W2 and use with computer

Doug Joyce
GA:  Perhaps someone here can clarify something regarding the serial computer interface with the W2.

I want to use the W2 in a remote station installation to sense output power and tell me whether or not the KPA500 has been turned On.  To do this I plan to run the serial line from the W2 thru the Com1 transparent serial channel in a pair of RemoteRig RRC-1258MkIIs units.  The computer at the control site will be running the W2 Ver 1.1.9.6 software.  (There is no computer at the remote site where the K3 & KPA500 are located.)  Momentary switch closures to turn the K3 and KPA-500 ON will be provided by the remote switch capability of the MicroBit 1216H Web switch units.  Confirmation of the K3 being ON is provided by receive audio, but I need a power sensor to confirm that the KPA-500 has been turned ON and is actually transmitting.

Could someone provide confirmation that the power output level is automatically displayed by the W2 software anytime power output is displayed on the LEDs of the W2 unit itself.  What got me concerned is the explanation in the top paragraph of the Elecraft W2 Serial Interface Commands document Rev D.  It says in part "The W2 responds to commands for data supplied by the external system.  Nothing is sent until a command is received by the W2."

I've had a LP-100A for a couple of years and tried to use it but it requires a serial line bit rate of 115,200 baud whereas the RRC unit can only go up to 57,600.  It looks like the W2 will be the answer since its bit rate is only 9600 baud.

Please excuse the bandwidth.

73

Doug  VE3MV

Re: W2 and use with computer

Jack Brindle-2
Doug;

Why not just connect the serial port directly to the KPA500's PC port
so you can directly control and monitor the KPA500? You can control
power of the KPA500 through the serial port as well as command and
monitor it.

The KPA500 serial control spec is on the Elecraft web page in the
manuals section.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

On Sep 6, 2011, at 3:21 PM, D Joyce wrote:

> GA:  Perhaps someone here can clarify something regarding the serial
> computer interface with the W2.
>
> I want to use the W2 in a remote station installation to sense
> output power and tell me whether or not the KPA500 has been turned
> On.  To do this I plan to run the serial line from the W2 thru the
> Com1 transparent serial channel in a pair of RemoteRig RRC-1258MkIIs
> units.  The computer at the control site will be running the W2 Ver
> 1.1.9.6 software.  (There is no computer at the remote site where
> the K3 & KPA500 are located.)  Momentary switch closures to turn the
> K3 and KPA-500 ON will be provided by the remote switch capability
> of the MicroBit 1216H Web switch units.  Confirmation of the K3
> being ON is provided by receive audio, but I need a power sensor to
> confirm that the KPA-500 has been turned ON and is actually
> transmitting.
>
> Could someone provide confirmation that the power output level is
> automatically displayed by the W2 software anytime power output is
> displayed on the LEDs of the W2 unit itself.  What got me concerned
> is the explanation in the top paragraph of the Elecraft W2 Serial
> Interface Commands document Rev D.  It says in part "The W2 responds
> to commands for data supplied by the external system.  Nothing is
> sent until a command is received by the W2."
>
> I've had a LP-100A for a couple of years and tried to use it but it
> requires a serial line bit rate of 115,200 baud whereas the RRC unit
> can only go up to 57,600.  It looks like the W2 will be the answer
> since its bit rate is only 9600 baud.
>
> Please excuse the bandwidth.
>
> 73
>
> Doug  VE3MV

Re: W2 and use with computer

Brian Broggie-2
Hi, Doug!

The W2 acts exactly as described in the manual.  Send it a "F" and it
responds with Forward Power.  Our belief that the wattmeter should not
speak unless spoken to goes back to the W1 and Wayne Burdick's
philosophy of how electronic equipment should behave.

73,
Brian, W6FVI

On 9/6/2011 3:21 PM, D Joyce wrote:

> GA:  Perhaps someone here can clarify something regarding the serial computer interface with the W2.
>
> I want to use the W2 in a remote station installation to sense output power and tell me whether or not the KPA500 has been turned On.  To do this I plan to run the serial line from the W2 thru the Com1 transparent serial channel in a pair of RemoteRig RRC-1258MkIIs units.  The computer at the control site will be running the W2 Ver 1.1.9.6 software.  (There is no computer at the remote site where the K3&  KPA500 are located.)  Momentary switch closures to turn the K3 and KPA-500 ON will be provided by the remote switch capability of the MicroBit 1216H Web switch units.  Confirmation of the K3 being ON is provided by receive audio, but I need a power sensor to confirm that the KPA-500 has been turned ON and is actually transmitting.
>
> Could someone provide confirmation that the power output level is automatically displayed by the W2 software anytime power output is displayed on the LEDs of the W2 unit itself.  What got me concerned is the explanation in the top paragraph of the Elecraft W2 Serial Interface Commands document Rev D.  It says in part "The W2 responds to commands for data supplied by the external system.  Nothing is sent until a command is received by the W2."
>
> I've had a LP-100A for a couple of years and tried to use it but it requires a serial line bit rate of 115,200 baud whereas the RRC unit can only go up to 57,600.  It looks like the W2 will be the answer since its bit rate is only 9600 baud.
>
> Please excuse the bandwidth.
>
> 73
>
> Doug  VE3MV

Re: W2 and use with computer

Doug Joyce
Hi Jack:  It looks like the features of the Operate Tab in the KPA Utility
will provide what I need.  Now to get it working thru the RRC-1258 units.

Can I suggest that the KPA500 Owner's Manual be updated to point to the
Remote Control capability using the KPA Utility.  I completely missed it
until you gave me the pointer.  Thanks.

73,  Doug  VE3MV