T1 ATU problem?

sidney sudberg
I have been hooking up a G5RV Lite & I am hooking up the antenna twin lead
balanced line to an elecraft wideband HF balun I built which then connects
to a little Opek SWR meter & then to the T1 which connects to the radio,
either a K1 or an FT817ND. (Described in reverse direction.)

At first, I had a problem with a short coax connector that was not
conducting due to a broken PL259 connector so I removed that & converted it
to have two lugs to connect the balun to the end of the antenna feed line's
SO239.  When I put it all together at home & started testing conductivity &
ruling out any shorts or breaks, I noticed conductivity between the shields
& the center feed.  I finally isolated it to the T1 & wherever I test the
outer to the inner leads of the BNC connectors, there is no resistance &
they all conduct.  Something is wrong with this recently purchased
pre-built unit, wouldn't you agree?

I just want to be sure about this before I call &/or send it back for some
repair so I thought I would check to see what anyone thinks or might
suggest.

I don't think there is anything that I could have done to cause this but
one never knows, I guess.  Could I have done something to create a short in
the tuner by hooking it up improperly at one time or another, possibly?  I
would hate to think that these instruments are that 'fragile' but then
again I am not that experienced, yet, being a ‘rookie’.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank you,

*Sidney *

* *

(K6DMT)**

Re: T1 ATU problem?

Bruce Beford-2
Sidney- This is normal.
Take a look at the schematic for the T1 tuner (in the manual) and you will
see there is a DC path through transformer T2.

BTW- you can not/should not put your swr meter between the T1 tuner and the
antenna. It rightly belongs between the tuner and the radio.
GL,
Bruce, N1RX

Re: T1 ATU problem?

Bruce Beford-2
BTW Sidney-

If you are using the K1 you bought from me, keep in mind it has the KAT1
internal tuner. There should generally  be no need to use the T1 with it. If
you -do- use the T1, remember to put the internal tuner in the K1 in CLS or
CLP mode. See page 11 of the KAT1 manual I provided.

73,

Bruce, N1RX