VFO fine-coarse tuning

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Let's say I'm tuning in FINE mode (to the 1 Hz digit) and the VFO says 50.135.056. If I then go to COARSE (to the 100 Hz digit), tune to a VFO indication of, say, 50.145.0, I intuitively expect that the actual VFO frequency will be 50.145.000 -- but it continues to carry the FINE 10s and 1s digits as an offset, so the actual frequency is 50.145.056, which is revealed by tapping the FINE button. This was probably an intentional design choice based on how other rigs work -- but it's not the way it seems like it should be, to me. Intuitively, it seems like if it says 50.145.0, it should be 50.145.000. Am I completely wrong-headed here? Comments?

Bill W5WVO

RE: VFO fine-coarse tuning

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: VFO fine-coarse tuning

N5GE
On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 11:51:30 -0600, "Bill W5WVO" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Let's say I'm tuning in FINE mode (to the 1 Hz digit) and the VFO says 50.135.056. If I then go to COARSE (to the 100 Hz digit), tune to a VFO indication of, say, 50.145.0, I intuitively expect that the actual VFO frequency will be 50.145.000 -- but it continues to carry the FINE 10s and 1s digits as an offset, so the actual frequency is 50.145.056, which is revealed by tapping the FINE button. This was probably an intentional design choice based on how other rigs work -- but it's not the way it seems like it should be, to me. Intuitively, it seems like if it says 50.145.0, it should be 50.145.000. Am I completely wrong-headed here? Comments?
>
>Bill W5WVO

[snip]

I too have noticed that, Bill and it has caused me some negligible trouble at
times.

I hadn't thought about it much, but now that I have, I think it may be the
intent of the designers to let us switch between Fine and Coarse to speed the
movement to another frequency, not to zero out to the proper decimal point.  In
fact I would find it disconcerting to hear the CW pitch (freq) of the VFO change
upon pushing that button.

I did notice that if you move the VFO after selecting Coarse the third or second
decimal point is dropped, depending on whether you tap or hold.  That seems like
the best compromise to me.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

73,

Tom, N5GE - SWOT 3537 - Grid EM12jq

"Those who would give up
Essential Liberty to
purchase a little Temporary
Safety deserve neither
Liberty nor Safety"

An excerpt from a letter
written in 1755 from the
Assembly to the Governor
of Pennsylvania.

Support the entire Constitution, not
just the parts you like.

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.eQSL.cc/Member.cfm?N5GE

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: VFO fine-coarse tuning

Bill VanAlstyne W5WVO
Hi Ron,

"Channelization" is a subject that is beginning to create more and more
debate on the air. I must admit that, being a 6m operator where
channelization makes sense other than in a contest environment (the band is
large -- why QRM each other?), I might have a predisposition in that
direction.

But aside from the channelization debate, yes, I understand your initial
objection. The way to solve that is to simply leave the actual VFO frequency
unchanged when pressing the COARSE button -- but as soon as the VFO
frequency is moved, drop the offset.

Part of my "intuitive" feeling about this undoubtedly comes from how the
TS-2000 was designed to work, and I guess I'm used to that. I don't know
about current FT amd IC rigs.

Bill W5WVO

RE: VFO fine-coarse tuning

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

RE: VFO fine-coarse tuning

Julian, G4ILO
I don't feel a big need for the main VFO dial to zero out the insignificant digits, but I would like the first step of the RIT knob, when being used as a fast tuner, to go to the next rounded frequency step above or below.

I have noticed that a lot of SSB stations seem to be on exact multiples of 1KHz and this would avoid some need to use the main VFO knob when quickly tuining around. I don't think it's creeping channelization, I think it is just a natural tendency when you have a digital readout and are searching for a frequency to call CQ that you pick a "round" number to call on.
Julian, G4ILO. K2 #392  K3 #222 KX3 #110
* G4ILO's Shack - http://www.g4ilo.com
* KComm - http://www.g4ilo.com/kcomm.html
* KTune - http://www.g4ilo.com/ktune.html

Re: RE: VFO fine-coarse tuning

M0XDF
I second that, was using it today and thought that would be a good
action. And yes, I always start on the basis that someone is Tx on a
integral.
73 de M0XDF, K3 #174
--
When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long
and

On 3 Jul 2008, at 23:00, G4ILO wrote:

> I don't feel a big need for the main VFO dial to zero out the
> insignificant
> digits, but I would like the first step of the RIT knob, when being
> used as
> a fast tuner, to go to the next rounded frequency step above or below.
>
> I have noticed that a lot of SSB stations seem to be on exact
> multiples of
> 1KHz and this would avoid some need to use the main VFO knob when
> quickly
> tuining around. I don't think it's creeping channelization, I think
> it is
> just a natural tendency when you have a digital readout and are
> searching
> for a frequency to call CQ that you pick a "round" number to call on.

Re: VFO fine-coarse tuning

N0QO
I have noticed what you describe below with all versions of firmware.  I have verified that it occurs both on transmit and receive.  At the most you could be 99Hz off of your displayed freq. If you were at say 14.200099 in the fine mode and then switched to coarse display of 142000 you would actually be transmitting and receiving on 14.200099.  The 99Hz will always be there even if you move the VFO.  I find this irritating but since I am aware of it I can work around it.  I hope that it will merit a future update

73, Ken N0QO

Bill W5WVO wrote
Let's say I'm tuning in FINE mode (to the 1 Hz digit) and the VFO says 50.135.056. If I then go to COARSE (to the 100 Hz digit), tune to a VFO indication of, say, 50.145.0, I intuitively expect that the actual VFO frequency will be 50.145.000 -- but it continues to carry the FINE 10s and 1s digits as an offset, so the actual frequency is 50.145.056, which is revealed by tapping the FINE button. This was probably an intentional design choice based on how other rigs work -- but it's not the way it seems like it should be, to me. Intuitively, it seems like if it says 50.145.0, it should be 50.145.000. Am I completely wrong-headed here? Comments?

Bill W5WVO

re: VFO fine-coarse tuning

wayne burdick
Hi Ken (and Bill),

Quantizing the VFO in COARSE mode is on the list for a future firmware
revision. This will eliminate the offset you described.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

> I have noticed what you describe below with all versions of firmware.
> I have verified that it occurs both on transmit and receive.  At the
> most you could be 99Hz off of your displayed freq. If you were at say
> 14.200099 in the fine mode and then switched to coarse display of
> 142000 you would actually be transmitting and receiving on 14.200099.
> The 99Hz will always be there even if you move the VFO.  I find this
> irritating but since I am aware of it I can work around it.  I hope
> that it will merit a future update
>
> 73, Ken N0QO

---

http://www.elecraft.com