Transverters

Paul-288
Reflector Members and specifically:

Simon Lewis
Don Brown
Eric Swartz

Thank you for the help on the transverters.  This evening I removed the AB switch and made up connectors with RCA's coming off of the 60 meter module option and BNC on the other end for the Transverters..... but now I have a problem with incoming audio.  Yesterday, using the AB switch,  the incoming signal volume worked fine and now there is hardly and audible signal and no reading or just barely an S1 bar on incoming signals.

So maybe I jumpered something wrong or I used the wrong connection diagram or maybe I did not properly tune the 60 meter upgrade module when I put it in.....

Can any of you offer some insight into where I might start my troubleshooting on this....

FYI :

I am using the diagram on page 66 of the transverter manual and I used the jumper setting for -20 dBm(.01) to 0 dBm(1 mW) which is listed as the following connections:

JP1:  1-2
JP2:  2-3
JP3:  1-2
JP4:  1-2
JP5:  2-3
JP6   2-3

This XV144 is deaf as can be now.. and it was not with the High RF output and an AB switch.  So I have missed something somewhere!  XV 50 is low audio too.

By the way - How do you get those BNC  T-connectors to fit back there.  I had to use them in the vertical positon and then set the transverters on a book so they did not bend the wires coming out of the bottom of the T-connector when hooked up to the transverters.  Are you using a special BNC designed T connector that fits back there?

Thanks
Paul
K8QT
#3479 K2/100
XV144 and XV50

Re: Transverters

Martin-85
If you have the internal antenna tuner installed in your K2, here is a
different approach to hook up a transverter:

Use ANT 2 for the Transverters IN/OUT and set the maximum power to the
required level in the menu.

If your transverter has split connections for Input/Output, you need
the 160m/RX-Ant option.

In this case, use ANT 2 to drive the transverter and RX-Ant for the
RX-path of your transverter.
This setup worked here for 2 years now with a 50 Mhz Ten-Tec
Transverter and 2 SSB-Electronic-Transverters for 2m & 70cm .

--
Best regards,
 Martin

K2 #2706                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re: Transverters

Don Brown-4
Hi

According to Elecraft this is NOT a good way to connect the transverters. The isolation in the KAT2 is not good enough and you will most likely be transmitting a small amount of 10 meter RF into your HF antenna system when using the transverter unless you disconnect the HF antenna. I tried this hook up at first and abandoned it after the information came out from Elecraft to not use it. The low level IF I/O on the KX60M is a much better way to connect the transverters.

Don Brown

KD5NDB
  If you have the internal antenna tuner installed in your K2, here is a
  different approach to hook up a transverter:

  Use ANT 2 for the Transverters IN/OUT and set the maximum power to the
  required level in the menu.

  If your transverter has split connections for Input/Output, you need
  the 160m/RX-Ant option.

  In this case, use ANT 2 to drive the transverter and RX-Ant for the
  RX-path of your transverter.
  This setup worked here for 2 years now with a 50 Mhz Ten-Tec
  Transverter and 2 SSB-Electronic-Transverters for 2m & 70cm .

  --
  Best regards,
   Martin

  K2 #2706                            mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

  Post to: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
  Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com<http://www.elecraft.com/>

Re: Transverters

Don Brown-4
Hi

Make sure you are using the BNC on the right (J3) when looking at the back for the TX IF in and the one on the left (J2) for the RX IF out. The silk screen is backwards on some of the rear panels and there may be a little label over the original silk screen with the correct information on it. I have two early XVxxx and the silkscreen was backwards on both of them. You can order the correct label from Elecraft. Obviously the transverter will not work if the IF cables are reversed. This had me going in circles on one I built recently. When using the transverter with a single TX/RX cable J2 and J3 are connected together so it does not matter which one you use. But when using separate TX and RX cables the paths are split and J2 must be used for the RX and J3 for the TX.

The BNC tees will need to mount at a 45 degree angle and you will need to make up several short 3-6 inch coax jumpers to use to connect the transverter stack. You will also need to make a pair of BNC to RCA cables 2-3 feet to connect the transverter stack to the K2/XV60M

Don Brown
KD5NDB

  #3479 K2/100
  XV144 and XV50

  Post to: [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
  Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com<http://www.elecraft.com/>

Re: Re: Transverters

Paul-288
Don - Martin and the reflector members,

I "do not" have the internal tuner.  I "do have" the 100 watt option and
there is the 160 meter option installed.

Hopefully,  I would like to get the method suggested by Elecraft in the
publication to work correctly.

Any ideas or suggestions as to why the reduction in the audio level?  What
may have to be changed and where do I begin my pursuit to correct it?

Thanks
Paul
K8QT

  If you have the internal antenna tuner installed in your K2, here is a
  different approach to hook up a transverter:

  Use ANT 2 for the Transverters IN/OUT and set the maximum power to the
  required level in the menu.

  If your transverter has split connections for Input/Output, you need
  the 160m/RX-Ant option.

  In this case, use ANT 2 to drive the transverter and RX-Ant for the
  RX-path of your transverter.
  This setup worked here for 2 years now with a 50 Mhz Ten-Tec
  Transverter and 2 SSB-Electronic-Transverters for 2m & 70cm .

  --
  Best regards,
   Martin

  K2 #2706
mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Help:
http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm<http://mailman.qth.net/subscribershtm>
  Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com<http://www.elecraft.com/>

Re[2]: Re: Transverters

Martin-85
On Wednesday, July 7, 2004, 2:36:23 PM, Don Brown wrote:

DB> Hi

DB> According to Elecraft this is NOT a good way to connect the transverters. The isolation in the KAT2 is not good enough and you will most likely be transmitting a small amount of 10 meter RF into
DB> your HF antenna system when using the transverter unless you disconnect the HF antenna. I tried this hook up at first and abandoned it after the information came out from Elecraft to not use it.
DB> The low level IF I/O on the KX60M is a much better way to connect the transverters.

DB> Don Brown

Don, thank you for your reply.
I somehow missed the info from elecraft.

In addition to my post, i should say: Terminate Antenna 1 with a
dummyload. No good solution either......
hum..

DB> KD5NDB

g4ilo-2
I've been driving my Ten-Tec 6m transverter this way for a couple of years,
Martin. The cost of the K60XV plus all the mods and firmware upgrades my
old K2 would need would run to more than the cost of the transverter, and I
think the Ten-Tec needs a higher drive level than the K60XV provides
anyway.

After I read Don's post, I stuck my QRP wattmeter on the HF antenna
terminal with the K2 switched to the transverter, and I couldn't see the
slightest movement on the needle when I keyed down, so I don't think it's
really much to worry about.

Julian, G4ILO. (RSGB, ARRL, G-QRP, K2 #392)
G4ILO's Shack: http://www.qsl.net/g4ilo

Martin <[hidden email]> write: