SOS from 5v7v

Franco Prete
Hy boys l'am actually in Africa - TOGO - trying to put on air 5V7V
K3 and also kpa500 where broken during flight.Incredible.

Now kpa500 sign on display 270volt error when switched from stby to oper. then bip bip bip and no more able to switch off.

K3 works only low power - no hy power and when change from low to hi pwr reception decrease of 3/4 of s.meter - on hy power po power out - zero.

Antenna are ready me too but equipment???All radio where working well before start from home and well - very well packaged for flight.

Any idea??

Franco i1fqh also 5v7dx - 5v7v etcc.....

Re: SOS from 5v7v

wayne burdick
Administrator
Franco,

I'm have our customer support team contact you immediately. Both the
K3 and KPA500 routinely survive rough treatment, so I'm really
surprised to hear this. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

  Franco Prete wrote:

> Hy boys l'am actually in Africa - TOGO - trying to put on air 5V7V....

Re: SOS from 5v7v

Vic Rosenthal
Regarding the K3, check that the KPA3 module is seated properly on its connectors. Maybe
it was jarred loose.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA

Re: SOS from 5v7v

W7GJ, Lance
Hello Franco,

GL getting your K3 and KPA500 working!  If you CAN get it going, please think about a
6m sked with me on JT65A during your moonset next week!!!  MNI TNX and VY 73, Lance
--
Lance Collister, W7GJ
(ex WA3GPL, WA1JXN, WA1JXN/C6A, ZF2OC/ZF8, E51SIX, 3D2LR, 5W0GJ)

Interested in 6m EME?  Ask me about subscribing to the Magic Band EME
page (above)!

Re: SOS from 5v7v

KeithWE6R
Franco;
On the K3, remove the fan module and look at where the KPA3 amp plugs
in. We have seen those completely jarred out and it bends the 3
sheet-metal tabs forcing the connectors apart. I so, you will have to
remove the amp and bend those tabs back down.
On the amp, the micro safety switch area could be damaged, or any of the
cables may need to be seated.
Keith

On 2/6/2012 9:13 AM, Franco Prete wrote:

> Hy boys l'am actually in Africa - TOGO - trying to put on air 5V7V
> K3 and also kpa500 where broken during flight.Incredible.
>
> Now kpa500 sign on display 270volt error when switched from stby to oper. then bip bip bip and no more able to switch off.
>
> K3 works only low power - no hy power and when change from low to hi pwr reception decrease of 3/4 of s.meter - on hy power po power out - zero.
>
> Antenna are ready me too but equipment???All radio where working well before start from home and well - very well packaged for flight.
>
> Any idea??
>
> Franco i1fqh also 5v7dx - 5v7v etcc.....

Good news from 5V-land. Soon on air!

Bill W4ZV
"In spite of the limited means available, Franco fixed the amplifier. He found a transformer completely uprooted from its place due to the strong turbolonces during his fly to Togo.

However in the evening Franco intend to be on air firstly on 30 and 40 m. Stay tuned!

Here are some pictures."

http://www.mdxc.org/5v7v/

(de W4ZV:  Repairable products and excellent support are why Elecraft is becoming the de facto standard for DXpeditions.)

73,  Bill

Re: Good news from 5V-land. Soon on air!

W0FK
Bill W4ZV wrote
***

(de W4ZV:  Repairable products and excellent support are why Elecraft is becoming the de facto standard for DXpeditions.)
And a great source for DX tips! Worked Franco on 80 CW tonight.

73,

Lou, W0FK
St. Louis, MO

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that
genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Re: Good news from 5V-land. Soon on air!

Doug Turnbull
Dear OMs;
    It is probably good practice to remove the transformer when shipping a
KPA500 or for that matter most other amplifiers.
              73 Doug EI2CN

> (de W4ZV:  Repairable products and excellent support are why Elecraft is
> becoming the de facto standard for DXpeditions.)

And a great source for DX tips! Worked Franco on 80 CW tonight.

73,

Lou, W0FK

-----
St. Louis, MO
K3 #2513, P3 #620
KX3 *On Order*

Re: Good news from 5V-land. Soon on air!

Gary K9GS
Hi Doug,

It wasn't the big toroid transformer that let loose.  It was one mounted
on a PC Board (Triad part).

See:  http://www.mdxc.org/5v7v/good-news-from-5v-land-soon-on-air/

But you are correct...big heavy transformers in amps don't mix well with
shipping amplifiers.  I have an Alpha amp and the owners manual even
cautions about moving the amp around the shack with the heavy
transformer installed.

On 2/9/2012 4:38 PM, Doug Turnbull wrote:

> Dear OMs;
>      It is probably good practice to remove the transformer when shipping a
> KPA500 or for that matter most other amplifiers.
>                73 Doug EI2CN

Gary K9GS

Check out K9NS on the web:  http://www.k9ns.com
Greater Milwaukee DX Association: http://www.gmdxa.org