Spotting DX

Paul-30
I've only had my K3 on the air for a couple days...trying to figure out all the bells and whistles.

Here's my problem:

K4M (Midway DXpedition) is transmitting on let's say, 7.004 listening up 25.

So I go SPLIT, tune VFO B up to about 7.020. Now I want to spot the guy he's working and transmit there right afterward.
I'm looking for the guy, I hit REV and listen. I don't hear him, so I want to tune up or down and find him. But when I turn VFO A's knob (which is showing my Xmit frequency, the VFO B display (K4M's run freq) also changes, so when I drop REV I'm no longer on his 7.004 frequency.

How are you supposed to do this? Is there an option that ties them together somewhere? LOCK is off.

I used the SUB receiver, and then I can listen to my xmit freq in one ear, but that doesn't seem necessary.

Paul
WY7I

Re: Spotting DX

Paul-30
Yes, that's IT !

Thanks!
> I've only had my K3 on the air for a couple days...trying to figure out
> all the bells and whistles.
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> K4M (Midway DXpedition) is transmitting on let's say, 7.004 listening up
> 25.
>
> So I go SPLIT, tune VFO B up to about 7.020. Now I want to spot the guy
> he's working and transmit there right afterward.
> I'm looking for the guy, I hit REV and listen. I don't hear him, so I want
> to tune up or down and find him. But when I turn VFO A's knob (which is
> showing my Xmit frequency, the VFO B display (K4M's run freq) also
> changes, so when I drop REV I'm no longer on his 7.004 frequency.
>
> How are you supposed to do this? Is there an option that ties them
> together somewhere? LOCK is off.
>
> I used the SUB receiver, and then I can listen to my xmit freq in one ear,
> but that doesn't seem necessary.
> Paul
> WY7I

Re: Spotting DX

Paul,

You may have held the SUB button in a bit too long and the VFOs were
'linked'
Hold the SUB button and you will see "unlink" briefly in the VFO B area.

Paul wrote:

> I've only had my K3 on the air for a couple days...trying to figure out all the bells and whistles.
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> K4M (Midway DXpedition) is transmitting on let's say, 7.004 listening up 25.
>
> So I go SPLIT, tune VFO B up to about 7.020. Now I want to spot the guy he's working and transmit there right afterward.
> I'm looking for the guy, I hit REV and listen. I don't hear him, so I want to tune up or down and find him. But when I turn VFO A's knob (which is showing my Xmit frequency, the VFO B display (K4M's run freq) also changes, so when I drop REV I'm no longer on his 7.004 frequency.
>
> How are you supposed to do this? Is there an option that ties them together somewhere? LOCK is off.
>
> I used the SUB receiver, and then I can listen to my xmit freq in one ear, but that doesn't seem necessary.
>
> Paul
> WY7I

Re: Spotting DX

DAVID M. Elliott
Paul,

Others have suggested unlinking the VFOs and this is necessary but not
really sufficient.  It all depends on the dx operators.  Those at K4M
seem to listen on the same frequency long enough for you to find them
and tailgate the previous station.  On the other hand, the Glorioso
operators mostly moved randomly over a large frequency range after
every QSO.  Impossible to tailgate.  Pick a frequency near the middle
of their listening range and just park there.  It takes a
frustratingly long time but it will work eventually assuming that your
signal is strong enough for them to hear it over the noise.

If you don't have the sub receiver, it makes this a lot easier.  I
consider it a necessity.

73 de W6BK

On Oct 15, 2009, at 6:19 AM, Paul wrote:

> I've only had my K3 on the air for a couple days...trying to figure
> out all the bells and whistles.
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> K4M (Midway DXpedition) is transmitting on let's say, 7.004
> listening up 25.
>
> So I go SPLIT, tune VFO B up to about 7.020. Now I want to spot the
> guy he's working and transmit there right afterward.
> I'm looking for the guy, I hit REV and listen. I don't hear him, so
> I want to tune up or down and find him. But when I turn VFO A's knob
> (which is showing my Xmit frequency, the VFO B display (K4M's run
> freq) also changes, so when I drop REV I'm no longer on his 7.004
> frequency.
>
> How are you supposed to do this? Is there an option that ties them
> together somewhere? LOCK is off.
>
> I used the SUB receiver, and then I can listen to my xmit freq in
> one ear, but that doesn't seem necessary.
>
> Paul
> WY7I

Re: Spotting DX

wb6rse1
With diversity RX on the K3 - IE VFOs synched, you can also operate
split. HOLD SPLIT to enable TX on VFO B. Then HOLD REV and use VFO A
to listen and tune to the split TX frequency. Release REV and
diversity RX is restored.

A very elegant implementation by designers who must also be actual
operators!

73 - Steve WB6RSE

Re: Spotting DX

DAVID M. Elliott
Yes.  Isn't it wonderful.  They also read this reflector and respond,
sometimes within minutes, to important issues.  Wouldn't it be nice if
some of our elected representatives did this?

73 de W6BK