Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Carl Clawson
It's just too easy to miss the little blinking TX annunciator if you've left
your K3 in test mode. How about once in a while doing something more
dramatic like scrolling TX TEST across the VFO A display, or flashing the
display, or making the SWR and power meter displays flicker in some
obnoxious way, or ...

The challenge is to think of something that doesn't impair any useful aspect
of test mode.

73 & thanks for listening,
Carl WS7L

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Brett Howard
HAHA...  At FD one of the operators said... "Man I really love the way
the receiver sounds but NOBODY will come back to me".  On his next
transmission I noticed that there was no RF showing up on the bar graph.
Then I noticed the flashing TX...  I mentioned to him that he was in
test mode.  Poof one button press and miraculously he was getting call
backs! :)

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 22:43 -0700, Carl Clawson wrote:

> It's just too easy to miss the little blinking TX annunciator if you've left
> your K3 in test mode. How about once in a while doing something more
> dramatic like scrolling TX TEST across the VFO A display, or flashing the
> display, or making the SWR and power meter displays flicker in some
> obnoxious way, or ...
>
> The challenge is to think of something that doesn't impair any useful aspect
> of test mode.
>
> 73 & thanks for listening,
> Carl WS7L

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

gm3sek
Brett Howard wrote:

>On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 22:43 -0700, Carl Clawson wrote:
>> It's just too easy to miss the little blinking TX annunciator if you've left
>> your K3 in test mode. How about once in a while doing something more
>> dramatic like scrolling TX TEST across the VFO A display, or flashing the
>> display, or making the SWR and power meter displays flicker in some
>> obnoxious way, or ...
>>
>> The challenge is to think of something that doesn't impair any useful aspect
>> of test mode.
>>
>HAHA...  At FD one of the operators said... "Man I really love the way
>the receiver sounds but NOBODY will come back to me".  On his next
>transmission I noticed that there was no RF showing up on the bar
>graph. Then I noticed the flashing TX...  I mentioned to him that he
>was in test mode.

That's very easily done, especially by a new operator who isn't familiar
with the K3's "tap/hold" functions.

One possibility would be to flash the delta-F LED continuously, in sync
with the annunciator (as that LED's normal warning function is not
needed while in test mode).

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Julian, G4ILO
GM3SEK wrote
One possibility would be to flash the delta-F LED continuously, in sync
with the annunciator (as that LED's normal warning function is not
needed while in test mode).
That's not such a bad idea. Trouble is, there are quite a few other "gotchas" that you don't get any obvious warning about, like not having VOX enabled when trying to send CW, or having SPLIT or RIT enabled when you have forgotten about it. Why single out just one "gotcha" for special treatment?

After the first couple of times, you learn to check for things like that. Nobody should expect to be able to operate anything as complex as a K3 flawlessly without first spending some time learning how to drive it.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

GW0ETF
By coincidence I'd posted about this last week ( http://www.nabble.com/forum/ViewPost.jtp?post=18168912&framed=y ) but thought no-one was interested.

Perhaps my signal was hidden by 'Key-down on power up' QRM.....

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF (K3 s/n 145)
G4ILO wrote
GM3SEK wrote
One possibility would be to flash the delta-F LED continuously, in sync
with the annunciator (as that LED's normal warning function is not
needed while in test mode).
That's not such a bad idea. Trouble is, there are quite a few other "gotchas" that you don't get any obvious warning about, like not having VOX enabled when trying to send CW, or having SPLIT or RIT enabled when you have forgotten about it. Why single out just one "gotcha" for special treatment?

After the first couple of times, you learn to check for things like that. Nobody should expect to be able to operate anything as complex as a K3 flawlessly without first spending some time learning how to drive it.

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

drewko
I'm actually a little more worried the TEST mode will be off when it
actually isn't. I like to bang out a few practice lines of code every
now and then just to keep the fist limbered up. It is kind of
embarrassing to open up on the air with a few stanzas from Kubla Khan
or something, thinking the transmitter is disabled...

