XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Doug Phillips
After corresponding with Wayne a little today, I have my XG3 running a
0dBm into a Parr 6M stressed Moxon aimed South at about 45' agl, CN87xo,
just east of Seattle.  The frequency set on the XG3 is 50.025MHz, my
K3/10 thinks it is a little lower but not by much.  The XG3 is set to
send 5 seconds of 0dBm tone, then W7RDP/B at 15 wpm CW, then 10 seconds
of tone at 0dBm, repeating every 60 seconds.

One thing I found out is to add a word space before the call otherwise
the first letter is truncated, and I added one after just in case.

73, Doug W7RDP

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

kevinr@coho.net
Nothing heard yet.  How far below 50.025 does your K3 hear it?
    Kevin.  KD5ONS  CN85jq

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:48:15 -0700, Doug Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After corresponding with Wayne a little today, I have my XG3 running a
> 0dBm into a Parr 6M stressed Moxon aimed South at about 45' agl, CN87xo,
> just east of Seattle.  The frequency set on the XG3 is 50.025MHz, my
> K3/10 thinks it is a little lower but not by much.  The XG3 is set to
> send 5 seconds of 0dBm tone, then W7RDP/B at 15 wpm CW, then 10 seconds
> of tone at 0dBm, repeating every 60 seconds.
>
> One thing I found out is to add a word space before the call otherwise
> the first letter is truncated, and I added one after just in case.
>
> 73, Doug W7RDP

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

kevinr@coho.net
I have scanned from 50.020 to 50.030 on both my 6 meter horizontal loop
and on my G5RV.  No signals at all except for one birdie.
    Kevin.  KD5ONS  CN85jq

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:48:15 -0700, Doug Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After corresponding with Wayne a little today, I have my XG3 running a
> 0dBm into a Parr 6M stressed Moxon aimed South at about 45' agl, CN87xo,
> just east of Seattle.  The frequency set on the XG3 is 50.025MHz, my
> K3/10 thinks it is a little lower but not by much.  The XG3 is set to
> send 5 seconds of 0dBm tone, then W7RDP/B at 15 wpm CW, then 10 seconds
> of tone at 0dBm, repeating every 60 seconds.
>
> One thing I found out is to add a word space before the call otherwise
> the first letter is truncated, and I added one after just in case.
>
> 73, Doug W7RDP

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
Hello Kevin,

Trust that all is well with you.

It crossed my mind that if your QTH is off the back of Doug's W7RDP/B Moxon
and you are some distance apart, you might not hear his XG3 beacon because
of the large f/b ratio that is typical of a Moxon. For example one of my
wire 40m beams was a Moxon and was back on to Continental Europe (DLs, Is
and such), and its f/b was a good 30ish db depending on the angle of arrival
of the Eu signals.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Kevin Rock
On June 21, 2011 at 22:06 Z, Kevin Rock wrote

>I have scanned from 50.020 to 50.030 on both my 6 meter horizontal loop
> and on my G5RV.  No signals at all except for one birdie.
>    Kevin.  KD5ONS  CN85jq

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
Administrator
Also, at 0 dBm power output, his XG3 may only be audible to fairly
close stations unless there's a serious band opening.

Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:

> Hello Kevin,
>
> Trust that all is well with you.
>
> It crossed my mind that if your QTH is off the back of Doug's W7RDP/
> B Moxon
> and you are some distance apart, you might not hear his XG3 beacon
> because
> of the large f/b ratio that is typical of a Moxon. For example one
> of my
> wire 40m beams was a Moxon and was back on to Continental Europe
> (DLs, Is
> and such), and its f/b was a good 30ish db depending on the angle of
> arrival
> of the Eu signals.
>
> 73,
> Geoff
> GM4ESD
>

> Kevin Rock
> On June 21, 2011 at 22:06 Z, Kevin Rock wrote
>
>> I have scanned from 50.020 to 50.030 on both my 6 meter horizontal
>> loop
>> and on my G5RV.  No signals at all except for one birdie.
>>   Kevin.  KD5ONS  CN85jq

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

kevinr@coho.net
I should be line of sight to Seattle.  I know I am south of it and he is
using a gain antenna.  Do you think he will reach beyond the outskirts of
Seattle?
    Kevin.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:26:00 -0700, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Also, at 0 dBm power output, his XG3 may only be audible to fairly close
> stations unless there's a serious band opening.
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
>
>> Hello Kevin,
>>
>> Trust that all is well with you.
>>
>> It crossed my mind that if your QTH is off the back of Doug's W7RDP/B
>> Moxon
>> and you are some distance apart, you might not hear his XG3 beacon
>> because
>> of the large f/b ratio that is typical of a Moxon. For example one of my
>> wire 40m beams was a Moxon and was back on to Continental Europe (DLs,
>> Is
>> and such), and its f/b was a good 30ish db depending on the angle of
>> arrival
>> of the Eu signals.
>>
>> 73,
>> Geoff
>> GM4ESD
>>

>> Kevin Rock
>> On June 21, 2011 at 22:06 Z, Kevin Rock wrote
>>
>>> I have scanned from 50.020 to 50.030 on both my 6 meter horizontal loop
>>> and on my G5RV.  No signals at all except for one birdie.
>>>   Kevin.  KD5ONS  CN85jq

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
Administrator
Do we have any experts at path-loss calculations (over typical
Seattlian terrain) on the list?

Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Kevin Rock wrote:

> I should be line of sight to Seattle.  I know I am south of it and
> he is using a gain antenna.  Do you think he will reach beyond the
> outskirts of Seattle?
>   Kevin.
>

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:26:00 -0700, Wayne Burdick
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Also, at 0 dBm power output, his XG3 may only be audible to fairly
>> close stations unless there's a serious band opening.
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Kevin,
>>>
>>> Trust that all is well with you.
>>>
>>> It crossed my mind that if your QTH is off the back of Doug's
>>> W7RDP/B Moxon
>>> and you are some distance apart, you might not hear his XG3 beacon
>>> because
>>> of the large f/b ratio that is typical of a Moxon. For example one
>>> of my
>>> wire 40m beams was a Moxon and was back on to Continental Europe
>>> (DLs, Is
>>> and such), and its f/b was a good 30ish db depending on the angle
>>> of arrival
>>> of the Eu signals.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Geoff
>>> GM4ESD
>>>

>>> Kevin Rock
>>> On June 21, 2011 at 22:06 Z, Kevin Rock wrote

>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

AC7AC
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

kevinr@coho.net
I am at one half the required altitude.  Guess I'll wait for reports of Es
and then try again.  Now that the frequency is in memory and the loop is
reattached things will go more quickly.
    Kevin.  KD5ONS

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:01:40 -0700, Ron D'Eau Claire <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No expert here, but a little scratch-pad geometry suggests that, assuming
> the Seattle station is at sea level (which Seattle is typically), Kevin's
> mountain would have to be at least 3500 feet ASL for just line of sight.
> Probably need to add 20% to that to clear the Fresnel zone.
>
> One the coast here I'm definitely not line of sight and would need to
> experience a great band opening.
>
> My personal best QRP record is an AM QSO from near Los Angeles to Denver
> Colorado running about 100 mW on an Army AN/PRC6 Korean War era hand-held
> with a 1/4 wave flex antenna sticking out of the top.
>
> But that was during the huge sunspot event in the late 1950's.
>
> Ron AC7AC

Not an expert Wayne, but earned my $ calculating path loss at HF up to
microwave during point-to-pont, mobile and relay systems design "back then"
using the classic 4/3 Earth Radius approach at VHF-Microwave. Unfortunately
my relevant data is packed, but I understand that the path between Kevin and
Doug is about 150 miles. So in spite of the elevation of Kevin's QTH, at 50
MHz the path would not appear to be true line of sight but Fresnel Zone
obstructed, which together with any loss added by local obstructions such as
dense tree growth and buildings could put the beacon's signal below Kevin's
noise floor.

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

On June 21, 2011 at 23:40 Z, Wayne Burdick wrote:

> Do we have any experts at path-loss calculations (over typical
> Seattlian terrain) on the list?
>
> Wayne
> N6KR
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Kevin Rock wrote:
>
>> I should be line of sight to Seattle.  I know I am south of it and
>> he is using a gain antenna.  Do you think he will reach beyond the
>> outskirts of Seattle?
>>   Kevin.
>>

>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 15:26:00 -0700, Wayne Burdick
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Also, at 0 dBm power output, his XG3 may only be audible to fairly
>>> close stations unless there's a serious band opening.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>> N6KR

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

KD7PY
I am 18.42 miles NW of the beacon, per Google Earth.
 no sig detected yet...but as night falls and band noise drops we might have a chance.
my location is north Seattle between I5 & Hwy99 on 145th
I am at 475 ft asl...7 el LFA at 55ft......K3 of course..........

Ed   K7WIA     CN87TR

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
Administrator
Perhaps someone with a mobile 6-m rig will drive by.

Wayne
N6KR

On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:38 PM, K7WIA wrote:

> I am 18.42 miles NW of the beacon, per Google Earth.
> no sig detected yet...but as night falls and band noise drops we
> might have
> a chance.
> my location is north Seattle between I5 & Hwy99 on 145th
> I am at 475 ft asl...7 el LFA at 55ft......K3 of course..........
>
> Ed   K7WIA     CN87TR

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

kevinr@coho.net
Dense stands of trees no longer exist on my mountain.  Many, many square
miles of timber have been clearcut in the last ten years.  Now I can see
for a very long way :)
    Kevin.

