This list.

Larry - K2GN
I recently purchased K3 Serial# 3278.
I've installed the last 2 Beta test releases.
I'm enjoying the radio very much.
My problem is this list.
Maybe it's usefulness to newer K3 owners is conversely proportional to sunspots!
There's been too many messages through here in the week with people voicing their pleasure and dis-pleasure with the K3,
The size, the layout, etc. etc.. I'm tried of the pickering and comparing!
Can't we just talk K3s, how we use this that or the other options so us newbie's can learn.
It's obvious that there are some very astute gentlemen here, that have (or have had) a lot of different radios to compare.
I brought a K3 to enhance my station, not to spend hours reading non relevant opinions of others.

(This should cause another couple of hundred useless messages.)
Please feel free to flame me, my filter(delete key) is working.

To Elecraft, thanks for the great radio.
But there is a need to clear this reflector and get it back to Elecraft related matters, not personal opinions!

de K2GN/Larry
K3 - S/N 3278

Re: This list.

David Gilbert

The K3 is an evolving rig, and this reflector ... warts and all ... is
one of the best ways the user community has for suggesting improvements
or identifying deficiencies (real or imagined).  I think some of the
stuff that pops up on this list is pretty fringe ... even silly at
times, but that which is irrelevant to you or me may be very important
to someone else (or to Elecraft), and I'm not sure that stuff you
haven't yet read in the manual is any more useful to the K3 community as
a whole than the other.

Dave   AB7E

Larry - K2GN wrote:

> I recently purchased K3 Serial# 3278.
> I've installed the last 2 Beta test releases.
> I'm enjoying the radio very much.
> My problem is this list.
> Maybe it's usefulness to newer K3 owners is conversely proportional to sunspots!
> There's been too many messages through here in the week with people voicing their pleasure and dis-pleasure with the K3,
> The size, the layout, etc. etc.. I'm tried of the pickering and comparing!
> Can't we just talk K3s, how we use this that or the other options so us newbie's can learn.
> It's obvious that there are some very astute gentlemen here, that have (or have had) a lot of different radios to compare.
> I brought a K3 to enhance my station, not to spend hours reading non relevant opinions of others.
>
> (This should cause another couple of hundred useless messages.)
> Please feel free to flame me, my filter(delete key) is working.
>
> To Elecraft, thanks for the great radio.
> But there is a need to clear this reflector and get it back to Elecraft related matters, not personal opinions!
>
> de K2GN/Larry
> K3 - S/N 3278

Re: This list.

Dave, G4AON
Larry you will find this list is like the news media, when it's a light
news day they come up with all manner of strange stuff.

Folks who hang around here do so because they are passionate about
Elecraft, their radios and their test equipment. When there's some big
change or a new product, all of a sudden that becomes the focus of
attention. Many on here have been using a K3 for up to 2 years,
initially there was a lot of "how to do this", or "it doesn't seem to do
this correctly, am I doing something wrong", but the rough edges have
long since worn off the firmware and it's much better for it.

I have a TS-480SAT, K1, K2 and K3. Guess what's running most of the time
I am home? You guessed, the K3. My 480 gets carted around to use car
portable on 6m in the summer (remote head means I can keep the
transceiver out of the sun) and the small head unit suits how I operate
/P, the K1 and K2 sadly gather dust.

73 Dave, G4AON

My problem is this list.
Maybe it's usefulness to newer K3 owners is conversely proportional to
sunspots!
There's been too many messages through here in the week with people
voicing their pleasure and dis-pleasure with the K3,
The size, the layout, etc. etc.. I'm tried of the pickering and comparing!

Re: This list

Julian, G4ILO
Larry - K2GN wrote
There's been too many messages through here in the week with people voicing their pleasure and dis-pleasure with the K3,
The size, the layout, etc. etc.. I'm tried of the pickering and comparing!
Can't we just talk K3s, how we use this that or the other options so us newbie's can learn.
It's obvious that there are some very astute gentlemen here, that have (or have had) a lot of different radios to compare.
I brought a K3 to enhance my station, not to spend hours reading non relevant opinions of others.
Hello Larry.

