What autotuner to use with KPA500?

AC6JA
Just wondering what most people are using with their KPA500's until the
KAT500 becomes available?
And how are you interfacing the tuner with the KPA500/K3 combination?
Was wondering if/how the LDG 600W or 1KW tuners would work with the
K3/KPA500 and if the One-Touch-Tune feature could be used?
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike  AC6JA

Re: What autotuner to use with KPA500?

Jim Bennett
Hi Mike -

Prior to building and operating KPA500 #585, I was using (1) a resonant 80 meter Inverted L, (2) a resonant 160 meter Inverted L, and (3) an 88-foot long, 45-foot high doublet, fed with 600 ohm ladder line and a 1:1 balun. My K3/100 internal tuner does a bang-up job matching this antenna on 80-6 meters, although it is pretty much an NVIS antenna on 80. Obviously, the KPA500 has no problem with the two Inverted L antennas. It is not at all happy with the doublet, so for now it is my RX antenna, when necessary. In a feeble attempt to remain on the other HF bands, I installed a Hustler 6BTV in the back yard, ground mounted, with 40 short radials "sewn" in the grass. Took a few hours to get resonance on the 80, 40, 30, 20, 15, and 10 meter CW bands, but I now have a temporary "all band" HF antenna that my KPA500 gets along with.

Neither me nor the XYL (KF6ZNT) is too thrilled with a 33-foot aluminum stick in the middle of the back yard, but she understands, and I get to operate on other than 80 and 160.

C'mon Elecraft - we need that KAT500!!!!! :-)

I had looked at the LDG tuners and the auto tuner(s) from MFJ, but don't want to shell out dollars for something that most likely will be inferior to the Elecraft unit.

Waiting semi-patiently for the upcoming KAT500 announcements……………

Jim / W6JHB
Folsom, CA

On   Monday, Jan 23, 2012, at  Monday, 5:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Just wondering what most people are using with their KPA500's until the
> KAT500 becomes available?
> And how are you interfacing the tuner with the KPA500/K3 combination?
> Was wondering if/how the LDG 600W or 1KW tuners would work with the
> K3/KPA500 and if the One-Touch-Tune feature could be used?
> Any info would be appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
> Mike  AC6JA

Re: What autotuner to use with KPA500?

Phil Hystad-3
I don't use an auto tuner with my K3+KPA500.  I use a Palstar AT1KM to a
delta loop antenna.  As soon as the KAT500 is available though, I will be
slapping the credit card on the counter and placing my order.

73, phil, K7PEH

On Jan 23, 2012, at 5:24 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Just wondering what most people are using with their KPA500's until the
> KAT500 becomes available?
> And how are you interfacing the tuner with the KPA500/K3 combination?
> Was wondering if/how the LDG 600W or 1KW tuners would work with the
> K3/KPA500 and if the One-Touch-Tune feature could be used?
> Any info would be appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
> Mike  AC6JA

Re: What autotuner to use with KPA500?

Phil Salas
I've been using a MFJ-998 for about four years - first with an ALS600 and
now with the KPA500.  The MFJ-998 works very well.  It has an amp-disable
feature that opens the amp-key line when SWR goes above a pre-set level, or
when the tuner starts tuning.  I modified my MFJ-998 so that it disables the
KPA500 via AUX connector pin11, which is even faster than opening the
amp-disable line.  Info on the MFJ-998 mod is in the "Equipment
Modifications" section of my website at www.ad5x.com.  I also have a review
of the MFJ-998 on my webiste.

I have my K3 set for 15 watts TUNE output, and I leave the MFJ-998 in the
full-auto mode.  So when I change bands or antennas I push TUNE on the K3.
If the SWR is 2:1 or greater the MFJ-998 disables the amp and tunes, then
re-enables the amp.  As most of my normal frequencies are already stored in
memory, the MFJ-998 usually clicks once and it is tuned.  And, of course, if
I forget to tune first or pick the wrong antenna, the MFJ-998 disables the
KPA500 as soon as I transmit.

I am looking forward to the KAT500 as I assume it will automatically pick a
previous memorized tuning solution whne you change bands or frequencies on
the K3 without having to transmit first.  But in the interim, the MFJ-998 is
a nice tuner.

Phil  - AD5X

Re: What autotuner to use with KPA500?

KD3RF
I am using a borrowed LDG600 with "somewhat" satisfactory results, but will also be buying a KAT500 if and when they are made available for purchase by Elecraft.

The LDG tunes all of my antennas well except for 160 meters, where it has trouble finding a match at times.  I'm using a 3 el cubical quad on 10/15/20 and a Butternut HF6V with 160 coil on the other bands.

The LDG is a great tuner, don't get me wrong... the principal challenge with it is that when the LDG AT600 does a "full"tune, the first thing it does is open all of the relays, which looks like an open circuit to the KPA500 and causes it to fault.

My other observation about LDGtuners in general is that they are very noisy with a lot of relay clatter while it is tuning.  I realize that's a minor complaint, but it would have been great if LDG had put in some noise dampening inside the tuner case to tone down the noise.

Mind you, I iave not done any modifications to the tuner to connect an amp disable line like Phil has done because the tuner does not belong to me.

Nor have I gone up and down every band and memorized a bunch of tuner settings like another user suggested to me.

Ideally the KAT500 will be well enough integrated to the K3 and the KPA500 to initiate a tuning sequence without causing the amp to fault.