Slow Web Site

g4ilo-2
I'm afraid qsl.net has become a dead loss. I shall probably close my own
qsl.net site, as it's a waste of time at the moment. It's entirely the
fault of hams themselves, who will spend thousands of bucks on equipment
but expect everything on the internet to be free. I coughed up a donation
when asked to a couple of months back, but according to an email Al (the
owner of qsl.net) sent out, the vast majority didn't, despite the fact that
they could even win a transceiver. Decent servers and connectivity don't
grow on trees, they cost money. But nobody wants to pay for them, it seems.

Rant over.

Julian, G4ILO. (RSGB, ARRL, G-QRP, K2 #392)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.qsl.net/g4ilo

"Michael Harris" <[hidden email]> wrote:

G'day,

I've been trying to download the construction manual for the EA3BLQ K2
digital interface.  The site:

http://www.qsl.net/ea3blq/download_ang.htm

Is pathetically slow, <1000 bytes/sec and for a 2.4Mbyte download that is
not an option.  Anyone know another source?

Regards,

Mike VP8NO

RE: Slow Web Site

Robert McGwier
Good luck.  I have tried for A YEAR to get Waller just to give me
my password so I could delete the horrid page I have desperately
tried to get access to.  It worked for a week, but not until I
sent a donation.  I have been unable to access since.  There is
just a huge volume of stuff housed on qsl.net.  It is a real shame
to see it dying a painful death.

Bob
N4HY

RE: Slow Web Site

Thom LaCosta
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Robert McGwier wrote:

> Good luck.  I have tried for A YEAR to get Waller just to give me
> my password so I could delete the horrid page I have desperately
> tried to get access to.  It worked for a week, but not until I
> sent a donation.  I have been unable to access since.  There is
> just a huge volume of stuff housed on qsl.net.  It is a real shame
> to see it dying a painful death.

I think that part of the problem is the word "free"....many folks have
their pages/lists at free providers due to cost.  Sooner or later,
the free stops being free, or there are solicitations for funds, and
if neither happens, the service either diminishes or disappears.

It's not just web providers....all one has to do is listen to National
Public Radio(free) and see how much more commercial it is now than it was years
ago.

I think we need to realize that it does cost money to offer free services...and
the qualaity of those services may be less than those for which we pay for
service..

73
Thom,
k3hrn

http://www.baltimorehon.com/            Home of the Baltimore Lexicon
http://www.tlchost.net/              Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month

RE: Slow Web Site

Robert McGwier

Ask and you will receive.  My guess is Al or one of his friends reads the
Elecraft reflector.  Today, my web page is gone at long last.  K2 MOJO
reaches the unreachable again.

Bob
N4HY