signal
> handling capability.  Why not use it for this purpose?
>
> Of course the argument ignores all the laws of physics and
> propagation.    I suggest you run some VOACAP prediction calculations
> with 25 watts and look at what you can't work with 25-75 watts.   You
> may not be interested in working the other side of the world, but others
> are.
>
> PSK isn't magic.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> On 5/1/2012 11:46 PM, Jon Perelstein wrote:
>> Eric KG6MZS asked why wouldn't you run more than 70w on PSK
>>
>> Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands,
>> signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the
>> other
>> PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.  The rule
>> of
>> thumb for being polite on PSK is to operate 25-30w max.  I won't claim
>> that
>> there aren't some who are operating more (you Cuban stations know who you
>> are), but many/most of us will avoid QSOs with people who are obviously
>> running 50w+
>>
>> 73s
>> Jon, WB2RYV
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.

Re: question for psk users

Joel Black-2
On May 2, 2012, at 7:16, Gerald Manthey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I find that once I set the my ALC right,

Exactly...

73,
Joel - W4JBB

Re: question for psk users

Joe Subich, W4TV-4

On 5/2/2012 4:05 AM, Ian White GM3SEK wrote:
> But PSK's big, unacknowledged 'elephant in the room' will always be
> the habit of receiving in a 2.5kHz bandwidth. Unfortunately this is
> deeply engrained in the PSK culture.

That is a side effect of the "click on the waterfall" mentality driven
by software design.  One is seeing the same attitudes creeping into
operation on other digital modes modes including AFSK.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

Re: question for psk users

GP Morin
Agree w/"Oh brother". Guess the panadapter should go also (for those other modes)...

Gpm

(sent from iPod Touch - please excuse typos)

On May 2, 2012, at 5:23, "John E. Reiser" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh brother!

Re: question for psk users

MontyS
Hey Briana,

To extend your philosophy, why not do away with the official sub-bands, too?  Work CW everywhere, SSB everywhere, Am and FM everywhere?  When one knows where to look for the typo of mode you want to work, life is easier.  Having to scour the whole band for PSK signals makes no sense to me - or RTTY, or packet, or CW.

Monty K2DLJ

On May 2, 2012, at 7:45 AM, briana wrote:

> Guys,
>
> This rational is bogus.  The PSK users have to get used to decoding one
> signal at a time with narrow filters if that's what is necessary. To
> expect to have 2 or 3 KHz free of strong signals is crazy.
>
> Dealing with this reality puts the burden on the receiving end.  No way
> can you control what the rest of the wold does.  This isn't the Magic
> Kingdom.
>
> Given that PSK is a narrow bandwidth mode, why not use that to your
> advantage?
>
> Other modes deal with strong adjacent signals, why not PSK?
>
> You bought a K3 for its high dynamic range and high adjacent signal
> handling capability.  Why not use it for this purpose?
>
> Of course the argument ignores all the laws of physics and
> propagation.    I suggest you run some VOACAP prediction calculations
> with 25 watts and look at what you can't work with 25-75 watts.   You
> may not be interested in working the other side of the world, but others
> are.
>
> PSK isn't magic.
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO
>

> On 5/1/2012 11:46 PM, Jon Perelstein wrote:
>> Eric KG6MZS asked why wouldn't you run more than 70w on PSK
>>
>> Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands, a
>> signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the other
>> PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.  The rule of
>> thumb for being polite on PSK is to operate 25-30w max.  I won't claim that
>> there aren't some who are operating more (you Cuban stations know who you
>> are), but many/most of us will avoid QSOs with people who are obviously
>> running 50w+
>>
>> 73s
>> Jon, WB2RYV
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> -----
>> No virus found in this message.

Re: question for psk users

ve3dvy
You are assuming that everyone has the luxury of narrow roofing
filters and can filter out the week and reject unwanted strong
signals.  most PSK stations are not blessed with a K3 and are not able
to suppress strong signals. before I had a K3 2.4 was the narrowes I
could do.   most afordable rigs today still stop at 3khz (FT950) and
some even wider.  You should use as little power as possible to
conduct your QSO.   where I come from that is the law.   using high
power to conduct a PSK31 qso is rarely necessary.  most other PSK
users are running less than 30 W and if you can hear them you probably
don't need 100+ watts to talk back.    I agree that it is needed in
some cases but one should only shout when you need to and talk normal
or even whisper if you can.

David Moes
VE3DVY

On Wednesday 02/05/2012 at 4:07 am, Ian White GM3SEK  wrote:

> The reason why a strong signal will "annihilate all the other PSK
> signals" is that most users are trying to receive an entire 2.5kHz
> bandwidth in one gulp. This means that even one strong signal within
> that bandwidth will activate the AGC and drive all the other signals
> down.
>
> Regrettably most PSK users don't understand what is happening, so they
> have to rationalize it into simpler terms like "It's a crime to be
> loud."

