Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

Richard Merhar
Hello all-
I think the K2 looks like great rig. But, how quick is QSK? Can you hear the receiver between dits on the cw transmit when using QSK? I like the fast response of my TS-850 and would hope the K2 would  be able to perform at least as well as the TS-850 (now sold as seed money for the K2)
Your opinions are appreciated.
Tnx
Rich WE8T

Re: Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

Tim Logan
Rich -
QSK just as good or better than Ten Tec. K2 is a cw ops dream.
73/Tim NZ7C

Re: Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

Vic K2VCO
Richard Merhar wrote:

> Hello all- I think the K2 looks like great rig. But, how quick is QSK? Can
> you hear the receiver between dits on the cw transmit when using QSK? I like
> the fast response of my TS-850 and would hope the K2 would  be able to
> perform at least as well as the TS-850 (now sold as seed money for the K2)
> Your opinions are appreciated.

The QSK is not as fast as the TS-850 (I have both).  It will break between dits
up to about 24 wpm (this varies depending on various mods that you can make).

I've found that the TS850 QSK is less comfortable to use under crowded band
conditions, such as in contests, because the settling time of the various PLLs
in the 850 is slow enough to give it a clicky sound.  The K2 is always quiet.

I find that in general I prefer the sound of the K2.  But I would like the QSK
to be faster.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco

Re: Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

Tom Hammond-3
Hi Rich:

I wish I could agree with Tim here, but I'm afraid I can't.

Personal opinion of N0SS follows... read it for what little it's worth...!

The QSK in the K2 is decent, but not as good as most TenTecs or even my
venerable old TS-930S.

I can readily copy signals between words up to about 35 WPM, but certainly
not between characters... the TenTecs and my '930 could.

Do I find this to be a problem? Nah... as long and I can hear the other guy
between words (I'm from Missouri and we don't use long words), I'm quite happy.

I DO enjoy using the K2 and in contests and in rag chews, I've not found
the slight QSK latency to be problematic for me.

YMMV.

73,

Tom   N0SS

At 01:58 PM 12/29/04, [hidden email] wrote:

>Rich -
>QSK just as good or better than Ten Tec. K2 is a cw ops dream.
>73/Tim NZ7C

>From: "Richard Merhar" <[hidden email]>
>Date: 2004/12/29 Wed PM 02:52:45 EST
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: [Elecraft] Ready to buy K2/100  - question on CW qsk
>
>Hello all-
>I think the K2 looks like great rig. But, how quick is QSK? Can you hear
>the receiver between dits on the cw transmit when using QSK? I like the
>fast response of my TS-850 and would hope the K2 would  be able to perform
>at least as well as the TS-850 (now sold as seed money for the K2)
>Your opinions are appreciated.
>Tnx
>Rich WE8T

Re: Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

hank  k8dd-2

Richard Merhar wrote:

>Hello all-
>I think the K2 looks like great rig. But, how quick is QSK?

If you consider that QSK means "Can you hear between elements" it's not
QSK above about 20 WPM or so.
Or ....  it's not a Johnson TR switch and separates.  Or .... it's not a
Ten Tec.   But the K2 has enough features to make up for not having QSK.

73    Hank    K8DD

>Can you hear the receiver between dits on the cw transmit when using QSK? I like the fast response of my TS-850 and would hope the K2 would  be able to perform at least as well as the TS-850 (now sold as seed money for the K2)
>Your opinions are appreciated.
>Tnx
>Rich WE8T

Re: Ready to buy K2/100 - question on CW qsk

Fraser Robertson
Richard, the K2 QSK is not fast.  There is a documented mod to speed it up:
reduce the value of R17 (3M3) in the audio muting circuit, typically by
placing a 1M0 in parallel with it.  This gives fast QSK but is not as smooth
- it can be a bit clicky in the headphones on the fastest menu setting.  I'd
be interested to hear if anyone has been able to improve on this, i.e. fast
and smooth QSK on the K2?

73 Fraser G4BJM