Received KX1

K8QI

I just received my KX1 -with 30/80 meter board and Plug-In Keyer Paddles.

I've read all the posts for the KX1 (they were extremely helpful) and reviewed the Builder pages - soldering ect .

I plan on doing the KX1 board first and do the tests at each phase and the alignment.   Install the Keyer Paddles and make a few contacts on 20 and 40 meters.   After I'm sure all is OK on 20 and 40, then I plan to build and install the 30 meter - 80 meter option.   At this point, I am planning on winding my own toroids .....

Do you have any suggestions for a new kit builder?

Thanks -

Barry K8QI

Re: Received KX1

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Received KX1

Phil Hystad-3
Barry,

You will like the KX1 -- it is a fun kit and even better after you get it on the air.  My second QRP contact on the KX1 was 1200 miles so it does indeed work (that was 40 meters).  I also have the 30/80 board but I have not built it or installed it yet.  Unfortunately I have been way too busy but I hope to get to that soon.  I finished the KX1 last August.

I did not wind my own toroids though -- I had the guy (he is listed on Elecraft web site) do it.  I had done two other projects where I wound lots of toroids and I decided I am done with that -- or, at least for awhile.

The only part of the kit building that I thought was a hassle was one of the RF chokes and then a part that had to be laid down on top of another (it did not have its own PCB placement or holes).  This seemed to be a patch of sorts and maybe newer kits have been modified to make that easier.

73, phil, K7PEH