What do I do now?

WA7YET
I purchased a KX3 when they were first introduced. Then life got in the way and all non-essentials were put on hold. Now things have improved and I've been thinking about breaking out my "brand new" KX3. What have I missed in my absence, and whats the best way to bring this beauty up to speed? Thanks in advance. Mike Eddy WA7YET

Re: What do I do now?

vk2rq
Download the Elecraft KX3 utility, and make a configuration backup before you do anything. Next, check the firmware version and upgrade that using the same utility. Read the manual and have a play with the functions to see what they do. Later on, you may want to do things like per-band I/Q nulling and temperature compensatin calibration procedures, but those can wait until you've had a chance to become more familiar with the radio. Enjoy!

73, Matt VK2RQ

> On 6 Apr 2015, at 2:06 pm, WA7YET <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I purchased a KX3 when they were first introduced. Then life got in the way
> and all non-essentials were put on hold. Now things have improved and I've
> been thinking about breaking out my "brand new" KX3. What have I missed in
> my absence, and whats the best way to bring this beauty up to speed? Thanks
> in advance. Mike Eddy WA7YET

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

Mike,

You do not have to do much at all.
Download the latest KX3 Utility and then update to the latest firmware
and operate.
Then at a more leisurely pace, go to the Elecraft website and review the
KX3 hardware updates available - you do not have to do any of them
unless you want to do it or have a particular problem associated with
those upgrades.
Also review the KX3 Application Notes and do any of those that you would
like.  There is one that you should check on before installing
batteries, and that is the one dealing with the battery holder mounting
screws - you may or may not have the problem mentioned.

You might also want to apply some epoxy glue around the input power
jack, especially if you are not using the right angle power plug. The
power jack on very early KX3s were not glued and the power jack could
break away from the board causing intermittent power problems.  I did
have that problem with mine.

I have the first KX3 that came off the production line and have not yet
found the need to do any of the hardware upgrades, but I have done some
of the procedures in the application note, not because it was needed,
but I wanted to 'walk' through the procedure for the experience.

On 4/6/2015 1:06 AM, WA7YET wrote:
> I purchased a KX3 when they were first introduced. Then life got in the way
> and all non-essentials were put on hold. Now things have improved and I've
> been thinking about breaking out my "brand new" KX3. What have I missed in
> my absence, and whats the best way to bring this beauty up to speed? Thanks
> in advance. Mike Eddy WA7YET

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

Bill Frantz
In addition to the advice from everyone else, consider Fred
Cady's book  E740241 or E740242 - "The Elecraft KX3" <http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#kx3>.

73 Bill AE6JV

On 4/5/15 at 10:06 PM, [hidden email] (WA7YET) wrote:

>I purchased a KX3 when they were first introduced. Then life got in the way
>and all non-essentials were put on hold. Now things have improved and I've
>been thinking about breaking out my "brand new" KX3. What have I missed in
>my absence, and whats the best way to bring this beauty up to speed? Thanks
>in advance. Mike Eddy WA7YET

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

Jim Brown-10
On Mon,4/6/2015 11:25 AM, Bill Frantz wrote:
> In addition to the advice from everyone else, consider Fred Cady's
> book  E740241 or E740242 - "The Elecraft KX3"
> <http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#kx3>.

It's always a good idea to study the manual that comes with any new
product. In addition to the one "in the box," Elecraft updates the
manual every year or two and puts the newest version on the website as a
pdf.

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

Phil Wheeler-2
I agree with Bill: Fred's books are all first rate.

Another thing you might want to do is call
Elecraft tech support on the phone and ask them.
They'll know your KX3 serial number and what you
have in it, so are in the best position to advise
you about any hardware updates, or add in boards
you may want add.

Plus, if you've not done so, download the KX3
utility and update your firmware to the latest
released version.

Then, too, consider adding the PX3 to your KX3.
With Fixed-Tune mode firmware nearing release,
it's particularly valuable; the PX3 really
enhances my use of the KX3.

73, Phil W7OX

On 4/6/15 11:25 AM, Bill Frantz wrote:

> In addition to the advice from everyone else,
> consider Fred Cady's book  E740241 or E740242 -
> "The Elecraft KX3"
> <http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#kx3>.
>

> 73 Bill AE6JV
>
> On 4/5/15 at 10:06 PM, [hidden email]
> (WA7YET) wrote:
>
>> I purchased a KX3 when they were first
>> introduced. Then life got in the way
>> and all non-essentials were put on hold. Now
>> things have improved and I've
>> been thinking about breaking out my "brand new"
>> KX3. What have I missed in
>> my absence, and whats the best way to bring
>> this beauty up to speed? Thanks
>> in advance. Mike Eddy WA7YET

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

WA7YET
Thank you everyone for all the great tips. I ordered Fred's book today and I look forward to following the rest of your recommendations!

Listen for me soon from the middle of the Pacific!

Mike Eddy WA7YET
Maui, Hawaii

Re: What do I do now?

Phil Hystad-3
So, how do you have time for ham radio when you are a stone's throw from the
water on Maui? !

I will listen for you, Hawaii comes into the Seattle area like gangbusters usually.

73, phil, K7PEH
K3, KX3, KX1

> On Apr 6, 2015, at 8:57 PM, WA7YET <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you everyone for all the great tips. I ordered Fred's book today and I
> look forward to following the rest of your recommendations!
>
> Listen for me soon from the middle of the Pacific!
>
> Mike Eddy WA7YET
> Maui, Hawaii

> Message delivered to [hidden email]

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

Phil Wheeler-2
Paddle Board Portable, Phil? :-)

Phil W7OX

On 4/7/15 7:10 AM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> So, how do you have time for ham radio when you are a stone's throw from the
> water on Maui? !
>
> I will listen for you, Hawaii comes into the Seattle area like gangbusters usually.
>
> 73, phil, K7PEH
> K3, KX3, KX1
>
>> On Apr 6, 2015, at 8:57 PM, WA7YET <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you everyone for all the great tips. I ordered Fred's book today and I
>> look forward to following the rest of your recommendations!
>>
>> Listen for me soon from the middle of the Pacific!
>>
>> Mike Eddy WA7YET
>> Maui, Hawaii

Message delivered to [hidden email]

Re: What do I do now?

phil h
I am SO GLAD the OP asked this question, as I got my KX3 back in 8/2012, with the KXAT3 and KXFL3, MH3 and the deluxe Buddipole. (The KXBC3 was backordered so wasn't available).  I just now opened the box (-- please don't ask why --), read thru the manual, reviewed my order & contents, and just now ordered the KXBC3.
I was worried about whether there were hardware updates which would be incompatible with the latest firmware downloads... that stuff happens sometimes (like Ubiquiti Networks equipment). Please confirm that isn't the case?
Meanwhile for the past 2-1/2 years have been subscribing to the Elecraft [kx3] mailing list. I noticed that the traffic has slowed down considerably the past several months. I used to briefly scan the topics/questions.

Anyway first thing to do is flash new firmware, right?

I'm a fairly new Ham, and my only contacts have been on 2m. Looking forward to my first HF contact soon. I'm in northern Alabama (after being stationed overseas for 12 years).
Thanks!

Phil KD8PH