XTAL AND DSP simply is the best design

WA2JJH
You look at the TS-870, 746pro, and many other DSP rigs all make the same
stupid design flaw.

  Dual conversion DSP!  No multiple pole xtal filter.
No computer algorythm can emulate a multipe pole IF filter. These are your
$2000-$3000 rigs

  The TS-850 had dual xtal IFs. However there was much junk from all  the
CPU's and yes up conversion, then downconversion and demod after the 2nd IF
filter adds to the noise floor.

  How the R-7A did it was interesting. A 4 pole Fixed Xtal filter  followed
the upconverter.
It has a pass band of 12kcs. That's right a 12Khz wide IF. This gives this
collectors radio
its used price tag of $2000. The 2nd IF used those 8 pole can  filters.

  I found the K-2 has crystal clear SSB with the 1.8khz filter  position. The
R-7A the SSB gets muffled at 1.8khz. I use 1.8 khz only on the K2.  The TR-7
used a 2 pole filter after up conversion.

  If you look at the schematic of the TS-850, you see the dual IFs are  in
the back of the receiver. So after upconversion the passband is 50kc wide.  That
is a large window for synth junk to get in. HOWEVER IF YOU USE CW filters  in
both IFs, your CW reception will be as good as a K2

  The K2 wisely put much non xtal filtering right after the antenna  jack.
The band pass filters are wide enough for the Ham bands and very little  general
coverage. You lose general coverage ability of an R-7A. However do  you
really need a short wave rcvr in a ham rig?

  So yes one can compare the K2 with up to $3000 dollar rigs.
However on SSB TX the K2 comes up average. It is average because the SSB
adapter is a simple design. The all important audio chain is mostly in 2 chips.
However I always get good audio reports. A RF proc of the TS-850's design
would  make the K2 rock.

  There is a cheap way of doing this. There are a few speech procs  that go
between the mic and rig. They are true RF procs. Your audio is up  converted to
500kc. The 500Kc RF is processed by using an AGC like amp. At the  RFstage
more compression can be used with out AUDIO DISTORTION. Any RF clipping  by
products are filtered out. The DSB signal is then down converted back to  audio
with the exact same phase it entered the device.

  So one is feeding in audio that was RF processed. One can use up to  12db
of RF processing. Audio processing gets distorted after 6db. One company  makes
this device for $60. It can be put in the mic or in the rig.
   I am ordering one. I will give on air checks for those that  want too.

Re: XTAL AND DSP simply is the best design

N8LP
I remember I had one of the first of those external rf clipper
processors about 20 years ago... it was called Com-something. They used
an "if" of about 50 kHz, with LC filters... it worked amazingly well and
was sought after by DXers and contesters.

Larry N8LP

[hidden email] wrote:

>You look at the TS-870, 746pro, and many other DSP rigs all make the same
>stupid design flaw.
>
>  Dual conversion DSP!  No multiple pole xtal filter.
>No computer algorythm can emulate a multipe pole IF filter. These are your
>$2000-$3000 rigs
>
>  The TS-850 had dual xtal IFs. However there was much junk from all  the
>CPU's and yes up conversion, then downconversion and demod after the 2nd IF
>filter adds to the noise floor.
>
>  How the R-7A did it was interesting. A 4 pole Fixed Xtal filter  followed
>the upconverter.
>It has a pass band of 12kcs. That's right a 12Khz wide IF. This gives this
>collectors radio
>its used price tag of $2000. The 2nd IF used those 8 pole can  filters.
>
>  I found the K-2 has crystal clear SSB with the 1.8khz filter  position. The
>R-7A the SSB gets muffled at 1.8khz. I use 1.8 khz only on the K2.  The TR-7
>used a 2 pole filter after up conversion.
>
>  If you look at the schematic of the TS-850, you see the dual IFs are  in
>the back of the receiver. So after upconversion the passband is 50kc wide.  That
>is a large window for synth junk to get in. HOWEVER IF YOU USE CW filters  in
>both IFs, your CW reception will be as good as a K2
>
>  The K2 wisely put much non xtal filtering right after the antenna  jack.
>The band pass filters are wide enough for the Ham bands and very little  general
>coverage. You lose general coverage ability of an R-7A. However do  you
>really need a short wave rcvr in a ham rig?
>
>  So yes one can compare the K2 with up to $3000 dollar rigs.
>However on SSB TX the K2 comes up average. It is average because the SSB
>adapter is a simple design. The all important audio chain is mostly in 2 chips.
>However I always get good audio reports. A RF proc of the TS-850's design
>would  make the K2 rock.
>
>  There is a cheap way of doing this. There are a few speech procs  that go
>between the mic and rig. They are true RF procs. Your audio is up  converted to
>500kc. The 500Kc RF is processed by using an AGC like amp. At the  RFstage
>more compression can be used with out AUDIO DISTORTION. Any RF clipping  by
>products are filtered out. The DSB signal is then down converted back to  audio
>with the exact same phase it entered the device.
>
>  So one is feeding in audio that was RF processed. One can use up to  12db
>of RF processing. Audio processing gets distorted after 6db. One company  makes
>this device for $60. It can be put in the mic or in the rig.
>   I am ordering one. I will give on air checks for those that  want too.
>
>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: XTAL AND DSP simply is the best design

Stewart Baker
A British company called Datong brought out an RF clipper a few years back. It
used active filters to tailor the mic audio then CMOS switches to produce a DSB
signal at 50kHz, diode clip it, and demod it back to audio. They made 3 products
- an upmarket one with switches to select the clip level, one with pots on the
front panel, and a board to fit in any suitable box or TX. It worked like a
champ. They are still available on the second user market.
I believe that a company in Germany now does an updated version.

