Updated schmatics/errata question

Roland Whitsitt
Hi all,  I'm retracing the steps of a partially built K2 I got for free.  My origional schmatics are dated 10/6/02.  I noticed on the latest schmatics dated 1/27/04 there are some differences.  For example, just starting here but on the control board I noticed that the value of R21 went from 10k to 270k and a above it RP2 has been replaced with C46 .01.  Should I stick to the old plans or should I be replacing these circuits as they come up?
...I should have prefrenced all this by saying I know next to nothing about electronics.  Just barely the basics.
And sorry to drone on so, but...When I went to download the latest Errata, I noticed it's only one page.  Is there a collection of updates I need to be looking at somewhere?  My K2 # is 3090.
Thanks guys!
Roland in Stockton N5VWN

Re: Updated schmatics/errata question

n6wg
Roland
Since your K2 is of a specific vintage, I recommend
you build it as it was designed at that time.  When
you have it working, you can always do the upgrade
kits, if you really feel you need to.
I'm still using serial number 12, without any upgrades
except firmware.  The firmware came with the options
I've added over time, like the ATU.  That is probably
the slickest option you will find for the K2.  It truly
makes it a portable, go anywhere radio.
Good luck and 73
Bob N6WG

RE: Updated schmatics/errata question

Rich Lentz
C46 is part of the new "Key-Click" mod which requires different firmware in
the MCU than you have.

Trying to incorporate all of the newer mods is difficult for an experienced
kit builder/technician.  I would strongly recommend only following the
errata that came with your kit.  If you are not sure if you have it, then
request it from this reflector, include your serial number and if you have a
copy of the purchase order or box, the date it was sent.  Build it first
this way and get it working.

After it is working, then, look at the Elecraft MODS page and the various
web pages that have listings of mods and add those that are "Elecraft"
endorsed.  Many of those incorporated into the newer K2 are these mods and
are available on Elecraft, along with the necessary firmware (New MCU) when
needed.  Many are not needed if you are going to stay QRP.  Not all MODS are
necessary, for example, there was a long discussion on the need for the
key-click mod. It passed ARRL testing without, but if you are going to add
the KPA100, I would add it.  But make the basic K2 work first.

Rich,
KE0X

Re: Updated schmatics/errata question

Roland,

I strongly suggest that you complete building according to the manual
supplied with the K2.

After you have completed your K2 and have everything up and running, if you
want your K2 to be equal to the latest from Elecraft, look on the parts
ordering portion of the Elecraft website to determine what you need to bring
it up to current level.  The information about what you need based on your
K2 serial number is there.

Trying to integrate adding these upgrade mods into a current build of an
older K2 is an exercise only for those of us who have already built several
K2s, and even we can become confused at times with the changes.