XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

David Pratt
I have just been reading the Transverter XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly
Manual Rev B, March 2006 and notice on page 2 that the top cover has
ventilation holes drilled in it.  My XV144 does not have any ventilation
holes.

Should I drill some vent holes in the top cover, over the four
metal-oxide resistors?  My XV144 does get hot and sometimes trips out if
I transmit more than a few minutes. (Presumably F1, the resettable
fuse.)

As there is space on the RF Board for a fan, similar to that used on the
XV432, I am wondering whether there would be any advantage fitting a
40mm x 40mm fan to the XV144?  Presumably, I would need to drill
air-flow holes in the PCB and also in the bottom cover.

David G4DMP
Leeds, England, UK
------

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

N5GE
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:01:45 +0000, David Pratt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have just been reading the Transverter XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly
>Manual Rev B, March 2006 and notice on page 2 that the top cover has
>ventilation holes drilled in it.  My XV144 does not have any ventilation
>holes.
>
>Should I drill some vent holes in the top cover, over the four
>metal-oxide resistors?  My XV144 does get hot and sometimes trips out if
>I transmit more than a few minutes. (Presumably F1, the resettable
>fuse.)
>
>As there is space on the RF Board for a fan, similar to that used on the
>XV432, I am wondering whether there would be any advantage fitting a
>40mm x 40mm fan to the XV144?  Presumably, I would need to drill
>air-flow holes in the PCB and also in the bottom cover.
>
>73

No need to drill the holes or get a fan for any of the other XV
Models.  They don't get hot like the XV432 does.

Tom, N5GE

[hidden email]
K3 #806 with SUB RX, K3 #1055, PR6,
XV144, XV432, KRC2,
W1, 2 W2's and other small kits

1 K144XV on order

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

Giulio Pico - IW3HVB
I'm not so sure about this, at least for the holes.
My old XV144 have them since it came out of the factory...,
Maybe it is a simple packing mistake.
Try ask to elecraft support, maybe they can clear it out.

73 de Giulio IW3HVB
> No need to drill the holes or get a fan for any of the other XV
> Models.  They don't get hot like the XV432 does.

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

David,

The holes only vent the attenuators, the heat sink for the output module
is the bottom plate.
Whether the attenuators need venting or not depends on your drive level
- the attenuators are not used at all for 1 mW input, so if that is what
you are using, rest easy.

I am curious about why your top cover does not have the holes.  It is
possible that you received an incorrect cover.  If this was a recent
purchase, things like that are covered under warranty, contact
[hidden email] with a brief explanation and you may receive the
right cover.

David Pratt wrote:

> I have just been reading the Transverter XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly
> Manual Rev B, March 2006 and notice on page 2 that the top cover has
> ventilation holes drilled in it.  My XV144 does not have any ventilation
> holes.
>
> Should I drill some vent holes in the top cover, over the four
> metal-oxide resistors?  My XV144 does get hot and sometimes trips out if
> I transmit more than a few minutes. (Presumably F1, the resettable
> fuse.)
>
> As there is space on the RF Board for a fan, similar to that used on the
> XV432, I am wondering whether there would be any advantage fitting a
> 40mm x 40mm fan to the XV144?  Presumably, I would need to drill
> air-flow holes in the PCB and also in the bottom cover.
>
> 73

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

Johnny Siu
Hello David,

I think some group members have already answered your question about vent holes.

According to the manual, it should operate at either 20w SSB/CW or 10w FM fully duty cycle.  Even you operate at 10W FM, the case is still extremely hot.

As mentioned in this reflector many times, XV144 is very good but not cheap.  It is a waste if it can only operate in low duty cycle mode and become extremely hot under 10W FM.  Therefore, I modified it with reference to XV432 with an additional small fan inside and drill additional holes in the PCB.

Some of the group members replied to me on the heat issues off the list with variety of suggestions.

In conclusion, if XV144 is operated at FM mode even at the specified 10 watt, it is very hot.  I wrote my product review in www.eham.net

73

Johnny VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ David Pratt <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2009/12/13 (日) 4:01:45 AM
主題: [Elecraft] XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

N5GE
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 22:39:28 +0100, Giulio Pico - IW3HVB
<[hidden email]> wrote:

I guess my XV144 doesn't get hot because I drive it with 1mw.  There
are holes in it above the attenuation resistors.

73,

Tom, N5GE

[hidden email]
K3 #806 with SUB RX, K3 #1055, PR6,
XV144, XV432, KRC2,
W1, 2 W2's and other small kits

1 K144XV on order

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

>I'm not so sure about this, at least for the holes.
>My old XV144 have them since it came out of the factory...,
>Maybe it is a simple packing mistake.
>Try ask to elecraft support, maybe they can clear it out.
>
>73 de Giulio IW3HVB
>> No need to drill the holes or get a fan for any of the other XV
>> Models.  They don't get hot like the XV432 does.

>Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Amateur Radio Operator N5GE

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

Johnny Siu
The heat is NOT quite generated from the 3 x 160 ohms attenuation resistors.

It does come from the heat dissipation from the RF power module RA30H1317M when operating under Elecraft published specifications i.e. 20w SSB/CW or 10w continous carrier modes e.g. FM.

73

Johnny Siu VR2XMC

----- 郵件原件 ----
寄件人﹕ Radio Amateur N5GE <[hidden email]>
收件人﹕ Elecraft Reflector <[hidden email]>
傳送日期﹕ 2009/12/13 (日) 2:31:22 PM
主題: Re: [Elecraft] XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

<[hidden email]> wrote:

I guess my XV144 doesn't get hot because I drive it with 1mw.  There
are holes in it above the attenuation resistors.

73,

Tom, N5GE

[hidden email]
K3 #806 with SUB RX, K3 #1055, PR6,
XV144, XV432, KRC2,
W1, 2 W2's and other small kits

1 K144XV on order

http://www.n5ge.com
http://www.swotrc.net

>I'm not so sure about this, at least for the holes.
>My old XV144 have them since it came out of the factory...,
>Maybe it is a simple packing mistake.
>Try ask to elecraft support, maybe they can clear it out.
>
>73 de Giulio IW3HVB
>> No need to drill the holes or get a fan for any of the other XV
>> Models.  They don't get hot like the XV432 does.

      Yahoo!香港提供網上安全攻略,教你如何防範黑客! 請前往 http://hk.promo.yahoo.com/security/ 了解更多!

Re: XV50, XV144, XV222 Assembly Manual

David Pratt
It's a fairly early purchase, Don, and has a steel top cover with no
vent holes.  It is a pity that the XV--- transverters do not have serial
numbers so they can be identified.  I will drill 30 holes in the area of
the Metox resistors.

In a recent message, Don Wilhelm <[hidden email]> wrote ...
>I am curious about why your top cover does not have the holes.  It is
>possible that you received an incorrect cover.  If this was a recent
>purchase, things like that are covered under warranty, contact
>[hidden email] with a brief explanation and you may receive the
>right cover.

73

David
--