RF speech clipping is the most effective simple audio processing as it does not
produce in-filter distortion products, unlike clipping at audio base band.

73
Stewart G3RXQ

 On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 03:33:31 -0500, Larry Phipps wrote:

> [...]
>> would  make the K2 rock.
>>
>> There is a cheap way of doing this. There are a few speech procs  that go
>> between the mic and rig. They are true RF procs. Your audio is up
>> converted to
>> 500kc. The 500Kc RF is processed by using an AGC like amp. At the  RFstage
>> more compression can be used with out AUDIO DISTORTION. Any RF clipping  by
>> products are filtered out. The DSB signal is then down converted back to
>> audio
>> with the exact same phase it entered the device.
>>
>> So one is feeding in audio that was RF processed. One can use up to  12db
>> of RF processing. Audio processing gets distorted after 6db. One company
>> makes
>> this device for $60. It can be put in the mic or in the rig.
>> I am ordering one. I will give on air checks for those that  want too.

R: XTAL AND DSP simply is the best design

I0SKK - Alessandro Santucci
Yes I can confirm it! I got it abt 15 yaers ago and used and had a great
succes in QRP/SSB. I still have it, but now I use just CW and don't use the
clipper now.
Look for this type and you'll have very good results.

Best 72

Alex I0SKK

> [...]

>> converted to
>> 500kc. The 500Kc RF is processed by using an AGC like amp. At the
RFstage
>> more compression can be used with out AUDIO DISTORTION. Any RF clipping
by

>> products are filtered out. The DSB signal is then down converted back to
>> audio
>> with the exact same phase it entered the device.
>>
>> So one is feeding in audio that was RF processed. One can use up to  12db
>> of RF processing. Audio processing gets distorted after 6db. One company
>> makes
>> this device for $60. It can be put in the mic or in the rig.
>> I am ordering one. I will give on air checks for those that  want too.
>>
>> Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>> Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com

Re: XTAL AND DSP simply is the best design

Bill Coleman-2

On Mar 4, 2005, at 2:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> You look at the TS-870, 746pro, and many other DSP rigs all make the
> same
> stupid design flaw.
>
>   Dual conversion DSP!  No multiple pole xtal filter.
> No computer algorythm can emulate a multipe pole IF filter.

That's not true. In theory, it is possible for DSP filters to produce
filters with far, far better characteristics than multiple-pole crystal
or mechanical filters.

The real problem is reducing it to practice. You'd need DSP functioning
at RF frequencies -- not AF as many rigs today. But, as the sample rate
goes up, so does the required processing power.

An audio-level DSP is a compromise.

>   The TS-850 had dual xtal IFs. However there was much junk from all
> the
> CPU's and yes up conversion, then downconversion and demod after the
> 2nd IF
> filter adds to the noise floor.

The 850 is still a great radio.

>   How the R-7A did it was interesting. A 4 pole Fixed Xtal filter
> followed
> the upconverter.
> It has a pass band of 12kcs. That's right a 12Khz wide IF.
>  The 2nd IF used those 8 pole can  filters.

This is typical for modern transceivers with general-coverage receive.
Most of them have a first filter of 15 kHz, typically to support NBFM.
They usually have good dynamic range over 20 kHz splits, but this
degrades markedly at 5 kHz. That's why the Orion and the IC-7800 have
multiple roofing filters.

>   The K2 wisely put much non xtal filtering right after the antenna
> jack.
> The band pass filters are wide enough for the Ham bands and very
> little  general
> coverage. You lose general coverage ability of an R-7A. However do  you
> really need a short wave rcvr in a ham rig?

It's certainly a specific design decision. Most solid-state
japanese-made rigs from the mid-80s touted general-coverage receive as
a feature. Other manufacturers have seen this benefit as well. Ten-Tec
had a micro-processor controlled rig with general coverage receive. It
had some problems in the receiver chain because of all the junk put out
by the heterodyne PLL.

Suddenly, it occurred to someone to go back to a crystal-controlled
heterodyne oscillator. This meant losing general-coverage receive and
using a bunch of crystals. But, for a brief time, the Omni-V was one of
the best receivers on the market.

The K2 is a much more clever design -- still no general-coverage
receive, but it covers all 10 MF/HF ham bands quite well.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [hidden email]
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901