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:37:27 -0700, Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not an expert Wayne, but earned my $ calculating path loss at HF up to
> microwave during point-to-pont, mobile and relay systems design "back
> then"
> using the classic 4/3 Earth Radius approach at VHF-Microwave.
> Unfortunately
> my relevant data is packed, but I understand that the path between Kevin
> and
> Doug is about 150 miles. So in spite of the elevation of Kevin's QTH, at
> 50
> MHz the path would not appear to be true line of sight but Fresnel Zone
> obstructed, which together with any loss added by local obstructions
> such as
> dense tree growth and buildings could put the beacon's signal below
> Kevin's
> noise floor.
>
> 73,
> Geoff
> GM4ESD
>

> On June 21, 2011 at 23:40 Z, Wayne Burdick wrote:
>
>> Do we have any experts at path-loss calculations (over typical
>> Seattlian terrain) on the list?
>>
>> Wayne
>> N6KR
>>
>> On Jun 21, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Kevin Rock wrote:
>>
>>> I should be line of sight to Seattle.  I know I am south of it and
>>> he is using a gain antenna.  Do you think he will reach beyond the
>>> outskirts of Seattle?
>>>   Kevin.

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

N5GE

I'm watching this with great interest and anticipation from EM12jq!

73,
Tom

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
ARRL Lifetime Member
QCWA Lifetime Member

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:48:15 -0700, Doug Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

>After corresponding with Wayne a little today, I have my XG3 running a
>0dBm into a Parr 6M stressed Moxon aimed South at about 45' agl, CN87xo,
>just east of Seattle.  The frequency set on the XG3 is 50.025MHz, my
>K3/10 thinks it is a little lower but not by much.  The XG3 is set to
>send 5 seconds of 0dBm tone, then W7RDP/B at 15 wpm CW, then 10 seconds
>of tone at 0dBm, repeating every 60 seconds.
>
>One thing I found out is to add a word space before the call otherwise
>the first letter is truncated, and I added one after just in case.
>
>73, Doug W7RDP
>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

wayne burdick
Administrator
We need more beacons :)

Wayne

On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm watching this with great interest and anticipation from EM12jq!
>
> 73,
> Tom
>
> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
> ARRL Lifetime Member
> QCWA Lifetime Member
>

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:48:15 -0700, Doug Phillips <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> After corresponding with Wayne a little today, I have my XG3
>> running a
>> 0dBm into a Parr 6M stressed Moxon aimed South at about 45' agl,
>> CN87xo,
>> just east of Seattle.  The frequency set on the XG3 is 50.025MHz, my
>> K3/10 thinks it is a little lower but not by much.  The XG3 is set to
>> send 5 seconds of 0dBm tone, then W7RDP/B at 15 wpm CW, then 10
>> seconds
>> of tone at 0dBm, repeating every 60 seconds.
>>
>> One thing I found out is to add a word space before the call
>> otherwise
>> the first letter is truncated, and I added one after just in case.
>>
>> 73, Doug W7RDP
>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

N5GE

Next year in the early spring or summer KC5DRE and I will be going through that
part of the world after attending a family reunion at Tahoe.  Maybe we will hear
it on our way up to Washington State

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:47:01 -0700, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Perhaps someone with a mobile 6-m rig will drive by.
>
>Wayne
>N6KR

[snip]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

Jack Chomley
Make a 100 milliwatt model XG3 :-)

73,

Jack VK4JRC

Sent from my iPad

On 22/06/2011, at 9:57 AM, Wayne Burdick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need more beacons :)
>
> Wayne
>
> On Jun 21, 2011, at 4:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> I'm watching this with great interest and anticipation from EM12jq!
>>
>> 73,
>> Tom
>>
>> Amateur Radio Operator N5GE
>> ARRL Lifetime Member
>> QCWA Lifetime Member
>>

>> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:48:15 -0700, Doug Phillips <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> After corresponding with Wayne a little today, I have my XG3
>>> running a
>>> 0dBm into a Parr 6M stressed Moxon aimed South at about 45' agl,
>>> CN87xo,
>>> just east of Seattle.  The frequency set on the XG3 is 50.025MHz, my
>>> K3/10 thinks it is a little lower but not by much.  The XG3 is set to
>>> send 5 seconds of 0dBm tone, then W7RDP/B at 15 wpm CW, then 10
>>> seconds
>>> of tone at 0dBm, repeating every 60 seconds.
>>>
>>> One thing I found out is to add a word space before the call
>>> otherwise
>>> the first letter is truncated, and I added one after just in case.
>>>
>>> 73, Doug W7RDP
>>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

>> Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

KD7PY
I will post this on the PNWVHF reflector and see if we can get some east side guys to take a check.
I would like to know just what the real Freq of the beacon is, I"ll keep a eye out for it using spectran.......

Ed   K7WIA   CN87TR

Re: XG3 6M beacon W7RDP/B on the air

KD7PY
I can detect the beacon using WSJT9, but I can not hear it in the speaker,
The freg I have for zero beat in CW-REV is 50.02576.  and I should be close, calibrated w/ sprectran w/WWV

I see a 20 second line on the waterfall every 60 seconds and have been for the last 15 minutes.

my K3 does not have the PR6 preamp..  just using the one in the K3..

Ed  K7WIA
12