Running Windows on a MAC

EMD

Running Windows on a MAC

EMD
Hello,

Recently I have had the need to run windows on my MAC.  I'm using Parallels to run Windows 7.  I have been told that I do not need Anti Virus software on the windows side since I already use it on the MAC side.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

73, Ed
K3ENV

Re: Running Windows on a MAC

Andrew Siegel
The Mac antivirus is unlikely able to see or deal with malware on the
Windows virtual disk.  So in my opinion, yes, you will need Windows
antivirus as well.

73,
Andy, N2CN

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM, EMD <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Recently I have had the need to run windows on my MAC.  I'm using Parallels
> to run Windows 7.  I have been told that I do not need Anti Virus software
> on the windows side since I already use it on the MAC side.  Does anyone
> have any thoughts on this?
>
> 73, Ed
> K3ENV

Re: Running Windows on a MAC

Scott Manthe-2
Ed,
This is incorrect. Each operating system is victimized by threats
specific to that OS. You'll need a Windows anti-virus/anti-malware
product if you run Windows on your Mac. Also, unless you plan to use
both OSs simultaneously, you don't need to run Parallels. You can boot
directly into Windows on an Intel Mac using Boot Camp.

73,
Scott, N9AA

On 5/22/12 2:23 PM, EMD wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I have had the need to run windows on my MAC.  I'm using Parallels
> to run Windows 7.  I have been told that I do not need Anti Virus software
> on the windows side since I already use it on the MAC side.  Does anyone
> have any thoughts on this?
>
> 73, Ed
> K3ENV

Re: Running Windows on a MAC

David Gilbert

I would heavily discount anything that person told you in the future
because they clearly don't understand how that works.   When you run
Windows on a MAC you are doing it in a separate partition of the hard
drive and the Mac partition doesn't interface with it ... certainly not
to the point of being able to police whatever goes on there.  Whether or
not you need antivirus software on the Windows partition is purely a
function of what you will be doing there.  If it never runs anything
other than trusted software and never talks to the outside world (no
internet access, no incoming files, etc) I doubt you would need it ...
but for that reason, not the one your friend gave you.

73,
Dave   AB7E

On 5/22/2012 11:23 AM, EMD wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Recently I have had the need to run windows on my MAC.  I'm using Parallels
> to run Windows 7.  I have been told that I do not need Anti Virus software
> on the windows side since I already use it on the MAC side.  Does anyone
> have any thoughts on this?
>
> 73, Ed
> K3ENV

Re: Running Windows on a MAC

Stephen G4SJP
That's not exactly true.  Certainly, Windows can be installed on a separate
partition of the hard drive (I do it myself), but Parallels is a virtual
machine installed in the Mac OS and can even be run as a window on the Mac
screen like any other Mac application, resized, minimised, full screen etc.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 22 May 2012 20:33, David Gilbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would heavily discount anything that person told you in the future
> because they clearly don't understand how that works.   When you run
> Windows on a MAC you are doing it in a separate partition of the hard
> drive and the Mac partition doesn't interface with it ... certainly not
> to the point of being able to police whatever goes on there.  Whether or
> not you need antivirus software on the Windows partition is purely a
> function of what you will be doing there.  If it never runs anything
> other than trusted software and never talks to the outside world (no
> internet access, no incoming files, etc) I doubt you would need it ...
> but for that reason, not the one your friend gave you.
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E
>

> On 5/22/2012 11:23 AM, EMD wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Recently I have had the need to run windows on my MAC.  I'm using
> Parallels
> > to run Windows 7.  I have been told that I do not need Anti Virus
> software
> > on the windows side since I already use it on the MAC side.  Does anyone
> > have any thoughts on this?
> >
> > 73, Ed
> > K3ENV

Re: Running Windows on a MAC

David Gilbert

I guess I stand corrected then.  I was thinking more of Boot Camp, which
I've used and I'm pretty sure is always a separate partition.  Even with
Parallels, though, the two OS's don't speak to each other if Parallels
installs as a virtual machine.

Thanks for the correction es 73,
Dave   AB7E

On 5/22/2012 1:06 PM, Stephen Prior wrote:

> That's not exactly true.  Certainly, Windows can be installed on a
> separate partition of the hard drive (I do it myself), but Parallels
> is a virtual machine installed in the Mac OS and can even be run as a
> window on the Mac screen like any other Mac application, resized,
> minimised, full screen etc.
>
> 73 Stephen G4SJP
>
> On 22 May 2012 20:33, David Gilbert <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     I would heavily discount anything that person told you in the future
>     because they clearly don't understand how that works.   When you run
>     Windows on a MAC you are doing it in a separate partition of the hard
>     drive and the Mac partition doesn't interface with it ...
>     certainly not
>     to the point of being able to police whatever goes on there.
>      Whether or
>     not you need antivirus software on the Windows partition is purely a
>     function of what you will be doing there.  If it never runs anything
>     other than trusted software and never talks to the outside world (no
>     internet access, no incoming files, etc) I doubt you would need it ...
>     but for that reason, not the one your friend gave you.
>
>     73,
>     Dave   AB7E
>

>     On 5/22/2012 11:23 AM, EMD wrote:
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > Recently I have had the need to run windows on my MAC.  I'm
>     using Parallels
>     > to run Windows 7.  I have been told that I do not need Anti
>     Virus software
>     > on the windows side since I already use it on the MAC side.
>      Does anyone
>     > have any thoughts on this?
>     >
>     > 73, Ed
>     > K3ENV
>     >
>     Post: mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
>     Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html

Re: Running Windows on a MAC

Jack Brindle-2
I run VirtualBox and WM Ware Fusion on my Mac systems when I need to
use Windows programs. Windows runs quite well on the VMs. It gives me
a huge advantage that I can quickly create a new VM if needed (just
copy an old one - I keep template Windows installations for that). I
also do not run Anti-Virus on the Windows VMs. Why? Because Windows
does not see the internet. I'm a Mac user - I do everything I can
there, especially email and internet access. If I need a Windows file
I download it through the Mac and simply move it over to the Windows
VM. Both VMware and VirtualBox provide very nice facilities for moving
the files and data back and forth. If I were to encounter any
problems, I simply would roll back the VM to a previous snapshot and
keep going. After many years, I have never had to do this due to any
malware. but then I am very careful about things like this.

So, if you are careful you don't need AV on Windows VMs. The key word
is careful.

As for running Mac in a VM, be sure to read the Apple license
agreements, then think again what it is you want to do. Apple allows
very few versions of its OS to run in VMs - mostly just the server
versions. This may be changing with Lion and Mountain Lion, but so far
the answer has been no, don't do that.

Jack B, W6FB