UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Could somebody in the UK please tell me how much Import Duty (roughly) one
has to pay if one buys a factory built K3 (100 watt version).

With thanks,

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

Brendan Minish
You will have to pay Local VAT on the price (including shipping) + a
handling fee imposed by the shipping company (usually fairly small ) on
importation to the EU
there is no 'Duty' on amateur radio equipment coming into the EU
providing the correct tarrif codes are used and the paperwork is
correctly filled out. Elecraft are familiar with the paperwork
requirements.

I have 2 K3's and am selling the second one (SO2R is not for me! )
Contact me off list for spec and pricing. I can optionally configure it
to you requirements.

73
Brendan EI6IZ

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 23:13 +0000, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:

> Could somebody in the UK please tell me how much Import Duty (roughly) one
> has to pay if one buys a factory built K3 (100 watt version).
>
> With thanks,
>
> 73,
> Geoff
> GM4ESD

Brendan EI6IZ

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

Julian, G4ILO
You can also buy from QRP Project in Germany if you want to avoid the high shipping costs from the USA. I think German VAT is now cheaper than ours. The built K3s are I think professionally assembled in Germany from kits. It's a bit hard to find pricing on that website, though.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

M0XDF
Prices at http://www.qrp-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?AnbieterID=1
73 de M0XDF
--
Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability. -Cicero, statesman, orator, writer (106-43 BC)

On 10 Feb 2011, at 17:31, Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> QRP Project

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

Stephen  Prior
I haven't checked all their prices but have just done a comparison between
Elecraft and QRP.DE on the purchase of a P3 kit.

From Elecraft, including USPS shipping and 20% VAT, at $1.60 to £1;  £575.

From QRP.DE, including shipping and German VAT, at €1.17 to £1; £680.

I haven't bothered with a calculation for someone in the Eurozone buying
both ways, but for the UK there's no doubt that direct from Elecraft is
significantly cheaper, despite relative high shipping costs.  As a matter
of comparison, at today's exchange rate, the P3 would cost the equivalent
of £440 collected in person from Aptos.

I did a similar check some time ago on the K3 and came to much the same
relative difference.

73 Stephen G4SJP

On 10/02/2011 18:04, "David Ferrington, M0XDF" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Prices at http://www.qrp-shop.de/200/cgi-bin/shop.dll?AnbieterID=1
>73 de M0XDF
>--
>Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and
>virtue than education without natural ability. -Cicero, statesman,
>orator, writer (106-43 BC)
>
>On 10 Feb 2011, at 17:31, Julian, G4ILO wrote:
>
>> QRP Project

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

Peter, DL2FI

> From Elecraft, including USPS shipping and 20% VAT, at $1.60 to £1;
> £575.
>
> From QRP.DE, including shipping and German VAT, at €1.17 to £1; £680.

But thats only half the true.
There is another big difference: QRPproject warranty is two years and shipment under warrany is included. In USA you get one year warranty and as you live outside USA, you have to pay both way shipments even under warranty.

732 de Peter, DL2FI

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

Stephen  Prior
Peter,

I have to confess that you have a very good point there.  We are so used
to having good legally backed warranties in the EU that we forget that
they have to be paid for!  We mistakenly assume that nothing will go
wrong, although in the case of the K3 for example, its modular approach
would simplify matters.

Part of the disparity in prices, it must be said though, is that the
exchange rate with the Euro is not as favourable to us as it is with the
USD.  If we still had about €1.50 to £1 it would make all the difference!

73  Stephen G4SJP

On 11/02/2011 19:42, "DL2FI, Peter" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> From Elecraft, including USPS shipping and 20% VAT, at $1.60 to £1;
>> £575.
>>
>> From QRP.DE, including shipping and German VAT, at €1.17 to £1; £680.
>>
>But thats only half the true.
>There is another big difference: QRPproject warranty is two years and
>shipment under warrany is included. In USA you get one year warranty and
>as you live outside USA, you have to pay both way shipments even under
>warranty.
>
>732 de Peter, DL2FI

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

g3ymc
On 11 Feb 2011 at 20:42, DL2FI, Peter wrote:

> There is another big difference: QRPproject warranty is two years and
> shipment under warrany is included. In USA you get one year warranty and
> as you live outside USA, you have to pay both way shipments even under
> warranty.
>
> 732 de Peter, DL2FI

Maybe of relevance for some. But with the excellent support from Gary
and the team at Elecraft, plus the ability of most on here to carry out
repairs themselves, it must be pretty rare for complete kit to have to
be returned to Atpos. My 9 year K2 has never gone wrong, I have done
mods to it over the years and changed the volume control, but have
always had excellent service from Elecraft. The difference in cost for
us UK customers makes it a non-brainer.

I assume buying from QRPproject does not stop you getting technical
support from Elecraft?

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com

Re: UK Import Duty attracted by factory built K3.

temilinrogers

Every challenge is an opportunity in disguise. With our take my proctor exam for me service, unlock the doors to your potential. Our dedicated team sees the genius within you, waiting to shine. Embrace this chance to transform, to soar, and to redefine your academic journey.