Shortened figures

RM-14
For the first time I recently heard - in a major contest - CW stations
sending ENN instead of 599. It takes a while to get used to!!
Rick, OZ5RM

Re: Shortened figures

David A. Belsley
Why even send as much as ENN.  Why not just send N?  You can get used
to that just as quickly.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy

On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:16 AM, R. Meilstrup wrote:

> For the first time I recently heard - in a major contest - CW stations
> sending ENN instead of 599. It takes a while to get used to!!
> Rick, OZ5RM

Re: Shortened figures

crmabbott
If a contest is going to use the 'cut' system it probably would not hurt to document that on the web page, QST or where ever they advertise it.  That would help out the folks not familiar with the procedure to recognise what they are hearing.

The problem I have with only 'N' is which does it apply to and the first ones range is 1 to 5 not 1 to 9.  The remaining two are 1 to 9, the ENN is about as short as you can get it and still make sense.

On the otherhand since everyone is always a 599 regardless, why not leave it out completely?  8^)
--
73 Chuck AA8VS

-- William Arthur Ward

> Why even send as much as ENN. Why not just send N? You can get used
> to that just as quickly.
>
> best wishes,
>
> dave belsley, w1euy
>

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:16 AM, R. Meilstrup wrote:
>
> > For the first time I recently heard - in a major contest - CW stations
> > sending ENN instead of 599. It takes a while to get used to!!
> > Rick, OZ5RM

Re: Shortened figures

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy-2
Why bother with any RST figures in contests or typical DX  pileup exchanges
these days?  Sad truth if ............NN is only report.

73,  Geoff      GM4ESD

> Why even send as much as ENN.  Why not just send N?  You can get used
> to that just as quickly.
>
> best wishes,
>
> dave belsley, w1euy
>

> On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:16 AM, R. Meilstrup wrote:
>
> > For the first time I recently heard - in a major contest - CW stations
> > sending ENN instead of 599. It takes a while to get used to!!
> > Rick, OZ5RM

Re: Shortened figures

David A. Belsley
Well, N clearly does not apply to the 5, which is therefore assumed, as
would be the second N, since nothing different was attempted to be
conveyed.  It's clearly a matter of convention, and, as such, can be
anything you want.  You could make the convention that E stands for
599.  Or, you could make the convention that the absence of a report at
all indicates 599.  Since everyone sends 599 no matter what the signal
is really like, it seems to me that the absence of a report is the most
meaningful "exchange," and certainly the easiest to send.  Another way
of looking at it is: if people aren't going to take the trouble to send
a meaningful report, why send anything at all? why even have it as part
of the exchange?

The idea of contests was originally to sharpen one's skills under more
pressured conditions such as emergencies.  I realize that the
testosterone of many contesters is aroused simply by the contest, and
the idea of sharpening emergency skills is the last thing on their mind
-- like many modern hunters who hunt for the love of the chase and the
kill, not for the food.  However, there is no sharpening of skills that
attaches to passing empty information that needn't even really be sent
or received since its content is assumed rather than really
communicated.  I've seen contest logs where the operator has, during an
idle moment, simply run ahead and filled in the 599s in the entries for
as-yet-to-be-had qsos.

best wishes,

dave belsley, w1euy

On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> If a contest is going to use the 'cut' system it probably would not
> hurt to document that on the web page, QST or where ever they
> advertise it.  That would help out the folks not familiar with the
> procedure to recognise what they are hearing.
>
> The problem I have with only 'N' is which does it apply to and the
> first ones range is 1 to 5 not 1 to 9.  The remaining two are 1 to 9,
> the ENN is about as short as you can get it and still make sense.
>
> On the otherhand since everyone is always a 599 regardless, why not
> leave it out completely?  8^)
> --
> 73 Chuck AA8VS
>
> -- William Arthur Ward

> > Why even send as much as ENN. Why not just send N? You can get used
>  > to that just as quickly.
>  >
> > best wishes,
>  >
> > dave belsley, w1euy
>  >
> >

> > On Dec 6, 2004, at 11:16 AM, R. Meilstrup wrote:
>  >
> > > For the first time I recently heard - in a major contest - CW
> stations
>  > > sending ENN instead of 599. It takes a while to get used to!!
>  > > Rick, OZ5RM
>  > >
>  > > _______________________________________________
>  > > Elecraft mailing list
>  > > Post to: [hidden email]
>  > > You must be a subscriber to post to the list.
>  > > Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, sub, unsub etc.):
>  > > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>  > > Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com
>  > >
>  >
>  > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>  > Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Shortened figures

N2EY
In a message dated 12/6/04 12:21:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

> Why bother with any RST figures in contests or typical DX  pileup exchanges
> these days?

That's one reason I like the ARRL SS. No signal report! Instead, you have to
exchange five pieces of info:

- QSO serial number
- Entry class
- Callsign