Re: question for psk users

K7TV
Brian,

You are right! Now people will say, "look I worked this dx with 25 watts, so
that is all you need".
That translates to "you should only work the parts of the world to which the
band is really, really open. Let the band tell you whom you should work".
That is a mindset that can be fine for someone with a lot of empty space in
their dxcc list, but amateur radio in general does not expect you to have a
particular mindset like that. It may fit well for many newer hams that are
also oriented toward digital modes because they are young and prefer
relatively modern technologies. If they are expecting in the long run to
just pick off a few more countries when conditions dictate, and eventually
catch up with those who use the power needed to get the desired
communication now, they might face negative surprises though. A few years
ago QEX had a very technical article that examined various digital modes in
the presence of simulated noise and propagation distortions. A simplified
summary: Some kinds of signal distortions that are common with polar
propagation are extremely detrimental to psk-31. Although psk is reputed to
require much less power than other modes such as RTTY, under those polar
propagation conditions RTTY proved vastly more successful for the same power
level. It seems to me that RTTY is now much more popular than it was years
ago. Could it be that people have found out that the fabulous psk dx results
often cited (and which I too have experienced) do not reflect a general
ability to work all dx locations? Let me add a subjective observation
(opportunity for debate!): After having had only a few home qth's, it seems
to me that a given qth (large area, not street address) favors propagation
to certain other areas. Being near the west coast, I am not at all surprised
at seeing good propagation to JA and NZ, with bounces on salt water. A
little more surprising is the fact that propagation to Washington State
seems to be favored from my Phoenix area. (I am using a beam, so fixed
antenna lobes is not the answer.) Anyway, my point is this: If everyone has
favored propagation paths, for one reason or another, one can either focus
on the easy directions, or use more power. Surely that applies to psk like
any other mode.

73,
Erik K7TV

Re: question for psk users

Jim Dunstan
At 07:45 AM 5/2/2012 -0400, you wrote:

Hi,

Brian is right.  Just as you should drive according to conditions you
should operate according to conditions.  Under certain propagation
conditions all signals are received within a narrow signal strength
range.  Under these conditions it possible to set the receiver to operate
with a wide 3 khz BW and click and read many PSK signals at the same time
with the ability to pounce when a QSO ends.  These conditions are not due
to all the stations operating at 20W ERP ....  and almost any receiver
works well under these ideal PSK conditions.  However more often than not
there is a large signal strength range which doesn't allow operation with a
3 khz BW ... and the difference in station signal strength at the receiver
is most often due to differences in propagation rather than the power the
station is running.  Under these conditions the operator needs a better
receiver and an operating practice that is more 'nimble' hi hi.  As Brian
put it you can't change propagation nor can you control the power the other
operator is using or the direction he points his directional antenna hi
hi.  If you want to check the PSK band during a time with both strong and
weak signals you need to be able to move and adjust your bandwidth like a
maestro !!  A pan adapter is a great tool under these conditions.

Of course one could simply stay narrow and call CQ ... but it is more fun
to use the dodge and pounce technique hihi

Jim, VE3CI

>Guys,
>
>This rational is bogus.  The PSK users have to get used to decoding one
>signal at a time with narrow filters if that's what is necessary. To
>expect to have 2 or 3 KHz free of strong signals is crazy.
>
>Dealing with this reality puts the burden on the receiving end.  No way
>can you control what the rest of the wold does.  This isn't the Magic
>Kingdom.
>
>Given that PSK is a narrow bandwidth mode, why not use that to your
>advantage?
>
>Other modes deal with strong adjacent signals, why not PSK?
>
>You bought a K3 for its high dynamic range and high adjacent signal
>handling capability.  Why not use it for this purpose?
>
>Of course the argument ignores all the laws of physics and
>propagation.    I suggest you run some VOACAP prediction calculations
>with 25 watts and look at what you can't work with 25-75 watts.   You
>may not be interested in working the other side of the world, but others
>are.
>
>PSK isn't magic.
>
>73 de Brian/K3KO
>

>On 5/1/2012 11:46 PM, Jon Perelstein wrote:
> > Eric KG6MZS asked why wouldn't you run more than 70w on PSK
> >
> > Because with the close spacing of signals in the various PSK  sub-bands, a
> > signal of more than about 50watts will completely annihilate all the other
> > PSK signals and make that sub-band unusable for everyone else.  The rule of
> > thumb for being polite on PSK is to operate 25-30w max.  I won't claim that
> > there aren't some who are operating more (you Cuban stations know who you
> > are), but many/most of us will avoid QSOs with people who are obviously
> > running 50w+
> >
> > 73s
> > Jon, WB2RYV

Re: question for psk users

David Herring-3

Further to this, on the RX side of the equation if you vary your RF gain, you can sometimes see PSK traces "pop" out of the noise on your waterfall that you might not have noticed there before.  I worked a station last week where I thought there might have been a signal in the noise on my waterfall but wasn't sure, parked my pointer on it and did manage to get bits and pieces of text, but when I adjusted the RF gain down, the noise dropped away exposing his signal more clearly and I was then able to actually work that guy.

We were both running about 25-30 watts, he was around 7700 miles away and I have a compromise antenna.

The notion of adjusting the RF gain down has been discussed on here before in the context of SSB and CW, but I bring it up again for those who may not have thought to try it with PSK.

Now, regarding power, there were other signals near his on my waterfall (even within the confines of my narrowest filter (400)), but none were strong enough to reduce my receiver's sensitivity.  Were there someone there running a dirty signal or a lot of power, this QSO would never have happened.

73 & Aloha
Dave, AH6TD

On May 2, 2012, at 2:50 AM, Joel Black wrote:

> On May 2, 2012, at 7:16, Gerald Manthey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I find that once I set the my ALC right,
>
> Exactly...
>
> 73,
> Joel - W4JBB

Re: question for psk users

KD8NNU
I have macros built in HRD that allows me to quickly center a PSK RX and
then I pop to mhy 200 hz filter to work them when every the adjacent
signals are messing with my decode.  I constantly change between many
filter choices as necessary via macros in the software.

I bought the 200 hz filter last year at Dayton after Wayne spent a few
minutes of time with me explaining how to use the filters better to my
advangate.

Now I don't care what the other guys do because the K3 just does what it
does best.

~73
Don
KD8NNU