I suppose I should feel a little guilty about this, but surely people giving their opinion on how much they like or dislike aspects of how the K3 works *is* Elecraft-related? After you have spent more time using your K3 it's quite possible that you too will have some thoughts about it you'd like to share.

I do, however, understand how you may dislike your mailbox filling up with messages you have no interest in reading, which is why I long ago turned off direct email from the reflector and use Nabble: http://n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-f365791.html . Why don't you try it?
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

My K3 wish list

Peter, DL2FI
Not too much. I only wish the K3 will get some wheels in future release. If
it had wheels, I could do Ham Radio in Quadrophonie (assuming the Sub RX is
installed) while skating.

72/3 de Peter, DL2FI, very tired

Re: This list.

Doug Turnbull
Hi Larry,
    I am sorry that some of my e-mails may have added to your woe as it is
certainly not my intention to do so.   I enjoy the comments regarding the K3
and desired improvements but as for getting into arguments over the K3 well
it is not worth it.   My K3 has been in use now for about nine months and I
am continuing to learn from this list.   The K3 is a project in a constant
state of evolution and this just suits me fine- the engineer can return to
make improvements.   I hope you continue to enjoy yours and that my
mutterings do not upset you in future.   It is for me a great hobby, great
radio and great forum.

     Hope to meet you on the air and best to you and yours.

                73 Doug EI2CN

Re: This list

N5GE
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:40:02 -0700 (PDT), "Julian, G4ILO"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Larry - K2GN wrote:
>>
>> There's been too many messages through here in the week with people
>> voicing their pleasure and dis-pleasure with the K3,
>> The size, the layout, etc. etc.. I'm tried of the pickering and comparing!
>> Can't we just talk K3s, how we use this that or the other options so us
>> newbie's can learn.
>> It's obvious that there are some very astute gentlemen here, that have (or
>> have had) a lot of different radios to compare.
>> I brought a K3 to enhance my station, not to spend hours reading non
>> relevant opinions of others.
>>

>Hello Larry.
>
>I suppose I should feel a little guilty about this, but surely people giving
>their opinion on how much they like or dislike aspects of how the K3 works
>*is* Elecraft-related? After you have spent more time using your K3 it's
>quite possible that you too will have some thoughts about it you'd like to
>share.
>
>I do, however, understand how you may dislike your mailbox filling up with
>messages you have no interest in reading, which is why I long ago turned off
>direct email from the reflector and use Nabble:
>http://n2.nabble.com/Elecraft-f365791.html . Why don't you try it?

[snip]

I use a mail program named Agent for all of my email and newsgroup
activity.  It has a very good filtering system that allows me to
filter certain emails based on keywords found in the headers and
addresses of emails.  It's very easy to filter out the long winded off
and on topic discussions that occur from time to time in lists and
news groups.

For example the filter for this topic will become "subject: {this
list}" soon after I send this email.  Filters can be designed to
either highlight or delete messages, depending on your preference.

I read what interests me rather than wading through discussions that I
consider of no value or interest to me.

73,

Tom, N5GE

[hidden email]
K3 #806, K3 #1055, PR6,
XV144, XV432, KRC2,
W1 and other small kits.

2 W2 watt meters and
1 K144XV on order.

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: This list (K3)

Tom McCulloch
I'm not sure if this is a thread about K3 complaints or mailboxes being
filled with irrelevant K3 stuff.  The reason I don't know is that I don't
own a K3 and all of the posts about K3's are irrelevant *to me*.

Once again, I belief one of the guidelines for posting here request that we
all place something in the subject line ( "K3" in this example) which would
indicate that the post relates to something that would not be of interest to
ALL Elecraft users.  This way the filtering programs could do there thing
and separate those e-mails which the individual reader is not interested in.

When the K2 came out this wasn't much of an issue.  Then when the K1 and
others followed it became necessary.

Thanks
Tom
WB2QDG