W2 - no comm with PC

roger shirko
I have a previously working W2 that was relocated within my house to my
new shack location.

The W2 utility cannot locate the unit.  I've tried different USB/Serial adapters
but cannot see the unit from the PC (Windoze Vista - current updates)

The unit functions perfectly!!  the LED's show my power out, reflected power &
SWR
just fine, except I cannot get the utility to work ---

Yes, The utility was working before the move & I've tried different different
USB
ports on the PC to try to isolate the anomoly, to no avail ...

any ideas, other than sending the unit out the Calif ...

thanks & 73

 Roger -- KI4YQT
QCWA  #35380
SKCC # 7427
Skywarn POL-482
ARRL VE

Re: W2 - no comm with PC

Bill K9YEQ
I had that happen once.... I think it was the USB to Serial connector that
took a dump.  Do you have another one to try?  Before that.... Try
restarting your computer.  If that doesn't work, go to Start, Control Panel,
System, Hardware and look to see if the device shows up with informational
mark next to it.  (Yellow Exclamation) or some red marking, or an unknown
device.  If any of those are found you can right click and uninstall.  Then
go to Action tab and in the drop down and rescan for changes.  If it
reinstalls the same way, the right click on the device and then navigate to
a driver disc to install (assuming you have a disk). If that doesn't work...
Go to Windows update in the control panel and check for downloads to see if
the device is listed.  If none of that works, then refer to my first
sentence.

More than you wanted to know??? Probably... but now I won't have to retype
this process again in the future.

Bill
K9YEQ
K9YEQ
K2 and KX1 field tester, K3, P3, K1 and modules

Re: W2 - no comm with PC

Dick Dievendorff
A couple of ideas: verify that the plug is in the right jack on the back of the W2. And does the USB to serial adapter work with another device? Like a K3?

Dick, K6KR