Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

ik1bxn
Hello

I have my KPA500 placed over the KAT500 (probably like many other users) and I'm using the Elecraft DB15/DB15 original cable (the first model about 1 cm diameter, I heard the new cable model has less diameter and is more flexible but the length is the same).
It happens I have a mess behind KPA caused by the unused cable length.

I ask if it is available or from Elecraft (better) or from any other dealer a shorter cable (I think 1 ft length) I could use to safely connect KAT with KPA.

Many thanks, best 73

Giorgio - IK1BXN

Re: Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

Chuck - AE4CW
If I recall correctly (traveling to Orlando), I use the "Y" cable provided by Elecraft to connect the KAT500 and the KPA500 which are stacked.  One connector of the "Y" remains unconnected.  I can provide more detail on Sunday if needed.
---
Chuck, AE4CW
---
Chuck, AE4CW

Re: Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

Bob-270
Hi Chuck,

                 Shorter cables are available. I use a 1 ft one.  I don't recall
where I got it but possibly L-Com as I buy from them quite often.

                 You don't need the "Y" but potential uses within the Elecraft
line are with the KRC, XV's and the PR's.  Band data from the AUX cable can be
used with other equipment too.  You can even need multiple "Y's", I did.

                  Hint to the Elecraft folks,  A breakout box would be a nice
accessory!

73,
Bob
K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR

On 2/7/2014 10:47 AM, Chuck - AE4CW wrote:

> If I recall correctly (traveling to Orlando), I use the "Y" cable provided by
> Elecraft to connect the KAT500 and the KPA500 which are stacked.  One
> connector of the "Y" remains unconnected.  I can provide more detail on
> Sunday if needed.
> ---
> Chuck, AE4CW
>

> -----
> ---
> Chuck, AE4CW

Re: Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

Phil Hystad-3
>                 Hint to the Elecraft folks,  A breakout box would be a nice accessory!

Actually, I am thinking along the same lines (maybe) but I am primarily motivated by having fun during retirement and not necessarily a practical device.

I have been playing with Raspberry Pi and I am very impressed with this "computer".  I have yet to try something that it did not support directly or via downloading some SDK or install package.  If you do not know about Raspberry Pi, it is a single board computer running Linux (see note below) where the board is about the size of a credit card.  I use the Model B which has 512 MB of memory and 10/100 Ethernet.  Storage and boot device is SDc and I use a 16 GB SD card but you can choose other sizes.

The idea is to have one of the USB ports on the Raspi connected to a USB hub and then plug the various serial to USB cables of the Elecraft rigs to this hub.  Actually, this part of the configuration is something I have done already but the hub is on my Mac rather than the Raspi card.

Currently my next part of this work is to test the serial I/O to these devices and I am not sure how much of a problem this might be given that driver support may not exist.  Writing my own custom serial drivers (if necessary) is not out of the question.  Then, this Raspi computer itself could be the host for whatever application I want to do or maybe I would do that on my Mac and interface via Ethernet or even Wireless (WiFi).

I would not try to replace the functionality of the various Elecraft utility programs; rather, I am more interesting in developing apps or even maybe scripts that use the programming interface.

Of course, the whole point is just for fun as there is nothing about this idea that is not already supported by the Elecraft utilities.

But, if elecraft were to create some kind of breakout box as the suggested offered below, then I think a "Smart" breakout box maybe with a Raspberry Pi in it would be cool.

73, phil, K7PEH

P.S. Note:  Raspberry Pi supports a variety of Linux systems (distros) but there is a whole raft of new operating system work being done with other operating systems such as Plan 9 from Bell Labs.  Wikipedia has an article on the port work being done -- just google Raspberry Pi.

On Feb 7, 2014, at 9:00 AM, Bob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
>                Shorter cables are available. I use a 1 ft one.  I don't recall where I got it but possibly L-Com as I buy from them quite often.
>
>                You don't need the "Y" but potential uses within the Elecraft line are with the KRC, XV's and the PR's.  Band data from the AUX cable can be used with other equipment too.  You can even need multiple "Y's", I did.
>
>                 Hint to the Elecraft folks,  A breakout box would be a nice accessory!
>
> 73,
> Bob
> K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR
>

> On 2/7/2014 10:47 AM, Chuck - AE4CW wrote:
>> If I recall correctly (traveling to Orlando), I use the "Y" cable provided by
>> Elecraft to connect the KAT500 and the KPA500 which are stacked.  One
>> connector of the "Y" remains unconnected.  I can provide more detail on
>> Sunday if needed.
>> ---
>> Chuck, AE4CW
>>

>> -----
>> ---
>> Chuck, AE4CW

Re: Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

Gary Gregory-2
Yes on the breakout box. I don't have a need right now but I would grab one
anyway for that "just in case" scenario....grin
On 05/02/2014 2:01 AM, "ik1bxn" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have my KPA500 placed over the KAT500 (probably like many other users)
> and
> I'm using the Elecraft DB15/DB15 original cable (the first model about 1 cm
> diameter, I heard the new cable model has less diameter and is more
> flexible
> but the length is the same).
> It happens I have a mess behind KPA caused by the unused cable length.
>
> I ask if it is available or from Elecraft (better) or from any other dealer
> a shorter cable (I think 1 ft length) I could use to safely connect KAT
> with
> KPA.
>
> Many thanks, best 73
>
> Giorgio - IK1BXN

Re: Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

Phil Salas
Here are some cable sources that have all 15 pins connected thru:

Cable Wholesale  1-ft HD15 M/F 10H1-20201NF, 3-ft 10H1-20203NF, 10-ft HD15 M/F 10H1-20210

www.l-com.com  3ft HD15 M/F CGSVGAMF-3, 5ft HD15 M/F CGSVGAMF-5, and 10ft HD15 M/F CGSVGAMF-10

Phil – AD5X

Re: Shorter DB15/DB15 cable from KAT to KPA

Jim Bennett
Yep, I can attest to this site being legit. I bought two cables from them and have been working fine on my K3/KPA500/KAT500 station.

Jim / W6JHB