Transit of Venus

Earl W Cunningham
A slight decrease in the illumination of the ionosphere by the sun will
occur on 8 June 2004 GMT.  Although this might not have a noticeable
effect on propagation, it may be of interest to radio amateurs.

The planet Venus will transit across the face of the sun for the first
time since 1882.  If the sun is above the horizon for you, you will be
able to be an eye-witness to this rare event.  Venus will enter the
eastern limb of the sun at about 0319Z and exit the western limb of the
sun at about 1119Z.  Venus will appear as a black dot about 1/30 of the
diameter of the sun as it passes in front it.

The event will be visible in the morning in Britain and most of Europe
and Africa, later in the day in the Middle East and across Russia and
India, and later still in the Far East, where it will be visible just
before sunset.

Use the same precautions to protect your eyes and/or telescope/binoculars
(dark filters) as you would when viewing a solar eclipse.

Will DX propagation be affected during this six-hour period?  I doubt it.

73, de Earl, K6SE
You must subscribe to post.
Subscriber Info (Addr. Change, Unsub etc): http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
Elecraft page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: Transit of Venus

Karl Larsen
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Earl W Cunningham wrote:

> A slight decrease in the illumination of the ionosphere by the sun will
> occur on 8 June 2004 GMT.  Although this might not have a noticeable
> effect on propagation, it may be of interest to radio amateurs.

        Alas, in the west we can't see a thing.