Rather than a bigger visual indication for TEST, I would rather have
an audible warning. Say, a distinctive chirp every 5 seconds or so.
Perhaps other functions could also benefit from audible
annunciatiors/warning chirps. These would be user selectable, of
course.

Aren't there plans to do this? I thought I read somewhere that audio
chirps and Morse Code legends would be addded for various button
pushes/functions?

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:43:51 -0700, Carl WS7L wrote:

>It's just too easy to miss the little blinking TX annunciator if you've left
>your K3 in test mode. How about once in a while doing something more
>dramatic like scrolling TX TEST across the VFO A display, or flashing the
>display, or making the SWR and power meter displays flicker in some
>obnoxious way, or ...
>
>The challenge is to think of something that doesn't impair any useful aspect
>of test mode.
>
>73 & thanks for listening,
>Carl WS7L

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TESTindicator

Simon (HB9DRV)
I have a nice big SWR meter - CN-801 HP so I can quickly see if there's any
smoke going up the coax. What could be simpler?

Simon Brown, HB9DRV

From: <[hidden email]>

> Rather than a bigger visual indication for TEST, I would rather have
> an audible warning.

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TESTindicator

drewko
An inocuous chirp from the K3 every five seconds would be simpler than
a big CH-801 HP SWR meter, I think. (A chirp would take up far less
desk space as well.)

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:42:01 +0200, Simon Brown, HB9DRV wrote:

>I have a nice big SWR meter - CN-801 HP so I can quickly see if there's any
>smoke going up the coax. What could be simpler?
>
>Simon Brown, HB9DRV

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Julian, G4ILO
drewko1 wrote
An inocuous chirp from the K3 every five seconds would be simpler than
a big CH-801 HP SWR meter, I think. (A chirp would take up far less
desk space as well.)
Why stop at a chirp? Elecraft could make a voice synthesis module, like the ones in car sat-nav equipment. Whenever you key down, a user-selectable voice (Arnie Schwarzenegger? Margaret Thatcher?) could say "Warning. Test mode selected."

Other warnings could save the user from making potentially expensive or simply embarrasing mistakes, like: "Warning: High SWR detected." or "Voice modes not permitted in the CW sub-band." It could even offer helpful pile-up breaking tips if it detects that you have been calling for several minutes on the same frequency.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

RE: Software suggestion: a more prominent TESTindicator

Carl Clawson
Julian does make a good point, and regardless of the rig that you're running
you should always keep an eye on your power and SWR indicators to make sure
you're putting out the signal you expect. At my home station I use an
external meter because the flicking needles grab my attention a little
better than the bar graphs on the display.

The difference with the K3 is that AFAIK the test mode is unique to it.
Every rig I've used had a VOX to control CW transmit enable, so operators
are used to looking for it. The same goes for SPLIT, RIT, etc. The K3 test
mode, however, seems to trip up even experienced K3 operators fairly often.

73, WS7L

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

drewko
Nah, voice warnings are not effective. Most of us spend our days
ignoring the vocal clatter pouring from cellphones, tv's , radios,
etc. (CW ops, anyway...)

What is needed is a switched relay on the K3 that would set off a
large fire alarm type bell. And maybe an electric jolt to the chair
seat for out-of-band operation...

Seriously, for people who don't see too well a couple of optional
audible annunciators might be useful.

So tell me, why would a periodic warning chirp be any more silly than
a little "TX" icon flashing at 1/2-second intervals?

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT), Julian, G4ILO wrote:

>drewko1 wrote:
>>
>> An inocuous chirp from the K3 every five seconds would be simpler than
>> a big CH-801 HP SWR meter, I think. (A chirp would take up far less
>> desk space as well.)
>>
>Why stop at a chirp? Elecraft could make a voice synthesis module, like the
>ones in car sat-nav equipment. Whenever you key down, a user-selectable
>voice (Arnie Schwarzenegger? Margaret Thatcher?) could say "Warning. Test
>mode selected."
>
>Other warnings could save the user from making potentially expensive or
>simply embarrasing mistakes, like: "Warning: High SWR detected." or "Voice
>modes not permitted in the CW sub-band." It could even offer helpful pile-up
>breaking tips if it detects that you have been calling for several minutes
>on the same frequency.
>
>-----
>Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
>G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
>KComm for K2/K3: www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

drewko
On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 07:56:53 -0700 (PDT), Julian, G4ILO wrote:

>Why stop at a chirp? Elecraft could make a voice synthesis module, like the
>ones in car sat-nav equipment. Whenever you key down, a user-selectable
>voice (Arnie Schwarzenegger? Margaret Thatcher?) could say "Warning. Test
>mode selected."

