Serial cable for my new K3

Roger Marrotte-2
I find that the serial cable I have on hand that I used for my former radio
is female to female.  I see that the K3 requires a male connector.  I've
looked through the archives without much success.  Am I the only one that
finds the archives difficult to use?  I know that I could cut off one end of
my cable and solder on a male connector.  I also see that Radio Shack has a
pre-made cable described as a 6-Ft. DB9 M/F Extension Cable #26-117.  I'm
leaning toward this option because the Radio Shack has nice knobs vs. screws
to attach and detach the cables.  In either case I need to know if the K3
requires a straight through cable or a null modem cable where the transmit
and receive lines are reversed.  I looked for this info in the K3 manual and
couldn't find it.  I'm assuming the Radio Shack "Extension" cable is
straight through.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

By the way.  The K3 is serial #1192.  It was ordered Feb. 19.  Katiegram
received June 29.  K3 received July 10.  It took UPS 8 days to deliver it!
It's a K3/100 with 2.8, 1.8, 400 and 250 filters, KAT3, KXV3, KBPF3 and
KTCXO3.  The only backordered item is the AM filter.  It went together in
about 11 hours including the 100w amp.  No missing parts.  All worked the
first time.  Now to learn the new radio.

Roger, W1EM

Re: Serial cable for my new K3

Don Wilhelm-4
Roger,

Use the straight through cable.  For your future reference, that is the
information that can be found in the K3 manual on page 18 in the
description of the KIO3 module.

Only 3 wires are required in the cable TXD, RXD and Signal Ground (pins
2, 3, and 5) for communication with the K3.  DTR and RTS are also
available for PTT and KEYING from the computer serial port, so if you
plan to use those in the future, buying the serial M/F cable would be a
good choice.

Roger Marrotte wrote:

> I find that the serial cable I have on hand that I used for my former radio
> is female to female.  I see that the K3 requires a male connector.  I've
> looked through the archives without much success.  Am I the only one that
> finds the archives difficult to use?  I know that I could cut off one end of
> my cable and solder on a male connector.  I also see that Radio Shack has a
> pre-made cable described as a 6-Ft. DB9 M/F Extension Cable #26-117.  I'm
> leaning toward this option because the Radio Shack has nice knobs vs. screws
> to attach and detach the cables.  In either case I need to know if the K3
> requires a straight through cable or a null modem cable where the transmit
> and receive lines are reversed.  I looked for this info in the K3 manual and
> couldn't find it.  I'm assuming the Radio Shack "Extension" cable is
> straight through.

Re: Serial cable for my new K3

Jim Brown-10
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:02:31 -0400, Roger Marrotte wrote:

>I find that the serial cable

DB9 connectors can be bought from vendors like Newark and Allied.
Garden variety CAT5/6/7 cable makes GREAT serial cable. Don't buy
cheap connectors -- the plastic melts when you try to solder them.
Shielded cable is NOT important, twisted pair IS. For wiring
instructions, see

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

and Chapter 8 of   http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

73,

Jim Brown K9YC

Re: Serial cable for my new K3

Dick Dievendorff
Norm:  I use a straight-thru 9-pin male-to-female 9-pin connector (commonly known as DB-9) with screw connectors on each end.  There's a picture of the cable in the K3 Utility Help and a description of it. You can install the K3 Utility from the Elecraft web site (follow the K3 software links) even before you own a K3.

You should not use a "null modem" or "crossover" cable.

While firmware loading only requires the "bare minimum" 3 wires (TxD, RxD and signal ground), you may find a couple of other lines useful during "normal" use for PTT and CW Keying.  Just go with a straight-thru 9 pin connector, where pin 1 is wired to pin 1, pin 2 to 2, etc.  This is one of the more common serial cables.

73 de Dick,K6KR

From: "Norm Duxbury" <[hidden email]>

> Roger Marrotte wrote:
>
> I know that I could cut off one end of
> my cable and solder on a male connector. I also see that Radio Shack has a
> pre-made cable described as a 6-Ft. DB9 M/F Extension Cable #26-117. I'm
> leaning toward this option because the Radio Shack has nice knobs vs. screws
> to attach and detach the cables. In either case I need to know if the K3
> requires a straight through cable or a null modem cable where the transmit
> and receive lines are reversed. I looked for this info in the K3 manual and
> couldn't find it. I'm assuming the Radio Shack "Extension" cable is
> straight through.
>
> Any and all help would be appreciated.
> Roger:Radio Shack makes a "gender changer," consisting of back-to-back 9-pin
> males. This can be used easily, without cutting cables, to solve your
> problem.73, Norm - W1MO

Re: Serial cable for my new K3

Paul-285

>In either case I need to know if the K3