BTW, to answer my own question a couple of posts back... It is the
SWTONE entry in the config menu (not yet implemented) which will allow
Morse Code feedback or audio tone on any control activation...
Looking forward to that. I assume it is imminent if it is listed on
the config menu (or at least definite).

73,
Drew
AF2Z

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Brett Howard
Morse code legends are cool.  I always kinda dug that the kenwood would
beep the first char of the mode that you just set things to.  Now that
I'm starting to learn code a little better I start to like them more and
more.  I'd put them at VERY low priority but do have to admit they're
more of a coolness factor than much of anything else.

Some of the warnings could benefit from audible nuggets.  Such as the
High RFI, High SWR, High Current, Batt Low.  You know the ones that are
warning you to stop your foolishness before you break things.

~Brett (KC7OTG)

On Tue, 2008-07-01 at 07:35 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm actually a little more worried the TEST mode will be off when it
> actually isn't. I like to bang out a few practice lines of code every
> now and then just to keep the fist limbered up. It is kind of
> embarrassing to open up on the air with a few stanzas from Kubla Khan
> or something, thinking the transmitter is disabled...
>
> Rather than a bigger visual indication for TEST, I would rather have
> an audible warning. Say, a distinctive chirp every 5 seconds or so.
> Perhaps other functions could also benefit from audible
> annunciatiors/warning chirps. These would be user selectable, of
> course.
>
> Aren't there plans to do this? I thought I read somewhere that audio
> chirps and Morse Code legends would be addded for various button
> pushes/functions?
>
> 73,
> Drew
> AF2Z

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

drewko
Morse code legends for button pushes would probably be very useful to
those who have vision problems (I don't).

But ergonomics counts for an awful lot, too. Especially during long
sessions at the rig. Being able to access functions without
consciously searching for the buttons and then having to shift focus
to the display to see what state those buttons are in... this
admittedly tiny effort does add up over time. So, I'd place
audible/Morse feedback somehat above coolness factor, if not exactly
top priority.

Also, compared to the K2, the K3 buttons don't have the same
satisfactory tactile snap. Even a simple short tone upon button push
would add a lot to the operating experience I believe. I'm looking
forward to this feature but no, it isn't a top priority.

73,
Drew
AF2Z

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 20:55:05 -0700, Brett (KC7OTG) wrote:

>Morse code legends are cool.  I always kinda dug that the kenwood would
>beep the first char of the mode that you just set things to.  Now that
>I'm starting to learn code a little better I start to like them more and
>more.  I'd put them at VERY low priority but do have to admit they're
>more of a coolness factor than much of anything else.
>
>Some of the warnings could benefit from audible nuggets.  Such as the
>High RFI, High SWR, High Current, Batt Low.  You know the ones that are
>warning you to stop your foolishness before you break things.
>
>~Brett (KC7OTG)

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TEST indicator

Deni F5VJC
Exactly, the ergonomics of the K3 have been well thought out.

Just RTFM!

G4ILO wrote:

> After the first couple of times, you learn to check for things like that.
> Nobody should expect to be able to operate anything as complex as a K3
> flawlessly without first spending some time learning how to drive it.
>
> -----
> Julian, G4ILO  K3 s/n: 222 K2 s/n: 392
> G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com
> KComm for K2/K3: www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html

Re: Software suggestion: a more prominent TESTindicator

Paul-285

>I have a nice big SWR meter - CN-801 HP so I can quickly see if
>there's any smoke going up the coax. What could be simpler?
>
>Simon Brown, HB9DRV

I have the same meter, always in line.  No problems with Test mode here.

Paul
N4LCD